Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm second guessing my decision to buy a Augen Gentouch

I am not in a position to pay a lot for one of these tablets, so I chose the gentouch because it was one that I could afford. I also wanted to buy from a US company so that I would have the option to return it more easily. It has not been available locally, so I ordered it directly from Kmart.com. Since I ordered, I have gone to many sites with info about the gentouch. Of them all, livingenzymes site is the best I have found. But, that said, I am second guessing my decision to purchase this tablet. There seem to be many things wrong with it, and although there is a fix for most of them, I must be one of the "electronically challenged" because I think it looks kind of complicated. Many things to download, changing file extensions, and installing are required. I'm not stupid, but I am 62 years old and things are not quite as easy for me as they used to be. I tried to cancel my order, but it was too late. I can, however, return it to the nearest Kmart when I receive it. I will be out my shipping cost but maybe it will be a small lesson learned. So, when I receive it I will have a decision to make....try updating and doing some of the fixes or return it?
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
The gentouch isn't for everyone. For me, it was kinda fun figuring stuff out on my free time while watching tv. In fact, I put that site together in one evening while watching a couple movies.

You should try to get refund for your shipping, too. Just insist on it.

Ps this post is typed up using my gentouch. I think it works great for me.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
clerky96
Connoisseur

Thanks for your reply. I will ask about the shipping, but the customer service rep told me I would not get that refunded. The tablet was $149.99 on their website and it was supposed to be $169.99 in their store, so they won't be out anything even if they refund my shipping. Oh well. I will see. Thanks again.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerky96 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I will ask about the shipping, but the customer service rep told me I would not get that refunded. The tablet was $149.99 on their website and it was supposed to be $169.99 in their store, so they won't be out anything even if they refund my shipping. Oh well. I will see. Thanks again.
One thing I have learned is if you insist enough they will go your way. Remember that things are not written in stone. The customer rep could say one thing, but insistence will get you more. What have you got to lose? Just keep insisting on it.

Edit.

Just so you know, you probably don't need to do all the things I adviced on my website. The gentouch would do just fine if you just upgrade to patchv3.

The regular user of any electronic device probably never do any modification. For example, most people who buy a PC from best buy probably never do anything to get rid of all the extra crap they put in the OS. You know, all the trial programs like office, antivirus, etc. And if you don't do anything and just use the PC as is, you're probably fine.

However, it's always nice to know how to get rid of all the crap they preinstalled in your PC to save memory and processing power.

90% of the content on my site are just recommendations. If you're the average user, upgrade to patchv3 is probably all you have to do to survive. Hope that helps.

Last edited by jblitereader; 08-24-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
clerky96
Connoisseur

Thanks. I basically plan to use it for internet (when away from home), checking my email (my own email at my providers site-not gmail), and ebook reading. I wish the g-sensor would work so that I can read the book vertically, but can live with reading it horizontally. I can even do without the ebook reading as I have a kindle 1, but would like to only drag along 1 device when we go somewhere. So I will probably try the patchv3 and go from there. I just get nervous about "screwing something up". If I am understanding correctly, this patchv3 includes the previous patches. Correct? Thanks again for the info and for taking the time to set up your website. It has great information.
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
jblitereader
Addict

Yes, patchv3 contains all the other patches. Also, ireader has a setting where you can tell it to turn vertical or horizontal. Or you can follow my instructions on how manually rotate this device at a click of a button in #4.

I can't rotate the screen.