Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #31
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Dammit, now we are back to square one. Are you sure your address didnt slip back to your UK address?
Old 07-02-2010, 02:52 AM   #32
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer
arvsinha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Try changing the address to another country for a few days and then change back to US. It worked in my case.
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 05:22 AM   #33
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I have emigrated to the UK and will emigrate back in a few days and see if my delinquent status is removed!

I apologise also for mentioning SSN - looking at the list now it doesn't include that, just passport, military ID etc. Phew.

Here is the text of their message:

I see that you attempted to purchase "Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery (Kindle Edition)" while in a different country than United States listed on your Amazon account. Certain Kindle titles are not available everywhere. We are reaching out to you to ensure the best possible service for your account.

If you have moved to a different country, you can easily update your country for your Amazon account at www.Amazon.com/manageyourkindle

If this is not the case, and you would like to share information that you live in United States, we can be reached by fax at 001-206-266-1838 from outside the US, or 206-266-1838 from within the US. Helpful information includes:
– Passport
– Military ID
– Permanent Resident Card
– Driver’s License
– Other state photo identity card

We want to assure you that we handle this information in a secure manner: these are dedicated fax lines, staffed in an area with limited employee access. The fax is never printed, just converted to an electronic image that is used to check the country, then the image is deleted.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:46 AM   #34
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer
arvsinha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I think they charge an extra 2 dollar wireless delivery charges for books outside the US even if you just download the book onto the computer and upload to kindle. It is unfair cause I have a kindle 2 US Version, which does not receive whispernet coverage (I dont live in the US ) anyways and i always need to download the books via the computer.
Just there way of ensuring that you pay the extra 2 dollars for the free books that they give off from time to time.
Would love to hear what happened about your delinquent status - In a few days.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:57 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvsinha View Post
I think they charge an extra 2 dollar wireless delivery charges for books outside the US even if you just download the book onto the computer and upload to kindle.
Depends where you live. The $2 is no longer charged in the UK, for example.
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
Here is the text of their message:

I see that you attempted to purchase "Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery (Kindle Edition)" while in a different country than United States listed on your Amazon account. Certain Kindle titles are not available everywhere. We are reaching out to you to ensure the best possible service for your account.

If you have moved to a different country, you can easily update your country for your Amazon account at www.Amazon.com/manageyourkindle

If this is not the case, and you would like to share information that you live in United States, we can be reached by fax at 001-206-266-1838 from outside the US, or 206-266-1838 from within the US. Helpful information includes:
– Passport
– Military ID
– Permanent Resident Card
– Driver’s License
– Other state photo identity card

We want to assure you that we handle this information in a secure manner: these are dedicated fax lines, staffed in an area with limited employee access. The fax is never printed, just converted to an electronic image that is used to check the country, then the image is deleted.
That's the standard e-mail they send in this situation. It's entirely legit.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #37
cruff
cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
They want my Social Security Number or some other proof that I live in the USA!
I can't imagine that Amazon has any possible legal authority to have your SSN, you should definitely refuse to give it to them.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #38
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
Which law would that be?
I'm of the mind that the only legal limitation is due to geographic limitations put into contracts between the authors and the publisher.

An author would much rather sell the US rights, the CDN rights, the UK rights, the NK rights all separately, I suspect, and the publisher wants a guarantee, in return, that no other publisher will be selling books in their territory....all contractually bound in writing. IANAL but doubt there are any laws that prevent international sales of items IF the contract originally signed had permitted them. I'd blame the authors and the agents, here, as much as publishers.

Last edited by guyanonymous; 07-02-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:39 AM   #39
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon is just a shop. I would never provide any of those details to a shop. Maybe that means they might close my account. Then so be it.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:23 AM   #40
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
I'm of the mind that the only legal limitation is due to geographic limitations put into contracts between the authors and the publisher.

An author would much rather sell the US rights, the CDN rights, the UK rights, the NK rights all separately, I suspect, and the publisher wants a guarantee, in return, that no other publisher will be selling books in their territory....all contractually bound in writing. IANAL but doubt there are any laws that prevent international sales of items IF the contract originally signed had permitted them. I'd blame the authors and the agents, here, as much as publishers.
The point is: why do they say that the sale is in the country where the company/webshop is located when a pbook is sold en that the sale is in the country of the buyer for an ebook? Wouldn't it be simpler to always say that the sale is in the location of the seller? Or is there a law that says that the sale of an ebook is in the location of the buyer? I rather doubt that because that should then be a kind of international law. Or is there some kind of international agreement about this? I really would like to know why this is so.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:56 AM   #41
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Wouldn't it be simpler to always say that the sale is in the location of the seller?.
Interesting question. Who is committing the offence, the seller or the buyer? Surely if the books are registered for SALE (which includes distribution) in the US (and I suspect that is the case) then it is irrelevant who buys it.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:22 AM   #42
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
It's the same reason for having a different VAT for paper books and ebooks, diferent kind of good. I don't know exactly the law but you're asking for logic in laws. Pleeeeease
Old 07-03-2010, 03:23 AM   #43
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Interesting question. Who is committing the offence, the seller or the buyer? Surely if the books are registered for SALE (which includes distribution) in the US (and I suspect that is the case) then it is irrelevant who buys it.
Paper? Yes. eBook? No. It depends on the buyer, sorry, ilogical but true.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:31 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
The point is: why do they say that the sale is in the country where the company/webshop is located when a pbook is sold en that the sale is in the country of the buyer for an ebook? Wouldn't it be simpler to always say that the sale is in the location of the seller? Or is there a law that says that the sale of an ebook is in the location of the buyer? I rather doubt that because that should then be a kind of international law. Or is there some kind of international agreement about this? I really would like to know why this is so.
Ridiculous though it is, it really is the case, it would seem. Amazon employ whole legions of lawyers; if they could sell you a product, do you really think that they wouldn't want to do so if there was any way that they could? Amazon are in the business of selling. The fact that they won't sell to you indicates that there must be some excellent - almost certainly legal - reason preventing them from doing so.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #45
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ridiculous though it is, it really is the case, it would seem. Amazon employ whole legions of lawyers; if they could sell you a product, do you really think that they wouldn't want to do so if there was any way that they could? Amazon are in the business of selling. The fact that they won't sell to you indicates that there must be some excellent - almost certainly legal - reason preventing them from doing so.
I am sorry, I honestly don't mean any offense but this is a garbage comment, it presupposes not only amazon's will to change this, but also their infallibility in going about doing so. This if they could they would is rubbish. DRM for example was an issue in audio files, and one could have said apple if they could they would reomove it way back when so the fact that they were not removing it for a while meant that they never could? They ultimately managed to by re-negotiating deals.

Amazon should get it together and start lawyering up for the benefit of the consumer (as apple did with drm) and throw this garbage rules to us. For the time being I just think it's an issue of them not caring enough to do anything about it since they will already sell the books anyway. Just like they are doing with the ridiculously high prices of buying both an e and p book version, ridiculous...
Closed Thread