Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
gfmucci
gfmucci began at the beginning.

Device: dx
How does Kindle handle sidebar laden books?

There are some books that are heavily laden with side bars, "special insights", top 10 this and that, such as Dummies Books, and my beloved Glenn Beck books, Arguing With Idiots and An Inconvenient Book.

How does Kindle handle the text and graphics in such books?
How does the Text to Voice feature work in those kinds of books?
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
There are some books that are heavily laden with side bars, "special insights", top 10 this and that, such as Dummies Books, and my beloved Glenn Beck books, Arguing With Idiots and An Inconvenient Book.

How does Kindle handle the text and graphics in such books?
How does the Text to Voice feature work in those kinds of books?
Here are some screen shots from the sample of An Inconvenient Book. Text to speech was not available for these books. This is from a K2. Might be different from a DX.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-42669.gif
Views:	408
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	50840   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-42668.gif
Views:	385
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	50841   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-42667.gif
Views:	383
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	50842   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-42666.gif
Views:	382
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	50843  
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
gfmucci
gfmucci began at the beginning.

Device: dx
Thank you for the screen shots. Those are helpful.

I notice the % in the lower left hand corner. That usually indicates the percentage of the book up to that point. I'm wondering why the first page of the first chapter reads 40%.

I wonder what type of book and what percent of Kindle books do NOT have the text to voice feature? Is there any pattern?
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I wonder what type of book and what percent of Kindle books do NOT have the text to voice feature? Is there any pattern?
This is an excellent question and I have a corollary: are all non-DRM files readable on the Kindle text-to-speech enabled? In other words, if you jail-break your official purchase, does that "open up" text-to-speech automatically?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Thank you for the screen shots. Those are helpful.

I notice the % in the lower left hand corner. That usually indicates the percentage of the book up to that point. I'm wondering why the first page of the first chapter reads 40%.

It was a sample of the book so it did not have a lot of pages. The first 39% of the book was Introductions, TOC, ect.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert