Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #16
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
In the pic is the left kindle at an angle? It looks like its raised slightly almost on the graphite edge.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #17
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
It's looks obvious that the background is whiter (a lighter gray) and the font is blacker.

Not enough to make me buy another Kindle DX, but for first timers or people who were thninking to buy another, the choice is obvious.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #18
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
The background is still far too dark for my taste.
I do not want to have to use a lamp to be able to read indoors.
I will wait for the next generation e-ink.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #19
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Wow, that's a pretty dramatic improvement. 50% seems about right here. I know that the graphite frame adds to the perceived contrast, but even with the isolation images, I can still see a huge difference.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #20
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
In the pic is the left kindle at an angle?
Not to mention out of focus?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #21
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Although that photo isn't the greatest (blurry, uneven lighting?) you can definitely see a difference. Are the Pearl screens the same resolution as the Viziplex ones?
Yes they're the same resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
In the pic is the left kindle at an angle? It looks like its raised slightly almost on the graphite edge.
The lens used to take the image is a superzoom at its widest angle of view, and it shows an optical effect called barrel distortion. There may be minor angling differences, but most of the unevenness of the picture comes from that distortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Not to mention out of focus?
The focus problem could be a number of things, but I'd hazard a guess that it was decentering...a lens defect or perhaps damage. I'm not sure why people are criticizing this though, as it is not relevant near the center of the frame, where a useful comparison can still be made. It's not scientific, but any good pair of eyes can interpret a real difference between the two screens.

The picture does not fail at its basic goal, despite its flaws.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #22
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
I would say that the difference between the two screens is a lot more vast than the picture can show.... you just have to see the new screen in person.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:12 PM   #23
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
I would say that the difference between the two screens is a lot more vast than the picture can show.... you just have to see the new screen in person.
Yes, those photos appear pretty half-vast to me.

The displays are very difficult to photograph accurately-- I found that out when I tried taking photos of my PRS-300 when it first arrived.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #24
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
A couple of weeks ago I saw my first Kindle in target. My impression was that the surrounding frame was SO white that it made the screen background look terrible. And that is similar to the type of screen that I have. I then went down the street to look at the nook. The white was not so very bright white and the screen itself looked ok. My border is black to counter that gray/silver look.

The combination of a black border and the new eInk Pearl screen is great. To me it looks much more than just a 50% improvement. If I could replace my screen I would.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:01 AM   #25
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Kindle Graphite DX unboxing. The link goes to the middle of the video where you can see that indeed the new screen background looks much whiter.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:10 AM   #26
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
MobileTechReview First Look at Kindle DX Graphite

Several comparison pictures there... MTR posits that the main contrast enhancer in the KDXG is the blacker blacks of the text; the background is still a shade of gray (though lighter than previous e-ink displays).
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:52 AM   #27
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
As more people get these devices, hopefully some more competent camera users will take some good close-up photos. If the difference is truly in the blacks, then it'd be very interesting to see how it looks at higher magnification (so we can see the capsules).
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #28
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
The technology will continue to improve but I'm pretty happy with my Nook right now. Very easy to read at all sorts of different light levels. I'm sure eventually we'll look back and say, "Remember when we paid over a hundred dollars for an e-reader and the screens were gray? And now they give them away in cereal boxes to get kids to read."
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #29
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Almost all the pictures are pretty much useless to make a proper direct comparison. Especially the OP's quoted one, which seems to have been taken at f1 with a tilt-shift lens.

The only statement you can really make from these is that the Pearl display has darker text.

I suppose this one is fairly useful:

I'd expected the grey of the screen itself to be lighter, too.

This guy comments on increased 'speckling' of the Vizplex screen:

Seems to me the letters are a more uniform colour, rather than having a larger number of graduated tones of black -> grey as the present screens have. Is much of the contrast increase down to changed software rather than hardware? Will the new type have greater contrast but be harsher to read in good lighting conditions, even?

Last edited by Richey79; 07-08-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #30
dougf4
Connoisseur
dougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Tablet (Rooted), jetbook lite
Nice to see Amazon catching up to the $99.00 Jetbook.

dougf4 is offline   Reply With Quote