Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #46
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulli View Post
Try the themes, which extend the Booklist exactly as you like (e.g. minifred)
I thought the Themes were only for the 301...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #47
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
You can use em at the PB360°.

The tricky thing is that you will have a musicplayer shortcut at the menu, which doesnt work.
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #48
Alilas
Text Transformer
Alilas began at the beginning.

Device: ivory PB360 and Nook Wifi
Quote:
and how to install those apps anyway...
Alilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:31 AM   #49
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alilas View Post
and how to install those apps anyway...
Make a special cable, using convertor from RS-232 to TTL level
Disassemble the device
find an unmarked attachment points on the main PCB
solder wires to the attachment points using very thin wires and special soldering iron. A lead free solder is a must here!
install following software on your PC
- cygwin
- complete Embeded Debian sources
- croscompiller for ARM processor
- Perl programming language
- Python programming language
Make yourself familiar with the above languages, plus of course shell language, makefile language and, of course, the C language, so you can edit the scripts setting options for programs you are about to
- patch
- configure
- compile
- run through linker
- manually copy to the device using hacked terminal connection.

Oh! Wait!
We are not talking about Kindle or Sony Reader here, are we?

Forget all of the above mentioned stuff.
Here are the real steps:
- Connect the device to PC using the supplied USB cable
- download an application from http://pocketbook-free.sourceforge.net/en/index.shtml
- unzip an application
- copy *.app file into /system/bin directory you see when you connect the reader into your PC
- disconnect your PocketBook from PC properly
- go to Main menu, select option Games. Here is your application.

You can also install improved FBReader made by SciFiFan ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65865 )
Simply copy it to /system/bin directory and PocketBook will automagically use the new version (because the /mnt/ext2/system/bin (or whatever) directory is located before /bin or /usr/bin directory in the $PATH system variable on PocketBook )

Last edited by kacir; 01-15-2010 at 02:33 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #50
Alilas
Text Transformer
Alilas began at the beginning.

Device: ivory PB360 and Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Oh! Wait!
We are not talking about Kindle or Sony Reader here, are we?

Forget all of the above mentioned stuff.
nice trap...

and thanks!
Alilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #51
mash440
mash440 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
I registered just to post my thoughts on current ebook design trends.

Asymmetrical design.
Grippable ridges on back (like the back of a samsung Genio)
A switchable on/off power switch rather than the push to style that is popular. Bit like the hold button on an iPod.
Make it so I'm not tempted to rip the serial number off! Damn you Sony!
Non visible rubber corners.

The main thing I would love if is the entire book was curved concave with the screen slightly recessed and if there was no way to tell where the edge of the screen was. Without a visable edge the screen would appear bigger. I mean kind of like on some older mp3 players/phones (example)
mash440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #52
language gamer
language gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Touch, Pocketbook 360, ebookwise 1150 (retired)
Quote:
You can use em at the PB360°.

The tricky thing is that you will have a musicplayer shortcut at the menu, which doesnt work.
Thanks. Can you run me through how to do this?
language gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #53
sadowski
Connoisseur
sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, Kobo mini, PB mini
I probably echo what was said before, this is my vote for the 360:

- easier switching between books:
- list of last opened books on other buttons
- cache pagination--that will also increase battery life

- cover extending over buttons, card slot, USB jack etc.

- cut some width--I can have smaller buttons and no wings
-- that will make it even easier slipping into a pocket

- do NOT add audio, connectivity, etc., remove even card slot
sadowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:04 AM   #54
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I have been pondering the stiff button thing, I don't care about looks of the device as long as I only see the book, for example I don't mind the Kindle keyboard at all and unless someone has used one you don't realize it kinda just disappears...

Anyway, the look of the buttons is fine to me...after using my K1 for the past week or so, I realize why having stiffer buttons makes sense, they do a better job preventing accidental clicks/presses...that might have been the worse part of the K1, well, after the awful location of the buttons, but the K1 buttons are not only an easy click, in the wrong place but also they push to the outside right where the momentum of the device will make it move when holding it, if you can even find a place to pick the bugger up...

Soooo, I am not as opposed to stiffer buttons, still want quiet buttons which use a membrane to muffle the sound. That was a trick in the old days with early keyboards, especially from Northgate (still made the best keyboard ever...)
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #55
mash440
mash440 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadowski View Post
- list of last opened books on other buttons
- cover extending over buttons, card slot, USB jack etc.
Love both of these suggestions. Seriously last book read in order is far better than organizing them when I bought them. I've got about 3 books going at once, (well 2 I struggle with reading) and that feature would be awesome!

And the cover over the USB, similar to what Samsung do on all their phones. And if you have a jack, please make it a standard Mini-USB as opposed to a proprietary one.
mash440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #56
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The new SiPix screens are plastic based and water-resistant by design. Check our wiki.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #57
language gamer
language gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Touch, Pocketbook 360, ebookwise 1150 (retired)
A setting for 2-column landscape PDFs would be nice.

Almost all of my PDF files are scans from books in this format. Although it's possible to tweak the settings to read these files, it's not as intuitive as I would like. A setting that rotated the entire PDF (independently of rotating the screen would be awesome).

Since the text on these PDFs is perpendicular to the page, the note-taking feature is always off.
language gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #58
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The new SiPix screens are plastic based and water-resistant by design. Check our wiki.
Thanks for that info!! I am really hoping we see some devices which are better protected from the environments in which we tend to read. I bet as many devices have died from coffee or beverage spills as from cracked screens. To me that sort of design should be a given really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash440 View Post
Love both of these suggestions. Seriously last book read in order is far better than organizing them when I bought them. I've got about 3 books going at once, (well 2 I struggle with reading) and that feature would be awesome!

And the cover over the USB, similar to what Samsung do on all their phones. And if you have a jack, please make it a standard Mini-USB as opposed to a proprietary one.
I like both but I gotta give Amazon credit on that small ability to sort on last accessed order on the Kindles. Not much I really like about the UI on the Kindle but that is one feature I find I miss when looking at a device which does not offer it as a sort option.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:26 AM   #59
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega
norciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pocketbook 360

I wander if you could fit the electronics...
norciom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #60
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Guys, PB does have two last opened books above the main menu... is it what you mean by "last books by order"?
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
improvements, pocketbook ideas