Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #16
warone
warone began at the beginning.

Device: W1060 A81
I've had the W1060/A81 for about a month now and I'm very happy with it. It's fantastic for reading ebooks with Allreader, watching movies with TCPMP, viewing pdf files and viewing pictures/PPT/Word files. You will not find a lot of extra programs that run on the installed WM6 but the programs that come with it are nice and work well. I would recommend it. Of course the price is definitely a consideration. I've also installed the Coldsun UI which is a little sluggish, but the installed operating system without the Coldsun UI is very snappy. Plus, hopefully, the Android OS is coming out soon which we are all looking forward to trying.

Additionally, the installed Internet Explorer is a little clunky to use but it does work okay. Not super fast but not really slow either. The only complaint I really have is the popup keyboard that doesn't fit the screen with rotation.

Last edited by warone; 03-27-2010 at 10:59 PM.
warone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
vkbook
vkbook began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry
Thanks for the input
vkbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #18
bryanzs
Zealot
bryanzs doesn't litterbryanzs doesn't litter

Device: Nook HD+, Nook ST Glow, PocketBook 360, Nook Color
It's Here!

I received my A81 today, but to be honest I've been a little disappointed with some of my results. Can any current A81/W1060 owners tell me what I'm doing wrong?
1. Cannot charge via USB - I've tried with the unit on and off, with a powered hub, and with a direct connect to the PC. In no case does the 'charging' LED come on, nor does the 'settings' screen indicate that I'm getting any power;
2. Cannot connect as USB Mass Storage Device - Although I can use ActiveSynch to connect with my Vista machine (a pleasant surprise!), on both the Vista and an XP system, it fails to connect as a USB Mass Storage device. The A81 is seen by the PC, and it says it's installing, but then I get an error indicating it was unable to complete;
3. No TF (miniSD) card - Although JTShop was supposed to be putting the Android version on the A81 for me, there's no sign of it - nor of the 2GB TF card that appears to be a standard part of the product. I'm hoping it just got "forgotten" somewhere, but I don't know how much luck I'll have getting JTShop to send it to me;
4. PDF reading problems - I've yet to find a PDF reader program that really works well. I've tried AlReader (but that just appears to open PDF documents as 'text'), and the included app (JetCet?) didn't display anything useful. The "sample" FoxIt PDF viewer didn't seem to have enough functionality to read the PDFs properly (or maybe I just didn't know how to make it behave right), either;
5. Bluetooth connectivity - As others have reported, it doesn't seem to be "all there". I can turn it on, and I can have the A81 and my Vista machine see each other (in fact, I can even have the A81 "trust" the Vista machine, so I know they're communicating), but I get another one of those Device Manager error messages when it attempts to install the Bluetooth Peripheral Device software. So they still can't actually "talk" together.

On the plus side, there are many things I do like about the device, including:
1. Unlike many early reviewers, I didn't find the included IE to be too bad (for the limited browsing I've done). My device also appears to include "IE embedded" in addition to regular IE - it's got a different look to it...
2. Connecting via ActiveSynch, and via wireless ethernet, to my existing network worked well, and so I can browse and copy items to and from the A81;
3. Downloading some ebooks direct from Fictionwise (wirelessly using IE), in "mobi" format, allows me to use mobipocket for nicely-displayed output;
4. The various other media players seem to work pretty well (though, if/when I get a "TF" (miniSD) card, I'll probably install some other apps, including VLC (if it's available) for more flexibility in formats)

So, in the first 4 hours of playing with it, it's a mixed bag; I _think_ the A81 will be able to do what I want, but I sure hope I can get answers to the questions above...
bryanzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #19
bryanzs
Zealot

Update: You can only install the USB Mass Storage Drive drivers if you have a microSD (TF) card installed. Once I found one lying around, I was able to attach the A81 as a mass storage device.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #20
vkbook
vkbook began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry
After a lot of thought I decided to buy the ASUS t91mt instead of A81. Am waiting for it to be shipped.
vkbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #21
warone

1. Cannot charge via USB - use the wallplug charger and the car charger.

2. Cannot connect as USB Mass Storage Device - I have successfully connected to a Lexar Firefly USB flash drive. (2GB size) I have also connected through a powered USB hub to many different sizes of portable hard drive simultaneosly.. up to 320GB.

3. No TF (miniSD) card - I ordered mine from Lee Lencho / Wirelession (China mainland and it came with a 2 GB card. I ordered a MicroSDHC 8GB card anyway.

4. PDF reading problems - I haven’t had too many problems with the Wince5.0 version of Foxit reader. Although there does seem to be a few PDFs that it will not read. I guess it will read about 75% of my PDF files.

5. Bluetooth connectivity - Haven’t used the Bluetooth

I’ve installed quite a few of the working software list from this page

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=a81&page=16

I have also found a lot of others that work, although I am disappointed with the very small list of compatible software. Here's a list of working software that I have found. Additionally, I upgraded the firmware English Version 1.8.9_R3 from the Wits page and I do like the keyboard much better that the large popup keyboard that the system came with. I didn’t install the UI from that page.

http://www.witstech.com.cn/index_en.html

Hope this helps. If nothing else it’s good to share information. For many of these programs I had to try many many versions to get one to work. Often the newer versions will not work and the first basic no frills is the one to try. Good luck.

Tildetech word games
Abalone
Alchemy
Archibald
Atomica
Ballbreaker
Battleship
Batty
Bejeweled2
Binary
Blackjack
Bookworm
BurningSand2
ChainReaction
CSBwinCE
DangerZone
DMemBlock
Freecell
Frogger
ICBM
Insaniquarium
JOTKBD
Memory
Nisqually
PatiencesGold
Pipes
Ratsplat
Reversi
Ricochet
RookRevenge
SevenSeas
SkinSudoku
Solitaire
Takeover
TextTwist
Tradewinds
VideoPoker

Docviewer
FoxitreaderVGA
Freda
GSPlayer
Imageviewer
Jetcet PDF
Jzpaint
LyricsPlayere
Media Player
Microsoft Wordpad
MMCE
Mobibook
Nitrogen
Notepad
Office20003 Excel/Word/PDF viewer
Pdfviewer
Planmaker
Textmaker
WMPlayer
ELXviewer
Xnpocket

Beeline GPS
Calculator
CECMD
HandMap
SMemoCE
Treesize
AllReader

Found a bunch more compatible programs at GPS underground forums. The author states that they are all freeware, here's a link (http://www.gpsunderground.com/forums...ight=miopocket) (there's no way I could check them all so download at your own risk but, I'm pretty sure that they are all non-commercial or demo). To access them you should, join the forum, download the Miopocket install file, (MioPocket 3.0 (Release 59) For your GPS Windows 5.0/6.0 Devices) unzip and find the programs folder. It contains the addtional programs that I'll attempt to list below. Enjoy.

Calc98CE
cePIMS
FileManCE2
Games - Chess Genius, Peter's Gamebox, Hexavirus, SmartSimon, Farkle, Tetris, Bubblets, Rubik, Nankin, Pentagon, Shift Left, 5Cross, Mustang, Reversi, Life
GPS2Blue
GQviewer
KeepRecordin
MediaPlayer
Mobipocket
MoneyGoesAway
Mortscript
MS - Squares, PPaint, Rezmeter, ImgVuePT
NoniGPS Plot
nPOP
Office
PHM Tools
PIMTool
PocketRAR
PocketGPS-Map
Power Toys
Quicklaunch
SpreadCE
Total Commander
Transcriber
uBook
Windows Media Player
XnView Pocket
Regedit2
TaskMgr
TreeSizeMobile
Regedit
ListPro
NotesCE
PocketNAV
SirfTech
Notepad
Clock
BananaPC
VolumeCtrl
JOTKBD
CETree
Converter
and quite a few more(tired of typing)

and OziExplorerCE Version 2.32 at the Oziexplorer website.

Arvale by PDAmill v3.3

Last edited by warone; 04-11-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #22
mervsduh
mervsduh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sorry for the delay. Too busy enjoying my A81.

1> No I do not think it charges by USB. I tried but it does not seem to register as charging -- you got a wall charger --- so use that\
2> You need to have a miniSD card inserted before your PC see your A81 as a mass storage device
3> Make sure to check with your reseller --- because from what I understand A81 comes with 2GB miniSD standard
4> I'm quite happy with FoxIt reader though. You gotta learn how to use it. For example to move into the next page all you have to do is expand the page (so you can see gray borders to the side) and slide your left fingers on the left side and it will turn the page for you) --- there are heaps more. The only gripe I have is that it does not have true bookmarking - but I don't really care --- it picks up the bookmarks fine
5> I haven't tried bluetooth. I dunno why I would though. I'll probably use it for a headset? but why? I can just use a better quality plugin headset. Maybe transferring files? but why? you can use a faster USB transfer... nope, not gonna use it.

I've been using it to read comics before going to bed. Awesome.
mervsduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #23
bryanzs
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervsduh View Post
Sorry for the delay. Too busy enjoying my A81.

1> No I do not think it charges by USB. I tried but it does not seem to register as charging -- you got a wall charger --- so use that\
2> You need to have a miniSD card inserted before your PC see your A81 as a mass storage device
3> Make sure to check with your reseller --- because from what I understand A81 comes with 2GB miniSD standard
4> I'm quite happy with FoxIt reader though. You gotta learn how to use it. For example to move into the next page all you have to do is expand the page (so you can see gray borders to the side) and slide your left fingers on the left side and it will turn the page for you) --- there are heaps more. The only gripe I have is that it does not have true bookmarking - but I don't really care --- it picks up the bookmarks fine
5> I haven't tried bluetooth. I dunno why I would though. I'll probably use it for a headset? but why? I can just use a better quality plugin headset. Maybe transferring files? but why? you can use a faster USB transfer... nope, not gonna use it.

I've been using it to read comics before going to bed. Awesome.
Hi, Mervsduh.

1. The reason to charge via USB is that way I can leave the wall plug at home when I travel with the A81 and my laptop; it's just one less thing to have to unplug and remember.

2. Yes, I found that out, thanks.

3. I've already been in touch with them - we'll see if anything comes of it

4. There are a few versions of FoxIt floating around; I've found one that I kind of like (the menus are in Chinese, but I can figure them out enough). It displays (in landscape mode) approximately 1/2 of the PDF page, which is fine. But it's the navigation that's kind of bothersome; I'd like to be able to use my finger to click through to the 2nd half of the page, and then on to the next page. It seems like I have to drag to move to the bottom half of the page, and then use the menu to move to the next page. I'm a sucker for consistency, I guess

5. The only interest I have in bluetooth, myself, is so that if I'm out somewhere that doesn't have a WiFi hotspot, and for some reason I need to connect to the internet, I could "tether" the A81 to my cellphone and piggyback on my cellphone's 3G data connection. Not critical, but certainly convenient if it could be done.

I've been using it so far mostly for Mobi reading, and I really do like it as well. The battery meter hasn't been too accurate, but maybe it's just a matter of "conditioning" the battery a bit. It's certainly nice looking, and I like the display and the size (I can't imagine using the new iPad as a book reader. I mean, the iPad is pretty and all that, but come on - it's huge and heavy!)
Old 04-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #24
bryanzs
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by warone View Post

<snip>
Additionally, I upgraded the firmware English Version 1.8.9_R3 from the Wits page and I do like the keyboard much better that the large popup keyboard that the system came with. I didn’t install the UI from that page.

http://www.witstech.com.cn/index_en.html
I think my unit came with the 1.8.9_R3 already installed - do you know how to tell?

I've tried the new UI ("Silverlight") and I kind of like it. It bothered me that I had to double-click on everything; with Silverlight, all the desktop items are single-click, and I think that's nicer. I wish there was some way to do more customization, though - I don't know how to add additional "tabs", or organize the desktop items like you could in the 'normal' Windows environment....

Can you tell me where, exactly, you got the following software?

Blackjack
Frogger
ICBM
Reversi
FoxitreaderVGA
Freda
Microsoft Wordpad
Beeline GPS

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #25
warone

to find the firmware I click on startmenu/settings/control panel/

BSP Information
Old 04-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #26
warone

can't really say where I got all of these, I've been using Windows CE/PPC/WM for so long now and purchased/collected from so many different sources- over 10 years. I'll tell you the versions that I have successfully operated on my W1060 and you can websearch and find them.

Blackjack Hoyle Games - collection volume II V1.0

Frogger - Pocket Frogger Version 0.0.1 Copyright 2002 Pocketcoder

I.C.B.M. (C) 2000 by Geoff Macdonald

Reversi Not sure, no version or about screen available.

FoxitreaderVGA Foxit Reader; for Pocket PC beta Version 0.98 Build 0808

Freda - Downloaded and working from CE Bits (wm6 version)

Microsoft Wordpad - Came with the software on my W1060

Beeline GPS - V1.90.147

Last edited by warone; 04-10-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #27
mervsduh
mervsduh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Fair enough. To each his own I suppose. I dont always plug my A81. I charge it as soon as I get back home. Then use it for at least 2 hours before going to bed then recharge it again the next day. I always have it with me.

Bluetooth file transfer is quite complex. I do not think A81 will have a software for that yet.

I think it is a mistake that you bought your A81 from JT. I got mine directly from WITS via Kathy and I was able to get in within 4 business days with a bag, memory stick and SilverLight installed as I asked them to with working programs. Good thing I never used third party distributors as I am pretty sure they still have old stock unlike if you get it from WITS via Kathy they give you fresh from the box with the latest firmware installed.

And from then I used how I wanted to use it without further configuration.
mervsduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:49 AM   #28
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by warone View Post
Freda - Was working but now it crashed, more to follow, although I'm completely happy with allreader that came with my system.
Can you send me some more details - ideally, the logfile (\program files\freda\logfile.txt) and I will fix the problem. You can email me at home@jim-chapman.net

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #29
warone

Jim, I re-installed the Freda WM6 version from CE Bits and it works great. Once again... operator error.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #30
bryanzs
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervsduh View Post
Fair enough. To each his own I suppose. I dont always plug my A81. I charge it as soon as I get back home. Then use it for at least 2 hours before going to bed then recharge it again the next day. I always have it with me.

Bluetooth file transfer is quite complex. I do not think A81 will have a software for that yet.

I think it is a mistake that you bought your A81 from JT. I got mine directly from WITS via Kathy and I was able to get in within 4 business days with a bag, memory stick and SilverLight installed as I asked them to with working programs. Good thing I never used third party distributors as I am pretty sure they still have old stock unlike if you get it from WITS via Kathy they give you fresh from the box with the latest firmware installed.

And from then I used how I wanted to use it without further configuration.
To get around the bluetooth issue, I've found some software that lets me turn my cellphone's 3G connection into a mobile "hotspot", so I no longer need to figure out how to "tether" to the A81.

The folks from JTShop have refunded me enough money (via paypal) to buy an SD card locally, so I'm happy with that outcome (and their service)

Tags
a81, battery life, smartq, w1060