Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Accessing the world from Singapore

The wife is going to Singapore in a few months,and is interested in knowing how to communicate with the world.

Mostly, the goal is email, I would imagine, although maybe a GPS function so she can find the ocean could be useful also.

Her current phone is a Sprint Sanyo Katana II, which Sprint says cannot be used overseas.

Her traveling companion - from Singapore - is thinking of taking a netbook or perhaps an iPad (neither of which she has), but then no one knows about overseas connectivity.

In short, we are collectively in a wash of ignorance about the protocols used outside of the United States.

My off-the-cuff thought is to wonder why one would want to buy the cow when all you want is the milk. I assume that there are rental phones available - and Singapore being Singapore, they probably already have G10 service into every crab shack and roadside rest -- or whatever the equivalents may be.

Sooooo.... I am throwing this out for some "wisdom of the crowd" action.

Suggestions for communicating with the web when you are overseas?

Many thanks!

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote