Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
kklausser
kklausser began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
2 Questions (about shipping and Calibre)

I have two (possibly dumb) questions.

I ordered my Nook on Saturday afternoon and, after reading about how quickly some people's Nooks shipped, figured it would be shipped Saturday and arrive here today or tomorrow. I got an email saying it was scheduled to ship very early on Sunday morning (like 1am). I assumed that meant it would not ship until Monday morning. Later on Sunday I recieved an email saying it was shipped. When I click on the UPS link it still says "bill information recieved" (and it is now noon on Monday). Does anyone have an idea on whether this is accurate or not?

I was told by a friend about Calibre and already love it. My question (and this might be a dumb one) is, when I receive my Nook, can I use Calibre to update it? I have the details for the books set the way I like on it and when I tried to use the B&N reader app I couldn't edit the details (title, author, etc).

Thanks!
kklausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
There is a time lag between when B&N reports shipped and when UPS actually has it in hand. When B&N says it's shipped, that just means it's been packaged and that a UPS tracking label has been generated. When the label is generated, UPS says 'billing information received', but they don't have possession of the package yet.

If B&N said it shipped on Sunday, and you didn't have it shipped via overnight or any express service, UPS won't pick up the package until sometime on Monday - probably Monday evening, when they'll do a pickup of all orders from the warehouse. UPS should have details and location beginning Monday late evening (if not beforehand) when they take possession of the package.
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
You are lucky to have yours shipped using UPS. Good updates and reliable. Probably the best shipping service out there. BN shipped mine using the company called Argix Direct who authorized USPS to do the final delivery. Slow updates and annoying backtracking routes. I ordered mine Tuesday night and it was shipped Wed. It got to Argix base close to Ann Arbor, MI which is about 3hrs from me on Thursday but then Friday it arrived at the local USPS which is now 3.5 hrs away from me. What??!! Funny thing is my cover was shipped the same day from different warehouse through USPS and it's here already. Now I just need the actual Nook to put a cover on. Urghhh!! If they could just ship directly using USPS or UPS, it'd be here by now.

Last edited by superstitious; 06-28-2010 at 07:17 PM.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
_CL
_CL began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kklausser View Post
I was told by a friend about Calibre and already love it. My question (and this might be a dumb one) is, when I receive my Nook, can I use Calibre to update it? I have the details for the books set the way I like on it and when I tried to use the B&N reader app I couldn't edit the details (title, author, etc).
I am a relatively new nook owner, but after reading forums here and doing lots of my own testing, here is what I decided to do.

For ebooks purchased from B&N, I use the B&N web site to manage them. (My B&N->My eBooks Library) It's the only way I have found to delete B&N ebooks (and samples) from the nook.

For ebooks with Adobe DRM, I use Adobe Digital Editions to download the books to the nook. (When you don't use the B&N methods to download a book, you will see it called "sideloading" on these forums.)

For ebooks without DRM, I use Calibre to sideload them to the nook.

I have found that I don't need to change metadata for B&N or Adobe DRM books. But, I have many times for the non-DRM books. I use Calibre for that.

Hypothetically, if I had to change metadata on a protected book, I would have to use the various tools available to remove the DRM before Calibre would be able to modify the metadata.

File management is another story. If you start the B&N Reader on your Windows PC, and open a book on your PC, the Reader will put a copy of your book in My Documents\My Barnes & Noble eBooks. Unfortunately, when you delete a book at the B&N site, it is not deleted from this directory the next time you start their PC-based Reader. So, I just stopped using it.

The default directory for Adobe Digital Editions is My Documents\My Digital Editions. It is flexible enough to let you add a book from any directory. It will just remember where the book is. It will not make its own copy of it.

I put all my non-DRM books in My Documents\My Library. When I add them to Calibre, it makes a copy of them and puts them in its own directory structure. I changed the Calibre directory to My Documents\My Calibre Library. (Sorry, I can't remember what the original default was.)

I have been spoiled by Adobe Lightroom's capabilities for my digital photos. I am hoping someone develops a similar database-driven DAM tool for ebooks that will let you keep books in their original directory, let you alter metadata without changing the underlying file, and then export the metadata only to the copy on the nook. (DAM == Digital Asset Management)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by _CL; 06-28-2010 at 11:59 PM.
_CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Well said.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
kklausser
kklausser began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thank you so much, that helps a ton. I was having a bit of a hard time finding the most basic info!
kklausser is offline   Reply With Quote