Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: January 2010 MobileRead Book Club Vote
The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster 32 24.43%
Anathem by Neal Stephenson 28 21.37%
Under the Dome by Stephen King 29 22.14%
Inherit the Stars by James P. Hogan 20 15.27%
A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge 15 11.45%
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow 7 5.34%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2010, 06:46 AM   #106
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Looks like we have a winner. Whew!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #107
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Looks like we have a winner. Whew!
A wiener?!

Looks like we have a wiener, indeed!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #108
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
A wiener?!

Looks like we have a wiener, indeed!

Don

Well so much these days is bologna anyway.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #109
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Well so much these days is bologna anyway.
Why are we Myered in such nonsense?

So... all go forth and read!!!

Yes, I do want to read the King book eventually... but I'll wait till the price drops a bit.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #110
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Why are we Myered in such nonsense?

So... all go forth and read!!!

Yes, I do want to read the King book eventually... but I'll wait till the price drops a bit.

BOb
I've already started "the machine" well ... I read the first few pages. Seems quite short unless I didn't get the whole thing. ??
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #111
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I've already started "the machine" well ... I read the first few pages. Seems quite short unless I didn't get the whole thing. ??
Yes, I think it is a Novella... Perhaps since it is so short I will start the discussion thread a bit early.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #112
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, I think it is a Novella... Perhaps since it is so short I will start the discussion thread a bit early.

BOb
A very short novella or a long novelette. (Sources quote different lengths - depending upon source(s).)

(I'm 1/2 finished, but I've only been reading for 3 minutes.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #113
kennyc

Okay, done with that one. What's next?
Old 01-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #114
Americanchild
Enthusiast
Americanchild doesn't litterAmericanchild doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
All done, very thought provoking. What's next?
Americanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #115
kennyc

Maybe we should all move on to the runner-up as well.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #116
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I got my copy from Feedbooks and will load it onto my 505 on Sunday or Monday and read it next week.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #117
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
It's a short story - not even a novella. I've been looking for some book club questions for an eventual discussion thread, but couldn't find any. I guess it's not that well known.

However, in my paper copy of "Collected Short Stories" by E. M. Forster (Penquin) I found one reference in the introduction (written by Forster) to the story: "The Machine Stops is a reaction to one of the earlier heavens of H. G. Wells." This is what Forster thought about it. I could add that he dedicates the whole short story collection to Hermes Psychopompus. Very 'Forster' I'd say.

Something to chew on for the discussion for those of you who've already read it. I'm waiting until tomorrow myself for reading Personally, I wouldn't mind if we pushed discussion a bit.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #118
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
It's a short story - not even a novella. I've been looking for some book club questions for an eventual discussion thread, but couldn't find any. I guess it's not that well known.
Some here, but it has embedded spoilers:

http://wiki.english.ucsb.edu/index.p...tions#See_Also
and
http://www.pkwy.k12.mo.us/west/teach...ng/machine.pdf
Old 01-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #119
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
so how does this work? where will the thread be posted?
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:29 AM   #120
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post

However,
in my paper copy of "Collected Short Stories" by E. M. Forster (Penquin) I found one reference in the introduction (written by Forster) to the story: "The Machine Stops is a reaction to one of the earlier heavens of H. G. Wells." This is what Forster thought about it. I could add that he dedicates the whole short story collection to Hermes Psychopompus. Very 'Forster' I'd say.

Something to chew on for the discussion for those of you who've already read it. I'm waiting until tomorrow myself for reading Personally, I wouldn't mind if we pushed discussion a bit.
I'd like to see that information discussed in the The Machine Stops thread. I'd like to know exactly what he meant by the "heavens of H.G. Wells." (I assume he was referring to Well's love of technology.) I'd also like to know why did he dedicated his story collection to Hermes. I can understand why he didn't choose Prometheus, but why Hermes?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote