Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #31
searcher
Connoisseur
searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Im not saying it is perfect but go on suggest something better for displaying images on that
So ipad is the perfect photo frame for 500 bucks.
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #32
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Im talking about a device that is multifunction and is a tablet/slate/pad and ok lets say a screen size large enough to read a non zoomed PDF at standard font size or an unzoomed marvel comic.
OK, that's a much better way to state the challenge.

The obvious answer from recent news is the JooJoo, released a week before the iPad, but I'll agree with you that the iPad beats the JooJoo hands down on the software front. (Though this may change as the software gets updated, and the JooJoo may already be a better device for reading PDFs and comics, given its 12" screen.)

Then there are tablet PCs. All of the ones linked below are far more powerful than the iPad, but more expensive, heavier and have shorter battery life (though note that the Dell and the Fujitsu are close enough at 9 hours):

http://www.tabletpc2.com/Compare.htm

For people with more serious needs the expense and weight may be justified. For those who just need to read pdfs and comics, then the iPad looks like a better bet, yes.

The point is that other devices do exist. The iPad simply has a combination of features that work for you (and doubtless lots of other people).

And if you're willing to bend the criteria to allow for just a few months more, it's extremely likely we will have both the Notion Ink Adam and the WePad. The WePad in particular looks like it could be a better bet for pdfs and comics than the iPad, given the 12" screen, without the flaws that plague the JooJoo.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #33
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And showing how fast these things change... now shipping for same price as the iPad, is the Asus convertible tablet/netbook:

http://www.liliputing.com/2010/04/as...-shipping.html

Graham
Old 04-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #34
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
And showing how fast these things change... now shipping for same price as the iPad, is the Asus convertible tablet/netbook:

http://www.liliputing.com/2010/04/as...-shipping.html

Graham
It'll be heavier and have a shorter battery life. But it'll have a keyboard and a SD slot, plus a full multi-tasking OS. And you can open the box! Swap out for bigger hard drive, ect...

For all I know, you may be able to Hackintosh it....

I wish I could get one of those old fold-up keyboards for the old Palm Pilots and use it with a tablet when I want a keyboard....

Last edited by Greg Anos; 04-06-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #35
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
It'll be heavier and have a shorter battery life. But it'll have a keyboard and a SD slot, plus a full multi-tasking OS. And you can open the box! Swap out for bigger hard drive, ect...
Not to mention 160 Gb storage space, 3 USB ports and a webcam.

What's fun is that this arrangement of screen and keyboard could get lighter with flash storage and the new screen technologies.

It's quite an attractive concept already, as you have the keyboard available when you need it, either to type on or to balance the screen, and the clamshell gives you a ready made case to protect your tablet screen.

Graham
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #36
Graham
Wizard

And here's a link to the Lenovo S10-3t convertible tablet as well; yours for the same price as the iPad, with a 250 Gb HD, Windows 7 starter, a full complement of ports and a webcam:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-0651-37.../dp/B0032ALW5C

Graham
Old 04-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #37
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Not to mention 160 Gb storage space, 3 USB ports and a webcam.

What's fun is that this arrangement of screen and keyboard could get lighter with flash storage and the new screen technologies.

It's quite an attractive concept already, as you have the keyboard available when you need it, either to type on or to balance the screen, and the clamshell gives you a ready made case to protect your tablet screen.

Graham
Now add a Pixel Qi screen to cut the energy usage, or if you can live without a backlight, Liquiavista or Mirasol, and you'd have something better than a iPad. I'm saving my money and waiting...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #38
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
For the Ipad I could ignore the no usb no sd slot and deal with buying a dongle IF it had a web cam. I can't understand it not having a cam for chat. Its such an OBVIOUS use for a a tablet that not having it makes me wonder at their thinking.

Either the chipset they are using can't handle running the video in and the video out at the same time ( or it wouldnt be as smooth and apple like as they'd prefer) OR they had problems with the cameras OR they are hoping people will upgrade when they add it in iPad 2gsxyz. Or maybe there will be a 3rd party dock plus cam plus app.

If it had easy video chat i would be buying 3 right now. One for us and one for each of my parents.

On that front the ICD Gemini tablet that Engadget and others are talking about is looking more like what suits my needs http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/06/i...mplete-tablet/

ICD is making 2 other tablets as well one for Verizon http://www.slashgear.com/verizon-icd...ds-on-0768873/ one for T-Mobile http://www.slashgear.com/t-mobile-ve...ds-on-0768807/
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #39
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
... On that front the ICD Gemini tablet that Engadget and others are talking about is looking more like what suits my needs http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/06/i...mplete-tablet/

ICD is making 2 other tablets as well one for Verizon http://www.slashgear.com/verizon-icd...ds-on-0768873/ one for T-Mobile http://www.slashgear.com/t-mobile-ve...ds-on-0768807/
Agreed, there are some fantastic devices coming along soon, with the ICD Vega one of the really exciting ones, but stustaff wanted a list of machines available to buy now.

EDIT: Just noticed I did the same above by mentioning the Adam and the WePad.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 04-06-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #40
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'm wanting one for reading comics too.

My ideal device would be an Android based tablet with about a 10" screen for reading comics. Especially if they release a DC app.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #41
M.H.
Connoisseur
M.H. doesn't litterM.H. doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
My ideal device would be an Android based tablet
Maybe something like this?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/06/i...mplete-tablet/
M.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #42
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher View Post
So many negatives about what they iPad must be like -- from someone who obviously has not actually used an iPad.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #43
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
The JooJoo review doesn't totally condemn it. Although battery life appears to be a definite hardware issue, the majority of the problems are in software.
I doubt they can get decent video performance out of an Atom CPU without a better GPU than the Joojoo has, and battery life is an issue, as it seems to be for all Atom-based devices.

leebase - Not seeing anything even remotely objectionable in that article.

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 04-06-2010 at 01:48 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #44
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Either the chipset they are using can't handle running the video in and the video out at the same time ( or it wouldnt be as smooth and apple like as they'd prefer)
They removed the camera handling routines from the chipset.

Which is one reason the accessories are so expensive, they need to do their own logic.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #45
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Agreed, there are some fantastic devices coming along soon, with the ICD Vega one of the really exciting ones, but stustaff wanted a list of machines available to buy now.

EDIT: Just noticed I did the same above by mentioning the Adam and the WePad.

Graham
It is harder than you think

I guess Im taking the positive extreme a bit too far as I would like a web cam and HDMI out and USB/SD as they would be useful to me but at the moment to get those in any available device the sacrifices arent worth the pay off.

I dont want a keyboard, I had a Toshiba Portege(i think) convertible and it was a great laptop but not really a tablet, too heavy and got too hot.

I want a device to read on to browse on and to view pics on and play a view puzzle games.

I want a 9"ish screen and I want it light and long battery, at the moment the iPad is the only device available that works.

If I wanted USB and a full OS I would no doubt get a laptop! in fact I have 2 already. the iPad isnt replacing them its replacing my PMP and my ereader and my DS.

A laptop convertible or not isnt a potential choice for me and the other tablets are currently all gimped in some way.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote