Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
Qrun
Qrun began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best 1th eReader

Hello,

I'm new on this forum, and I'm searching for good advice for a 1th ereader.

I'm from Belgium and french speaker, which should be taken into consideration in the interest of ePub reader device.

I'm currently hesitating between the Kindle 3 and the Sony PRS 600 :

The Kindle 3 for the large amazon library, the 3G network available in Belgium, the integrated dictionary. Concerning this device I'm wondering if it's possible to convert .pdf document on my personal computer, or if it's necessary to go through the Amazon web conversion application which isn't free of charge?

The Sony PRS600 seems interesting for the touch screen and the possibility to use google books and all the ePub libraries.

I've a last question concerning the conversion of .pdf files initially made in A4 format on the eReader screen. I use a lot of technical documentation in .pdf format and the possibility to access to these documents on the eReader could be great...
Qrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:59 AM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
A4 PDF files are:

1) unreadable in a 6 inch screen
2) hardly convertible or reflowable, unless they're purely text-based.

If you are fit to shell out serious money, you can get a Kindle DX Graphite, which has the new Pearl screen too, and it portrays PDF files more loyally size-wise, albeit the configuration abilities of Kindle's firmware are limited. If it's something you really really value, new big screen models should come in September and October, for example Pocketbook 901 or Asus' devices.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrun View Post
Hello,
The material which works best on a 6" is material which normally would work on a 6" piece of paper, such as pocketbooks and pdf's for a smaller format such as A5 and normal text wich can easily be reflowed (Project reports in my company falls into the latter category)

As a first reader I would suggest Kindle 3 due to the higher contrast and the low price, and it's brand new and judging by early press it might recieve som good reviews adding to the overall hype, which will make you feel even better about getting one.

I realize although I really like my PRS-600 it's almost a niche-product due to a contrast which is worse than the competition (Although fully readable and the features are great, it doesn't make you say: 'Wow what a great screen' ). IMHO it's a great product, despite of this.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
Qrun

The .pdf document are purely text based, it's technical specification, contracts etc... but the ability to view these documents is not a key factor for the choice, it's just a plus.

The main utilisation of the eReader is to reade book during vacation or long fly.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
For what it's worth, Qrun, I've been using my Sony for the past year and love everything about it. Converting books to epub using the free software, Calibre' is simple enough for me to do, loading the finished book into the Sony is easy, and the availability of epub books in every genre is just amazing!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrun View Post
Hello,

I'm new on this forum, and I'm searching for good advice for a 1th ereader.

I'm from Belgium and french speaker, which should be taken into consideration in the interest of ePub reader device.

The Kindle 3 for the large amazon library, the 3G network available in Belgium, the integrated dictionary. Concerning this device I'm wondering if it's possible to convert .pdf document on my personal computer, or if it's necessary to go through the Amazon web conversion application which isn't free of charge?

The Sony PRS600 seems interesting for the touch screen and the possibility to use google books and all the ePub libraries.

I've a last question concerning the conversion of .pdf files initially made in A4 format on the eReader screen. I use a lot of technical documentation in .pdf format and the possibility to access to these documents on the eReader could be great...
I've got both a Sony (PRS-300) and a Kindle (K2). The display of the Kindle is definitely better between the two; however, if I want something smaller to stick in a bag I take the Sony Pocket. I think the Kindle 3 is going to be the best of both worlds -- smaller form factor than the K2 but with the same 6" screen, and what sounds like an awesome display. I haven't ordered one, but my sister has and I'm looking forward to trying it out. If I were buying today, no question, I'd get the K3.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Considering your mentioning you're a French speaker, do you read a lot of books in English or mostly in French? As European publishers mostly use epub format and the Kindle won't read it. If you don't mind stripping DRM and converting epub to mobi, then I've said nothing!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #8
Qrun

I read both, the idea of an ereader with an integrated dictionary is to improve my English, but I'd like to be able to read some french books.

Are the conversion operations from epub to mobi difficult or do they induce high degradations in the quality of documents (page-setting, research in documents, use of dictionary)?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Nope, from epub to mobi is actually one of the easiest ways to go. But you would be required to strip DRM if you bought drm-infested books. I can't say anything about the difficulty of that as I've never bought a drm-infested epub, only drm-infested mobi books... (and removing that is easy, if you have the right tools)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would look for ebook stores that sell books that you are intereted in. This probably means looking outside of Amazon's store. If those bookstores sell non-DRMed Mobi or Non-DRMed Epub books, you will be fine with a Kindle. You will need to convert them to the Kindle format but that is suppose to be easyto do.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote