Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Unhappy My Experience with the 600 (or "Why I sent it Back")

I was really excited about getting my new PRS-600. I did quite a lot of research, and I ultimately decided that I would take the plunge. Of course, I read all the concerns about the screen, butI really thought I would be able to "look past" it. As you can probably tell, I was wrong. Interestingly, the glare was not the main problem. It was the general fuzziness of the screen that I just couldn't get used to. My previous reader was a Kindle 1, and the difference was very noticeable. I never had the chance to compare them side by side; the fuzziness was very obvious to me without the "benefit" of a direct comparison.

I am disappointed. If you're like me, and you are thinking of buying a 600 despite some reservations, than the only thing I would recommend is that you find a way to try before you buy. This may seem like "no-brainer" advice, but if you're like me then the excitement of getting a new gadget can blind you to the more practical concerns. I would especially suggest being wary if you're considering going to a 600 from a more "traditional" e-ink device. The Kindle 1 only has 4 shades of gray, so it's really the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to rendering ability (as far as I know,) but it was much sharper than the 600.

For those of you who love your 600's, please realize that this is in no way meant to offend you. I just wanted to let others in my situation know about one person's experience.

One final piece of advice - make sure to really know the return policy before you buy. I ended up paying a 15% restocking fee. A very sad end to a disappointing experience.
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:04 AM   #2
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
No offense taken. I would have liked the screen to be like my 505 but I preferred having the extra pdf-functionality like pan and zoom of the 600. I can hear you in terms of "fuzziness" of the screen. I don't like that, but it doesn't bother me either.
And I completely agree to go and check out the reader before you buy. It's really a personal opinion whether you like (or at least can live with) the display or not.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 05:58 AM   #3
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
I do think that just MAYBE your expectations were a little too HIGH !
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wow! Nice Avatar Kevin!

ooh.... the 600.....I like my 900 but yeah I really dislike the fuzziness of the display, wish it was like my 505.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kevin - my expectations were TOTALLY too high. It's something that tends to happen to me, but I figured that might be a common experience for gadget lovers.
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
jupstin
Groupie

Mike - yeah - that PDF functionality was pretty awesome. That is definitely a sacrifice
Old 03-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
**sigh**
Me, too. I have a 300 and bought a 600, it can't be that different, right? My eyesight isn't the greatest and I found I needed much more light to see the screen clearly than I did on my 300. It became annoying quickly. I found myself going back to the 300 for casual reading and decided I'd rather wait for something new. (The Boox is top of my list right now!)
Luckily, I bought it from Sonystyle and it only cost $8 to send it back.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:15 AM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I crank the font up to a slightly larger size when I have to read in dim light. That's been working well for me.

When I use my 505 I love the screen, but I miss some of the features of my 600.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:17 AM   #9
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I guesstimate that we all crank up the font (at least in dim light)
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote