Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-31-2007, 09:41 AM   #16
Vaporware
Not here yet.
Vaporware began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2 Ebook Reader
It's easy to conclude that the SD card consumes more power per page turn than sony MS. Not much, but it might add up to some pages in the end. That and the difference between internal and external MS format might be slightly significant.
Vaporware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:11 PM   #17
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Great work!

Another area of power consumption that has gotten some posting space here is that of mp3 files. Unlike books, they consume power as long as they are playing. Could you run some tests with them from both the internal memory and from the same SD card that you used before. Also could you check both the startup power consumption and the power consumption over a period of time. This may give us some indication of the playback length available on the battery.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 08:52 PM   #18
ecmartinjr
ecmartinjr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Battery Power when playing music

Hi: I am trying to find an external battery that would provide power for about 15 to 20 hours of music. Another poster has suggested the Universal 9800 mAh external battery found at www.dealextreme.com which can connect in via the UBS jack. I have queried the supplier as to suitabity but have not yet heard back. Do you have any suggestions? As I write this I am on (long) hold with Sony tech support. Thus far, none of their support folks have a clue. Ed
ecmartinjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:03 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why don't you just use a cheap MP3 player? Any of these should easily give you 20h+ music playback. The Reader makes a pretty lousy MP3 player, and it's dangerous too - all too easy to inadvertantly leave it playing and drain the battery flat.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmartinjr View Post
Hi: I am trying to find an external battery that would provide power for about 15 to 20 hours of music. Another poster has suggested the Universal 9800 mAh external battery found at www.dealextreme.com which can connect in via the UBS jack. I have queried the supplier as to suitabity but have not yet heard back. Do you have any suggestions? As I write this I am on (long) hold with Sony tech support. Thus far, none of their support folks have a clue. Ed
I don't see a 9800 mAh unit there, but I do see an 8800 mAh unit for ~$75 that's about as big as an iPod Classic, and a ~$14 12000 mAh one that's almost as big as an iPod Classic.

I got one of these on sale at Best Buy for ~$40 -- it's the size of a pack of gum and runs for ~16 hours on a charge, plus it has a full GB of memory to the 505's 120 MB, and takes Micro SD Cards if you want more. And it does Audible.com books (which was my aim in getting it).

I offer that as one example of another way to listen to audio that makes better sense to me than using my Reader.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The link to the 9800mAh battery is http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3303
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #22
ns66
Connoisseur
ns66 doesn't litterns66 doesn't litter

Device: sony reader
i am curious how much power is being saved when ereader is turned off completely, as compared to stand by

since we know to boot it back up takes power, so if don't use it for N days, it's better to turn off and reboot than let it standby, i wonder what N is :P
ns66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:46 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ns66 that is a really good question. I would love the answer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #24
woldinghamuk
Enthusiast
woldinghamuk doesn't litterwoldinghamuk doesn't litter

Device: ebookwise 1150 + sony reader 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can charge it from USB without the driver. Just use linux and libprs500.
is there any special usb charger for Europe? (for the 500 - got mine yeasterday)
woldinghamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
So far as I've ever heard, the only way to USB charge a 500 is with via a computer with the Sony Software or libprs500 installed on it.

You can wall-charge it with a Sony PSP charger, however.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #26
woldinghamuk
Enthusiast

Yes, I know about the sony psp charger, but there are quite a few of them (different types to me - not very clever about these toys) and since I am in the Czech Republic, I would not want to destroy my reader (got it yeasterday) by choosing the wrong one.. any pics out here?

I found this in my local e-store: http://www.speed-link.cz/sony-psp/mo...tand/1182.html

Last edited by woldinghamuk; 01-08-2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: added link
Old 01-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #27
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You need one with a round connector output, not USB.
I think this one should work:
http://www.speed-link.cz/sony-psp/ka...pter/5547.html
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:07 AM   #28
woldinghamuk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
You need one with a round connector output, not USB.
I think this one should work:
http://www.speed-link.cz/sony-psp/ka...pter/5547.html
Thanks a lot , I will check it out in their store. Blanka