Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: January 2010 MobileRead Book Club Vote
The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster 32 24.43%
Anathem by Neal Stephenson 28 21.37%
Under the Dome by Stephen King 29 22.14%
Inherit the Stars by James P. Hogan 20 15.27%
A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge 15 11.45%
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow 7 5.34%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #91
seveng
seveng began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Palm Pre
What about some form of multi-vote or instant run off? I can think of three books up there I'd love to read, but one of them is in a tie with an author/genre I have no interest in (King).
seveng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #92
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by seveng View Post
What about some form of multi-vote or instant run off? I can think of three books up there I'd love to read, but one of them is in a tie with an author/genre I have no interest in (King).
That idea sort of came up last month and was kaboshed..
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom be removed so nobody else votes for it? I see we have yet another wasted vote on an item that never should have been there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #94
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom be removed so nobody else votes for it? I see we have yet another wasted vote on an item that never should have been there.
Frankly, you seem to be the only one that has a problem with it. No one else is complaining.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Frankly, you seem to be the only one that has a problem with it. No one else is complaining.

BOb
That one vote could have been the vote that breaks the tie.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #96
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

BOb

Let it go Jon, it's just not that big a deal.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #97
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Only 6 votes for Down in any case.
Not cool, I am one of the people who voted for Down and out, and now my ONLY vote goes to waste. Someone said "it's only an informal book club." True, but this poll is so tight that now for me it's a matter of life and King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
That would be great - especially if they could then vote for "The machine stops" by E M. Forster.
That's me!

Ok, the truth is that I have a two-month old baby at home, so I might end up being one of those who vote but don't read.

So don't stress...

Last edited by Francesco; 01-08-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #98
kennyc

Oh and I see we got one more vote for Cory.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #99
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I have voted in the past but my choice has never won and if the winning book is not one which interests me, I don't read
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #100
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I have voted in the past but my choice has never won and if the winning book is not one which interests me, I don't read
Yep, that's pretty much what I did last month. I did give it a shot though and just wasn't to my taste after reading the first chapter...
Old 01-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #101
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
To each his own.

BOb
Old 01-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #102
Americanchild
Enthusiast
Americanchild doesn't litterAmericanchild doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
OK, I want to recast my vote for The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster . I'm one the few who voted for Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom. Actually, I've read it before at is was kinda interesting.
Americanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #103
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanchild View Post
OK, I want to recast my vote for The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster . I'm one the few who voted for Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom. Actually, I've read it before at is was kinda interesting.
Only about 4 hours left and it looks like The Machine Stops is going to take it.

BOb
Old 01-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #104
kennyc

Quote:
Only about 4 hours left and it looks like The Machine Stops is going to take it.

BOb

See here for downloads:

http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/machine-st...+E.+M.+Forster
Old 01-09-2010, 04:48 AM   #105
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thanks!
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote