Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
jduvall
Enthusiast
jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
New with a dilemma

I'm trying to decide on an ereader and I cant decide which one would be the best fit for me

Right now I have it (I think) narrowed down to

Kindle
Sony Touch Daily ( PRS600BC)
Libre eBook Reader Pro

Basically I want something that can handle all sorts of ebook formats so I don't have to worry if buy an ebook from some where (or get it from my library) and its not compatible

The Libre can use a whole host of different formats (I think the most of the 3) where as the sony and kindle both have big names backing them.

I'm not worried about the wireless, I am looking into these as I'm getting deployed to the middle east so I'm not holding my breathe on having access to their nifty little built in stores.

Basically I want something the size of an avg paperback the eink is pretty cool (I played with the nook at Barnes and nobles and the sony at walmart) that has freedom to get ebooks from anywhere (Though I suppose you can always convert formats cant you?) I dont care about wireless internet I'd love a back light but I havent seen any offering that. Personally I'm leaning towards the libre its cheapest (followed by kindle followed by sony)

I'm hoping to get some more information so far the biggest con I've seen is the sony has more expensive books through its store. Kindle prices are pretty decent barnes and noble again isnt bad ebooks.com is crazy (I'm sure I missed a lot of sites)

Sorry for 'ranting' just hoping for best bang for buck
jduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
dls81
Enthusiast
dls81 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Where are you heading to over here? I'm in Bahrain. I bought the Libre Pro a few months back and liked it a lot at first, but after time I found the screen was just too small for my needs. It's great for casual reading (novels) and very portable (fits in the cargo pocket my uniform nicely) but I really needed a bigger screen since the majority of my reading has to do with schoolwork. I just bought the edge so now I have seen the difference between the LCD screen and the e-ink. The e-ink on the edge is very crisp and almost eerie in how much it resembles paper... it almost looks fake. From what I have heard, it is very fast compared to some of the other e-ink displays out there; the flash of the screen during page turns is quick and it is a comfortable read. I'm not sure how fast the other readers you are looking at are, so the flash may be an annoyance at first, but you'll probably get used to it. The libre is LCD and is a very nice screen and well put together device. It doesn't have the nice paper-like look, but it is easy to read and portable.

Good luck with your decision!
dls81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 03:13 AM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Since I got my Sony, I haven't really bought too many books from the Sony store. I've found a lot of books on manybooks.net and Smashwords that are free or very inexpensive. I like my Sony because I think the keyboard on the Kindle is hideous. If all you want to read are bestsellers then go with the cheapest store but I think the Sony is an all around better product. (I'm biased, by the way. haha.)
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
jduvall
Enthusiast
jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dls81 View Post
Where are you heading to over here? I'm in Bahrain. I bought the Libre Pro a few months back and liked it a lot at first, but after time I found the screen was just too small for my needs. It's great for casual reading (novels) and very portable (fits in the cargo pocket my uniform nicely) but I really needed a bigger screen since the majority of my reading has to do with schoolwork. I just bought the edge so now I have seen the difference between the LCD screen and the e-ink. The e-ink on the edge is very crisp and almost eerie in how much it resembles paper... it almost looks fake. From what I have heard, it is very fast compared to some of the other e-ink displays out there; the flash of the screen during page turns is quick and it is a comfortable read. I'm not sure how fast the other readers you are looking at are, so the flash may be an annoyance at first, but you'll probably get used to it. The libre is LCD and is a very nice screen and well put together device. It doesn't have the nice paper-like look, but it is easy to read and portable.

Good luck with your decision!
Do you have a link to the edge? Is that what its called? A quick google pulled a dual screened ebook reader...
Old 03-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi jduvall, welcome to MR!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
kindle
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
jduvall
Enthusiast

After doing a lot of reading here I decided to just go with the Aluratek (rebadged jetbook) it is a good deal cheaper (145 vs 259) so if the desert heat kills it I have at least the knowledge that I got my money outta it.

Reading the jetbook forum here it seems that it does everything I want it to do, and if I come across a book I buy that it cant read I can convert it with calibre.

Thanks for the help this site is awesome
Old 03-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Enjoy the device! Yes,
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Good luck with the Libre - I've been enjoying mine.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
jduvall
Enthusiast

So sad! I just got an email saying they are sold out of the libre! And arent sure when the next shipment comes in

They do how ever have the sony prs 300 for 149 (4 dollars more)...

Back to the boards to research
Old 03-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
there is link here on this site where they are still selling the jetbook for $115.
Also look at fictionwise and or booksonboard they have the jetbook for $150.

Also I recommend you look into the aztek pocket pro which was selling for around $200. The device is feature rich and has many of the requirements you listed and more.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:40 AM   #12
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
-Repeated-

Last edited by Logseman; 03-15-2010 at 04:45 AM.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:44 AM   #13
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduvall View Post
So sad! I just got an email saying they are sold out of the libre! And arent sure when the next shipment comes in

They do how ever have the sony prs 300 for 149 (4 dollars more)...

Back to the boards to research
My 2 cents (not deductible for the acquisition ) is that in the same conditions, E-ink (Sony PRS-300) beats LCD (jetBook). 4 dollars more can compensate quite fine, and the PRS300 has a very fine screen, with the only drawback of not allowing any kind of cards in it. 512 MB is what you have, which I feel is quite a size, still.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #14
Spoon Man
Groupie
Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 1
I have a Kindle, and I would honestly recommend the Sony over my Kindle hands down if you don't care about the internet usage.

One of the things that I noticed you wanted is a back light, you can get a light wedge that fits on the Sony, and from what I hear it works pretty well. Also, the Sony seems to be pretty popular worldwide, so if something happens to it getting parts or replacing it shouldn't be too difficult, and they have expandable memory so that you can back up your books in case the reader goes down.

For your situation I would recommend getting something you really like, and then getting a cheaper used small reader as a backup in case your primary does bite the dust. That way you've got something decent to tide you over until you are in a position to acquire a replacement.
Spoon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #15
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
My 2 cents (not deductible for the acquisition ) is that in the same conditions, E-ink (Sony PRS-300) beats LCD (jetBook). 4 dollars more can compensate quite fine, and the PRS300 has a very fine screen, with the only drawback of not allowing any kind of cards in it. 512 MB is what you have, which I feel is quite a size, still.
As jetBook permanent user and person who tested Sony 300 and Pocketbook I think that LCD (jetBook) beats E-ink (Sony PRS-300). NewEgg sell jetBook-Lite for $113 now
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote