Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 05:33 AM   #1
Ebiumn
Connoisseur
Ebiumn doesn't litterEbiumn doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kindle Voyage
360 Finally arrives but problems!!!

I ordered 2*PB360 from the US on 16th November and they arrived today after 2 weeks and a delay in customs that cost another £11.55 Import Duty, £48.55 VAT and £8.00 Parcelforce Clearance Fee, Total of £68.10 ($113.00). That aside I brought the units home to finally check them out. one is for me and the other is a present for the other half.

One unit worked fine after only first looks I pressed the power button and the green light came on then the screen showed its startup menu, but the other just has a green light which shows it is turned on, but that is it, no display. I checked the supplied info and the web site for problems, but the issue wasn't covered, it sort of suggested that the battery wasn't charged so I then charged both units on seperate PC's via the usb leads. One is working fine but the faulty one still only shows a green light when not attached to the usb lead and a red light when attached, but nothing on the screen and it is impossible to turn off the unit so the green light disappears.

I then found futher info that suggested that the reset button is under the battery cover and decided to try this. There needs to be info in the manual on how to access this as it is not very easy until you work it out and I can see someone damaging the case. I pressed the reset and still no joy, when you press the button the green light goes out and when you release it the light comes back on, but nothing else happens.

As the manual suggests that the battery is a user replaceable part I decided to switch the batteries on both units. This proved that there isn't a battery problem as both batteries work with one unit and neither works with the other.

I believe that I have a faulty unit unless someone can throw some light on something I am doing wrong. Help would be appreciated as a futher delay in customs is going to be very infuriating and possibly costly.
Ebiumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebiumn View Post
I ordered 2*PB360 from the US on 16th November and they arrived today after 2 weeks and a delay in customs that cost another £11.55 Import Duty, £48.55 VAT and £8.00 Parcelforce Clearance Fee, Total of £68.10 ($113.00). That aside I brought the units home to finally check them out. one is for me and the other is a present for the other half.

One unit worked fine after only first looks I pressed the power button and the green light came on then the screen showed its startup menu, but the other just has a green light which shows it is turned on, but that is it, no display. I checked the supplied info and the web site for problems, but the issue wasn't covered, it sort of suggested that the battery wasn't charged so I then charged both units on seperate PC's via the usb leads. One is working fine but the faulty one still only shows a green light when not attached to the usb lead and a red light when attached, but nothing on the screen and it is impossible to turn off the unit so the green light disappears.

I then found futher info that suggested that the reset button is under the battery cover and decided to try this. There needs to be info in the manual on how to access this as it is not very easy until you work it out and I can see someone damaging the case. I pressed the reset and still no joy, when you press the button the green light goes out and when you release it the light comes back on, but nothing else happens.

As the manual suggests that the battery is a user replaceable part I decided to switch the batteries on both units. This proved that there isn't a battery problem as both batteries work with one unit and neither works with the other.

I believe that I have a faulty unit unless someone can throw some light on something I am doing wrong. Help would be appreciated as a futher delay in customs is going to be very infuriating and possibly costly.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=63370&page=3
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 06:16 AM   #3
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
  • Oh my!
    I had an early morning shock today! I tried to start MM and nothing happened! Nada! Absolutely nothing! Zilch! I already thought MM had died on me! Granted, I OD'ed on reading these last days, but the little one had appeared so sturdy. PMed Forkosigan to ask him about that in my distress! He was back with an answer in about 10 seconds time (come on Fork, get a life!) with an answer. Turns out that the battery meter is not working as it should on the beta version, but that the FB guys know about the issue and that it will be taken care before the final release.

The only thing I had to do was reset (slide open the battery case, push the reset button) and reload MM. She's still loading now! You can continue reading while she's loading, btw. Even when connected to the PC, you're asked if you want to communicate with your computer or just use the connection to reload. Nice! I'll check if the battery issue has been looked after in the final version, of course!
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=63370&page=3
Old 11-30-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
Ebiumn
Connoisseur
Ebiumn doesn't litterEbiumn doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kindle Voyage
I tried the reset button again while the unit was connected to usb and now it has come to life ( I did try the reset before, but not while connected to usb?)

I have noticed that during my attempt to remove the cover first time I have scratched the cases battery cover, this is really annoying as there was reference to removing it in the manual, but no info on how it comes off. Manual needs updating ASAP.

the unit comes installed with firmware 301.14.1, is the latest version 301.14.2 and is it better?

thx
Ebiumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
I tried the reset button again while the unit was connected to usb and now it has come to life ( I did try the reset before, but not while connected to usb?)

I have noticed that during my attempt to remove the cover first time I have scratched the cases battery cover, this is really annoying as there was reference to removing it in the manual, but no info on how it comes off. Manual needs updating ASAP.

the unit comes installed with firmware 301.14.1, is the latest version 301.14.2 and is it better?

thx
I ran out of battery today. For the reset to work you have to be connected to a power source. That's why it didn't work the first time around. As for opening the battery lid, I'm with you all the way. This should be described in detail on your site(s), dear Pocketbook sellers!

And yes, 101.14.2 is the newest version, but I guess a new one will be out quite soon! Maybe better wait out 2 or 3 days?

Last edited by mtravellerh; 11-30-2009 at 10:25 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
There is a test firmware version (fw360_en_231109) that was just posted last night at pocketbookreader.com in the download section.

Again, it is only a TEST version but I found it fixed a problem I had with my books all having teeny tiny fonts after I installed the previous firmware (fw360_en_191109). If you do try out the latest firmware, BE SURE to read the PDF file included with the software.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
There is a test firmware version (fw360_en_231109) that was just posted last night at pocketbookreader.com in the download section.

Again, it is only a TEST version but I found it fixed a problem I had with my books all having teeny tiny fonts after I installed the previous firmware (fw360_en_191109). If you do try out the latest firmware, BE SURE to read the PDF file included with the software.
That's 101.14.2 and it's been online since 11.23
Old 11-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
As for opening the battery lid, I'm with you all the way. This should be described in detail on your site(s), dear Pocketbook sellers!
This was one of very few things I criticized in my original review ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
Forkosigan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Be corrected!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I must admit, opening back lid is a problem, if you don't know how... Will be corrected asap. How can draw?
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
That's 101.14.2 and it's been online since 11.23
Yes, you can tell from the file name that it was released on 11.23 but it was just posted on the pockebookreader Website last night. It was 11.19 before the link was updated last night - unless it is the same firmware and just the file name was changed.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Yes, you can tell from the file name that it was released on 11.23 but it was just posted on the pockebookreader Website last night. It was 11.19 before the link was updated last night - unless it is the same firmware and just the file name was changed.
Firmware version relesed on 11/23 differs from 11/19 one, the size of the font in drmed epus is fixed, as one thing, that could be seen immediately.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:20 AM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Firmware version relesed on 11/23 differs from 11/19 one, the size of the font in drmed epus is fixed, as one thing, that could be seen immediately.
What was wrong with the size (I only had 11/23 so far)? I know that the original Netronix firmware with ADE (as known from my Cool-er) did exactly double the font size from the smallest to the next font size (100%-200%). Still does, by the way!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
Katelyn
Addict

Quote:
What was wrong with the size (I only had 11/23 so far)? I know that the original Netronix firmware with ADE (as known from my Cool-er) did exactly double the font size from the smallest to the next font size (100%-200%). Still does, by the way!
After updating to version 11.19 the ability to choose a range of font sizes disappeared and I was left with 3 font sizes (toggled through sizes by arrow up). I could no longer use arrow down to drop font size and the range was really bad - teeny font (minuscule), slightly too large and huge.

Testing version 11.23, I find the smallest font size is now larger then I prefer, to huge to ridiculous. I'm going to play with font scaling in Calibre to see if I can make the default font sizes all smaller. I hope the programmers go back to allowing us to manually select an actual font size like they did in the original software. I don't like the very limited options I now have.

I'm still testing other features before I post more of my final opinions. Going from a Sony 505 to the 360 takes some relearning and letting go of some of the nice features of the 505 and embracing some of the very nice features of the 360 (and I thought I would hate folders - HA!).
Old 12-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
After updating to version 11.19 the ability to choose a range of font sizes disappeared and I was left with 3 font sizes (toggled through sizes by arrow up). I could no longer use arrow down to drop font size and the range was really bad - teeny font (minuscule), slightly too large and huge.

Testing version 11.23, I find the smallest font size is now larger then I prefer, to huge to ridiculous. I'm going to play with font scaling in Calibre to see if I can make the default font sizes all smaller. I hope the programmers go back to allowing us to manually select an actual font size like they did in the original software. I don't like the very limited options I now have.

I'm still testing other features before I post more of my final opinions. Going from a Sony 505 to the 360 takes some relearning and letting go of some of the nice features of the 505 and embracing some of the very nice features of the 360 (and I thought I would hate folders - HA!).
To have all the choice that you want fontwise, just open your book with FBReader (if it's not DRMed) To do that, choose a book, hold ok till a menu pops up then open with- FBReader. Ther e you have all the sizes you'll ever gonna want. I think there is oly a small chance that we will have all those choices on the Adobe viewer as it is not easy to tweak!