Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What would you do?
I'd order the Iliad for myself, then inform the communitiy! 9 75.00%
I'd head over to the forum and tell people to check the website and order then! 2 16.67%
I'd order the Iliad for myself and won't point it out to other mobileread members! 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2006, 06:23 AM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
If the iRex webshop opened now, what would you do?

Hello dear fellow mobilereaders!

The poll I'm putting up now is a bit of a psychology thing.

i'm very interested in seeing your answers to this "dilemma"
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:36 AM   #2
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

It depends on when it comes out as I'm heading off on holiday next week...! Ideally I wanted to take an iLiad with me to save on baggage... But I suppose thats for next time...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2006, 06:39 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Yeah, wanted to take one to Italy for the Weekend. Guess that wont happen.
I even wrote a script, that checks for changes on the iRex site and informs me via SMS if any occur
And yes, i know, i am nuts. Hope they have enough iLiads in stock for all of us.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:53 AM   #4
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I would order then inform the community.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:07 AM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
LOL that is a good one.

First I thought, of course I would tell the community first. But then I wondered, why would you even ask? And after realizing that they may be low in stock once the shop opens I decided to be selfish and vote for order first, tell afterwards
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2006, 08:26 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Hey TadW, its not selfish. Its a totally natural survival instinct
Old 05-23-2006, 08:55 AM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I agree tribble...

I wouldn't call it survival instinct, but it's very natural and healthy to think a bit egocentrically.

My opinion is:

Option 1 is healthy...you want the device, so of course you order it straight away. Then you remember all your pals from the forum that helped you "waste" the long weeks before the release, so you head over to the forums to tell them the good news.

Otion 2 is for people with a very "social" attitude. Putting other people's interests above your own can mean two things:

- you're not interested in buying the Iliad just yet, but aber interested enough to follow the whole story and encourage others to "beta-test" the device for you

- you're such a nice person that feel that it's your moral duty to tell others that the shop is open so that they have the same chances of getting a unint quickly as you do, even if that means potentially reducing your own chances. Psychoanlalysis probably has a complicated word to describe this type of behaviour (or at least it's "extreme form")...^^

Option 3 is for those of us who are really hardcore Iliad Lovers and want one, want to be the first to get one and will do almost everything to achieve that goal. You could call such behaiviour egoistical or even childish...some would say it is the best way to act in our modern world...I wouldn't...and i think most people who actually contribute to ongoing discussions like this one on internet message-boards won't belong to that category....^^
I suppose psychoanalysis has a lot to say here too...

I'm glad that most people here chose option 1...but to be honest I suspected as much...:-)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Of course I'm Mr Nice Guy who first comes here to announce the availability before ordering one myself.

Seriously though, if the Sony Reader gets out before the iRex, I'll probably buy the Sony. Sure it's not as a geeky and comes with a smaller screen, but it's probably also just half the price.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
- you're not interested in buying the Iliad just yet, but aber interested enough to follow the whole story and encourage others to "beta-test" the device for you
Well... I'm kind of torn between getting one straight away, and waiting to seeif there are any bugs... I was this close ("") to buying a Sony Reader in Japan a year ago, and since I'm in NYC next week, it'll be hard to avoid buying that, if it is launched soon...!
Old 05-23-2006, 09:52 AM   #10
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Seriously though, if the Sony Reader gets out before the iRex, I'll probably buy the Sony. Sure it's not as a geeky and comes with a smaller screen, but it's probably also just half the price.
Well, i wouldnt want to miss the 16 greyshades and the lager screen, but i wont go without notetaking capabilities, if it is to have. So the Sony wouldnt be an option for me. The price on the other hand is quite painful, but hope it will be worth it in the end. Especially, since iRex is alot more open to different formats than Sony is.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:56 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
That's true though I am hoping that the Sony will be quickly hooked up to some hacker's Linux box to be open for other formats as well.

I am just tired of waiting and since I am about to be on a visit to the US, if Sony happens to launch its reader by then, I'm sure I'll get one. But then again, if they need more time I may just as well get the iRex (note, for me, time is the issue here).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:08 AM   #12
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Yeah I would give it a couple of weeks before you see a breakdown of the Sony and a a couple of months more until there is a basic but working 'alternative' firmware for it.

Last edited by Riocaz; 05-23-2006 at 10:29 AM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:54 AM   #13
jęd
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz
Yeah I would give it a couple of weeks before you see a breakdown of the Sony and a a couple of months more until there is a basic but working 'alternative' firmware for it.
Well... I've got a PSP, and the first thing I though of when I got it was hacking the firmware... But as I've seen its harder than it looks, and that you have a chance of bricking it, I've gone off Sony products for a bit...