Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #16
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They are the best bookshop chain in the UK by a massive margin.
For physical books, I think that Amazon.co.uk is better, and for e-books, Amazon.com is better. OK, these aren't "chains", but it needn't be "cutting off one's nose to spite one's face" to avoid Waterstones - I check then when I'm looking for content and have found precious little that I wanted there TBH.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #17
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Perhaps you're giving them too much leeway, especially if you're asking them to fix something they have no power to fix. Did you try dropping the bit about 'getting a good copy of the book' and firmly ask for a refund? Maybe that would be the customer service or account department? Do they have a formal e-book return policy?
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #18
Beanski
Beanski doesn't litterBeanski doesn't litter

Device: K3, K4, iPad
+1 for WHSmith (for ebooks anyway)

I bought a bundled ebook from them, which should've contained the first 2 parts of a series. I got to the end of the first book ... and of the ebook - no second part. A quick email to WHSmith's got my money refunded immediately. I was then able to buy the second part with change left over
Beanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #19
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanski View Post
+1 for WHSmith (for ebooks anyway)

I bought a bundled ebook from them, which should've contained the first 2 parts of a series. I got to the end of the first book ... and of the ebook - no second part. A quick email to WHSmith's got my money refunded immediately. I was then able to buy the second part with change left over
I had exactly the same experience with the 'first 2 parts of a trilogy' which turned out to be part 1 plus a single chapter of the second! They refunded straight away.

If the e-book version is so rubbish, is it worth e-mailing the publisher too?
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #20
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Perhaps you're giving them too much leeway, especially if you're asking them to fix something they have no power to fix. Did you try dropping the bit about 'getting a good copy of the book' and firmly ask for a refund? Maybe that would be the customer service or account department? Do they have a formal e-book return policy?
Theoretically they could contact the publisher and demand a good version of the ebook. That's actually what they should do, because presumably more people will buy the book and will obviously have the same complaint.
I don't think the problem was that they couldn't decide which of the options to choose. I mean, in a brick and mortar shop it would be the same: "This book is damaged. Do you have a good copy? If yes, I'll take it. If not, I need a refund". Isn't that how it works?

I can't find anything on their website about specifically returning ebooks. I asked them on my first email how returning an ebook works, but as you can imagine there was no useful (or even useless) answer.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 03:51 AM   #21
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Theoretically they could contact the publisher and demand a good version of the ebook. That's actually what they should do, because presumably more people will buy the book and will obviously have the same complaint.
The error you describe is very elementary and a result of sloppy practice on the part of the technicians who converted the book. Unfortunately most publishers outsource their ebooks to 'conversion houses', some of which are of very dubious quality. As is usual in such cases, people will just keep passing the buck until someone is forced to pay for the mistakes.

My advice would be to write to Watchdog, Which, and any other consumer association you can think of. eBooks made the news over Christmas, so one of them might pick up the story and put some pressure on Waterstones, which is the only way to get a real result.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 AM   #22
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
I would agree with other posters - complain to your Credit card company asking for a refund - that is one of the things you pay them for! They are jointly responsible with Waterstones. You have enough evidence.

Maybe that will be yet another reason they should re train their useless customer service dept.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:19 AM   #23
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Why not take the Reader in to a Waterstones store and show them the book in all its deficient glory and ask for help?

I bought half a dozen Ian Rankin books from Fictionwise about 4 years ago and they were full of the most atrocious OCR errors. The result of me reporting this was that the titles simply vanished from the store. They have never re-appeared. Basic formatting and OCR errors are the plague of ebooks, and corrections rarely appear (though the Hobbit was updated after being released last year with a slew of errors)
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #24
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I don't care so much about the refund, as about the quality of service in general, so I really wouldn't want to go through the trouble of getting the credit card company into this.

Anyway, something weird happened today! Yesterday I followed your advice and wrote a review on the waterstones site about the ebook. It clearly stated that the book had errors in encoding that made it unreadable and that waterstones did nothing about it after I complained. I got a message that my review would appear within 72 hours, so I checked back today. The review hasn't appeared, but the book has disappeared completely, exactly as in ChristopherTD's case! So two months of emails could not make anyone react, but one bad review could - in one day. I can only hope that the book will reappear in better condition instead of vanish forever.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #25
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
There's something that I don't understand... When we complain about high e-book prices, publishers respond by saying that producing an e-book costs as much as a dead-tree book, because it's going through the same processes etc. etc. But do they think that it's OK to provide the market with low-quality e-books? Do they really think that it's OK to do a worse job than a book-pirate in scanning a book and selling it the same price as a dead-tree book? Is that why e-books are so expensive... to pay for the not-so-state-of-the-art scanner?
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #26
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
I don't care so much about the refund, as about the quality of service in general, so I really wouldn't want to go through the trouble of getting the credit card company into this.
The cost of the book aside, the point to demanding a refund and disputing a charge with the credit card company is to accomplish the same kind of thing as your bad review did: force the seller and the publisher to do something to fix the book. The volume of sales at a seller like Waterstones is such that if you just say, "Well, I'm taking my business elsewhere," they're not going to notice your departure nor particularly care. If you want the formatting of these ebooks to get better, then bad reviews and forced refunds through the credit card company for a shoddy product will certainly get their attention.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #27
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8Ereader View Post
I had exactly the same experience with the 'first 2 parts of a trilogy' which turned out to be part 1 plus a single chapter of the second! They refunded straight away.

If the e-book version is so rubbish, is it worth e-mailing the publisher too?
Was it Robin Hobbs' Assassin's Apprenntice & Royal Assassin by any chance? I've had the same issue with that from the Hertfordshire elibrary.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #28
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs505, Kindle 3, iPhone4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just to clarify, I was referring to "physical" shops. Waterstones have a superb branch in Manchester, where I work; Smiths these days is awful for books (at least my local branches are).

I can't compare their eBook stores, since I've never used either (other than to get my free copy of "The Lost Symbol" which was given away with my Sony PRS-600, bought at Waterstones).

That my local Waterstones!
I had to complain WHSmiths about their customer services. Funny, but I got nowhere until I passed the phone to my DH. That really annoyed me.
Panda Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #29
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
Quote:
That my local Waterstones!
It's not quite my local waterstones. But it is the one I'm mostly to shop in. A very big branch with a wide range of stock - rather than endless copies of the same book which can make some big stores actually dull.

I had a different problem with Waterstones - only resolved by contacting the author and the publisher. It still took over 3 months, but was resolved to my satisfaction. The author was particularly annoyed, and I'd recommend contacting them if you can whenever you have a problem with their books.

Waterstones email customer service does seem to have a poor reputation.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #30
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sony_fox View Post

Waterstones email customer service does seem to have a poor reputation.
Not just the email! which they never answer in under 5 days, the telephone service is just as bad/worse.

Come on Waterstones wake up! we know you read this forum!
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote