Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
esowden
not your typical dude...
esowden began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Loving my eBook reader

It all started about three years ago when Amazon introduced the Kindle. I had never heard of an eBook reader until then. I was intrigued to say the least but hesitant to buy because of the lack of availability and lack of knowledge on my part.

Life stepped in (multi-state move) and I had to put my plan to buy an eBook reader on hold. Kindle 2 was introduced and once again my interest was sparked. I convinced myself that I needed to own one of these neat gadgets because of my joy of reading. My iPod was an excellent example of technology meeting my desires and I reasoned a Kindle would provide a similar experience. I still could not get over my uncertainty. I didn't know anyone who owned a Kindle so there was no way I could check one out for myself.

A few months ago, while shopping for a new laptop, I saw my first Sony eReader. It was a PRS-300. I liked it. It was compact, easy to read, intuitive. Had it not been for the $1000.00 I was getting ready to spend - I would have bought one.

I started researching eBook readers and learned the Sony products did not have wireless capabilities. Thinking it was a must have - I put my decision on hold once again.

A couple of months ago - it was introduced. The Kindle killer, the nook, was soon to be released. The more I read about it - the more convinced I was that the eBook reader I had been waiting for had arrived. It looked better that the Kindle, it worked with a wider array of file types, it had Wi-Fi, it was everything I thought I would want in an eBook reader. So I ordered one. B&N put me off not once, but twice before they finally shipped it. (It was only a month late!) In the mean time I thought I'd give the PRS-600 a try. If I didn't like it - I could always return it and fully expected that I would. I was tired of waiting. At this point my journey was fast approaching its third year.

Like my iPod experience - start-up was trouble free. Part of the way through my first book - I started looking for and buying other books. Then my nook arrived. I had been keeping tabs on the other "nookies" at the B&N board. There were a lot of complaints about B&N's Customer Service, quality issues, software issues, the list goes on. Not that unusual being a new product (and probably rushed to market). I debated opening my new toy and risking the 10% restock fee if not satisfied. I realized Wi-Fi and 3G Wireless weren't as important as I thought they would be and other than that couldn't think of a single advantage the nook or Kindle might have over the Sony. So I kept the PRS-600 and sold the nook on eBay.

At this point - no regrets. B&N will probably work their issues out in the future making the nook a fine product. Amazon certainly has an excellent product. So does Sony. Granted - it's my first reader, perhaps my lack of experience may be preventing me from appreciating the features Kindle and nook have.

Then, again...

...ignorance is bliss.

Last edited by esowden; 12-31-2009 at 12:26 PM.
esowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Good story. Enjoy your new Reader.
grooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, esowden.

News flash.......it doesn't matter which e-book reader you have, regardless of all the hype.

If the one you have makes you happy, you have the right one for you.

Choices out there are mind boggling. I don't envy anyone having to choose right now.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Good read, and glad you are enjoying your reader

I agree with desertgrandma, any ereader is good ereader. If I had need for what the Kindle or Nook offer, I would not hesitate to purchase them. Just like most things, there are choices.... and that's a good thing.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Glad you're so happy Esowden. I certainly wouldn't trade my Sony. It's been something of a life-changer to this aged bookworm and I count it among my best friends. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I feel the same way. I love love love my Sony, wouldn't trade them in for anything. Glad ur happy with ur choice, and if u need the wireless capabilities there's always the 900...
Welcome to the forums!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well if you look at the forums here. Not everyone has been pleased with their Sony reader or Sony's support and software. I'm glad you are enjoying yours and came on to share your experience.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Glad to hear you love your PRS-600 so much. I just adore mine and would not exchange it for any other reader on the market as well. It has everything I ever wanted in a book reader.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Well if you look at the forums here. Not everyone has been pleased with their Sony reader or Sony's support and software.
True, but really irrelevant. I go to all kinds of forums, and every product has lemons, and every company has customer support issues. It is also true that people that are having issues are more likely to go on a forum to get help. Receiving help is one of the primary functions of a forum. Those that have no problems, tend not to worry so much about going on a forum.... So of course there are some threads complaining, that is expected. Same is true of every other product.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
True, but really irrelevant. I go to all kinds of forums, and every product has lemons, and every company has customer support issues. It is also true that people that are having issues are more likely to go on a forum to get help. Receiving help is one of the primary functions of a forum. Those that have no problems, tend not to worry so much about going on a forum.... So of course there are some threads complaining, that is expected. Same is true of every other product.
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just pointing out that the negative comments about B&N also applies to Sony if you look through these forums ... customer support, software, hardware issues.

I also think it's great that someone comes on to praise the product since most people tend to only visit forums only when they are in need of support. It's a nice change of pace to see someone enjoying what they bought.

Last edited by MerLock; 12-31-2009 at 04:48 PM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Agreed! It's nice to hear praise from someone who is pleased with their Sony reader (as much as I am)! I'm glad you're enjoying it!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote