Notices

Old 09-27-2006, 11:02 PM   #31
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava
Just found 128mb Lexar Memory Stick (circa 2002), finally I can use it Probably cost me half of the eReader price back then
I found an old 128mb SD card as well. Unless you plan to listen to music (I'll stick to my ipod for that), I don't think a big sd card is really needed. With the 128mb card added in I'll be able to hold around 240 books. I've been reading all my fiction on my various PDAs for years and I don't think I've ever had more than 30-40 books on at a time. Frogsmasha found some great prices and I am very tempted but I think I'll save the money and buy a book or two at the connect store instead
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:13 PM   #32
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
>Frogsmasha found some great prices and I am very tempted ...

Yep, you can get 1Gb SD card for $17-$20 and 512mb for like $10 nowdays

Last edited by Slava; 09-27-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2006, 11:27 PM   #33
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I'm using a 256mb transflash card in its SD adaptor with my iLiad and that seems to provide plenty of room (it was lying around unused when the need arose.)

The Sony Reader has a USB 1.1 port so you will find a USB 2.0 card reader a very handy thing. (Add that to the Border's bundle?)

And of course if you need to have the entire Gutenberg Library in your Reader so you can run around telling people "I've got the whole freakin' Gutenberg Public Domain ebook collection right here in my hand!" then you'll want the Sony 4GB MS Pro Duo with supplied memory stick pro adaptor, and I recommend the General Electric USB 2.0 Memory Stick Reader to go with it.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:25 AM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G
...I don't think a big sd card is really needed.
As I recall, there may actually be an advantage to the smaller cards, if you plan to take them in and out a lot -- the Reader stops and indexes the whole card when you put it in, how long that takes is partly a function of the card size, and partly the number of files on the card.

P.S. Nice Avatar, Slava!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:31 AM   #35
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Thank you, Nathan

Blue light is fake of cause

Do you know if I can turn off "Profile" part? Both avatar and profile are taking too much space, vertically speaking Of cause I can always make my avatar smaller.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2006, 07:44 PM   #36
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Has anyone used a larger sized card for the Reader yet? I know it can take up to 4GB, but it's not guaranteed to work. I'd like to go for a big card (I dream about carrying every book I'd ever want to read around with me, anywhere I go...), but I don't want to invest in a 2-4GB card without some assurance that it's likely to work...
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #37
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well, take the Reader with you to the shop and check?
And don't forget to post results
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:15 PM   #38
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
Well, take the Reader with you to the shop and check?
And don't forget to post results
Well, I was hoping to buy online ;-) And I'm not sure how many B&M stores let you handle memory sticks without buying them... Maybe I'll try Fry's or someplace similar, though. I'll certainly keep the board posted!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #39
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've discovered that 4gb SD cards vary in compatibility with smartphones, so brands may matter. But I did try a 4gb SD card in the Reader and it worked. What I don't know is if it will show all 4gb, or just 2gb (e.g. if it doesn't support FAT32, it won't be able to address more than 2gb).
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:55 PM   #40
bingle
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
I've discovered that 4gb SD cards vary in compatibility with smartphones, so brands may matter. But I did try a 4gb SD card in the Reader and it worked. What I don't know is if it will show all 4gb, or just 2gb (e.g. if it doesn't support FAT32, it won't be able to address more than 2gb).
Yeah, the manual is a bit sketchy on this regard. It says: "An operation check is performed when using a "Memory Stick" of up to 4 GB. However, operation of all "Memory Stick" is not guaranteed."

And the same with SD card, except "2 GB" instead of 4.

To me, that seems to imply that perhaps 4GB Memory Sticks and 2GB SD *might* work, but aren't supported. I would be very surprised if 4GB SD cards worked.

What brand SD card did you use, Bob?

Edit: BTW, before anyone goes and buys cards - the Reader comes with quite a bit of built-in memory. The Connect software says 91.9 MB total!

Last edited by bingle; 10-03-2006 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:32 AM   #41
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it was a 4gig Transcend SD.
You're right about not needing cards, though unless you want to carry music or need a huge (and I mean really huge!) library at your device away from your desktop PC.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:36 AM   #42
Jake
Renaissance Man
Jake began at the beginning.

The internal memory is definitely enough for all of the books on my current "to read" list. But using the SD slot could be great for "big book" reference tomes: dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc. I can definitely think of possibilities here, even given the limited (or non-existant) search capabilities of the current model.
Now if I could just get my hacky hands on one of these beasties....
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #43
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
But using the SD slot could be great for "big book" reference tomes: dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc.
I'm slowly putting together a book by book collection of the Bible. I figure it's the only way I'll be able to find anything in there on the Reader, since its browsing is a ... bit limited. I want to put it on an SD, so that I don't have to sort through all 66 books when I'm wanting to read other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Now if I could just get my hacky hands on one of these beasties....
Yes, please do!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #44
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

One thing to keep in mind is that some SD cards labeled SanDisk, for example, might be fakes as sold on eBay....story at PDA247.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #45
Teachdaire
Teachdaire began at the beginning.

I can verify that the Kingston 2gig SD works partially.
Update: Well at least it works partially. I just noticed that I have only 1gig available so it looks like the Sony Reader will only support up to 1gig. I reformated the SD back to 2gig and the Sony Reader won't accept it unless I bring it back to 1gig at least with the Kingston brand SD.

Last edited by Teachdaire; 10-04-2006 at 12:17 AM.
Teachdaire is offline   Reply With Quote