Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #16
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I see your point, Hamster, but I disagree with it. I don't want extra functions that add size or weight...and I LOVE the blank space on the case for holding...but a dictionary function could be firmware only. It would be a bit kludgy, agreed, but it looks like it could work.

Nice avatar, BTW. Kelly Freas?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #17
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
It's a part of the cover of the first SF book I ever read, "Conscience Interplanetary" by Joseph Green. I had to search a little, but yes, it is Kelly Freas. Good eye.

BTW: Even firmware comes with some "weight". Boot time may be longer, the dictionary would take up memory, and if they are working on that then they aren't doing other stuff like adding in the ability to disable the new autoshutdown "feature".
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
<<BTW: Even firmware comes with some "weight". Boot time may be longer, the dictionary would take up memory, and if they are working on that then they aren't doing other stuff like adding in the ability to disable the new autoshutdown "feature".>>

That's true.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #19
nebcanuck
Kobo user
nebcanuck began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I will say that for all that I think it's a fun thought experiment to figure out how the interface could work, I don't really think I would use features like read aloud and dictionary very often. If there was a significant sacrifice in terms of cost or time, I wouldn't want to see such a thing included.

I would rather Kobo beat Amazon in selling below $100 than see them add a bunch of features. The strength of the Kobo is, as stated previously in this thread, the simplicity of the machine.
nebcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #20
sark666
Connoisseur
sark666 began at the beginning.

Device: colognesbook
I think dividing the lines in groups to ultimately get focus on the desired line is very interesting, but I also worry if it wouldn't be too intuitive at first.

I saw at first, because people can get used to all sorts of things in software that can even initially feel like 'quirks' but are actually a fast (or fastest) way of doing something.

However, software companies are weary of doing that and with good reason. They want things to make sense immediately.

I, like others thought of activating it (which could be a new menu option in display/menu) and then a cursor appears on first,last or middle word and the user selects with the d-pad and then presses ok.

Intuitive, but probably the slowest. I think the happy medium is what another user suggested with once the dictionary function is selected, it initially selects an entire line with up/down selecting the line, left right to focus on the word.

With that, the only hiccup I could see if the user unintentionally pressed left/right and needs to get back to line selection. But that's easily solved by simply pressing up/down and having it revert to line mode.
sark666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert