Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-18-2006, 05:54 AM   #1
design256
Connoisseur
design256 doesn't litterdesign256 doesn't litter

Device: Irex Iliad
Open X server port

While experimenting with IDS, I found that if the Iliad experiences a connection error (like it does connecting to my IDS proxy ),
then it pops up a dialog and waits for a click.

While it is in this state, the network is up and running and there is an unprotected X server running on port 6000. You can happily run X clients on it from another local host or grab window information etc.

While this is very cool (see attached screenshots), I haven't found a way to exploit it. You can run apps to be displayed on the Iliad and see how they look. You can kill off windows. But I haven't found any way of making it do anything more interesting. Ideas anybody?

Here's the output from xlsclients -l:

[chris@apple sbin]$ xlsclients -l
Window 0x600001:
Machine: ereader
Name: pageBar
Icon Name: pageBar
Command: pageBar
Instance/Class: pageBar/PageBar
Window 0xa00001:
Name: contentLister
Icon Name: contentLister
Command: contentLister
Instance/Class: contentLister/ContentLister
Window 0xc00001:
Name: connectionMgr
Icon Name: connectionMgr
Command: connectionMgr
Instance/Class: connectionMgr/ConnectionMgr
Window 0xe00001:
Name: downloadMgr
Icon Name: downloadMgr
Command: downloadMgr
Instance/Class: downloadMgr/DownloadMgr
Window 0x400004:
'' Name: Panel 0
Icon Name: Panel 0
Command: /usr/bin/matchbox-panel --size 39 --no-menu --bgcolor White --no-session --default-apps mb-applet-icon-container

... and here's xwininfo for the matchbox panel:

[chris@apple sbin]$ xwininfo -id 0x400004

xwininfo: Window id: 0x400004 "Panel 0"

Absolute upper-left X: 0
Absolute upper-left Y: 935
Relative upper-left X: 0
Relative upper-left Y: 935
Width: 768
Height: 39
Depth: 8
Visual Class: StaticGray
Border width: 0
Class: InputOutput
Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
Bit Gravity State: ForgetGravity
Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
Backing Store State: NotUseful
Save Under State: no
Map State: IsViewable
Override Redirect State: no
Corners: +0+935 -0+935 -0-50 +0-50
-geometry 768x39+0-50

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	konsole.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	1872   Click image for larger version

Name:	konqueror.jpg
Views:	1771
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	1873   Click image for larger version

Name:	xclock.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	1874  
design256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by design256
While it is in this state, the network is up and running and there is an unprotected X server running on port 6000. You can happily run X clients on it from another local host or grab window information etc.
Please, can you do an "xdpyinfo" on the Iliad's display?

I'm specially interested in the XTEST extension, so to use xautomation (that's the package of the xte program) to "emulate" a keyboard using the remote keyboard O:-).

BTW, what OS version are you using (2.6.1 or 2.7)?

--
Ps: Hello again to the forum. I've been missing quite a bit...
Dario
(...still thinking of ways to re-enable the ssh daemon in modern firmwares...)
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2006, 08:34 AM   #3
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica
Photos show icons which are new in 2.7.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:57 AM   #4
design256
Connoisseur

Quote:

I'm specially interested in the XTEST extension, so to use xautomation (that's the package of the xte program) to "emulate" a keyboard using the remote keyboard O:-).

Here you are. Looks like XTEST is there. I'm using 2.7 now, but this access also works with 2.6.1 - just didn't want to mention it close to the 2.7 release in case they patched it
Attached Files
File Type: txt xdpyinfo.txt (7.6 KB, 567 views)
Old 10-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #5
design256
Connoisseur

Quote:

--
Ps: Hello again to the forum. I've been missing quite a bit...
Dario
(...still thinking of ways to re-enable the ssh daemon in modern firmwares...)
xte from xautomation works fine - you can send it mouse moves/clicks and it will perform them for you.
Advert
Old 10-18-2006, 11:31 AM   #6
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here you are. Looks like XTEST is there. I'm using 2.7 now, but this access also works with 2.6.1 - just didn't want to mention it close to the 2.7 release in case they patched it
Great! Thanks.

Ranting...

It's a pity that the included minimo (/usr/bin/browser) seems to have keyboard shortcuts disabled (at least, in the 2.4 scratchbox setup I can't make it to open dialogs, which is consistent with the tests that lhl did in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7297).

We only need to be able to open a text file and save it in /etc/er_registry.txt... that should not be very difficult O:-). Another approach would be to be able to make a symbolic link (what symbolic link is left as an exercise to the reader ;-).

End of rant.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #7
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
xte from xautomation works fine - you can send it mouse moves/clicks and it will perform them for you.
Perfect. Now... anybody knows if it's possible to make a valid pdf file with some custom text at the beginning? O:-).

Yes, I know about the mandatory "begin with '%PDF-1.'" but ajter that there are commands and objects. It's possible to have an object with plain text spreaded in some lines and still have a valid pdf? Any PDF gurus here?
Old 10-18-2006, 12:06 PM   #8
design256
Connoisseur

Quote:
Great! Thanks.

Ranting...

It's a pity that the included minimo (/usr/bin/browser) seems to have keyboard shortcuts disabled (at least, in the 2.4 scratchbox setup I can't make it to open dialogs, which is consistent with the tests that lhl did in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7297).

We only need to be able to open a text file and save it in /etc/er_registry.txt... that should not be very difficult O:-). Another approach would be to be able to make a symbolic link (what symbolic link is left as an exercise to the reader ;-).

End of rant.

x2x also works - allowing complete control with the mouse and keyboard of the remote client. Problem is that the download manager sits on top of all other windows that are running and quitting it closes the net connection. Is there any way to make X bring a hidden window to the top?
Old 10-18-2006, 02:16 PM   #9
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
x2x also works - allowing complete control with the mouse and keyboard of the remote client. Problem is that the download manager sits on top of all other windows that are running and quitting it closes the net connection. Is there any way to make X bring a hidden window to the top?
You could try commanding the download manager window to lower itself.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Perfect. Now... anybody knows if it's possible to make a valid pdf file with some custom text at the beginning? O:-).

Yes, I know about the mandatory "begin with '%PDF-1.'" but ajter that there are commands and objects. It's possible to have an object with plain text spreaded in some lines and still have a valid pdf? Any PDF gurus here?
I can slice, dice and frappe PDF. What exactly are you looking for? (BTW sprinkles cost extra)
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:24 AM   #11
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
I can slice, dice and frappe PDF. What exactly are you looking for? (BTW sprinkles cost extra)
I'm looking for a pdf file that one can execute in bash (by means of a source or include (".") from another bash script), so if there are some invalid lines at the beginning it's not very important (it's a source of the file, not a direct script exec, so it doesn't have to begin with the she-bang).

Then, the pdf file should begin in ascii (the beginning of PDFs is usually ascii, albeit with lines delimited with CRs instead of NLs, so I don't expect problems here), and the "object with the plain-text script" has to be near to the beginning (to be sure that bash don't bail out because of extrange characters).

Is it easily doable?

Thanks scotty1024 :-)

P.S.: I have not tested with pdftk, but I think it doesn't put the embedded files near the the beginning of the generated pdf... or am I mistaken?
Old 10-19-2006, 06:52 AM   #12
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Hmm so I could use my PDA keyboard via wifi into the iLiad, no usb drivers needed. Nice!
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:05 AM   #13
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Can you confirm the version (and build number) of the web browser...? Thanks (I really must around to doing this mysql...)
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:29 AM   #14
design256
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Can you confirm the version (and build number) of the web browser...? Thanks (I really must around to doing this mysql...)
do you mean the minimo version? If so, it's 0.009
Old 10-19-2006, 07:41 AM   #15
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
do you mean the minimo version? If so, it's 0.009
Does it have a build number/date...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote