Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Jon - I wasn't sure how to insert a link, so I just underlined the titles to be grammatically correct. I did try to insert a link, but it appeared to be rather messy, so I just stuck with the underlined title.

Thanks.

SteveK
In the Advance editor of the forum you can highlight the text you want to make into a link, then click the "insert link" icon, it is the earth with the little chain link in front of it. You will get a popup just past the link into that.

Here is text that has a link.

Here is just a paste of that link into my message:
https://www.mobileread.com/

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #17
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
As a realtive noob what then is the difference between a "secure ePub" title from fictionwise and regular (non secure) "ePub" title. Is it simply that the secure one has DRM on it?

What are the implications for me if I am planning on buy the new Sony Daily Edition? Can I buy these but have to have ADE installed? Or, if this is the new B&N DRM will it not work at all?

thanks

Last edited by dsvick; 12-11-2009 at 01:37 PM.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #18
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
W00t!! Most of the ePub books I've read convert far better than the eReader books. I automatically download my multiformat books in ePub and as long as I can liberate DRMed ePubs I'll be buying those whenever possible.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #19
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
here's a link to the first title
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b18731/?si=0

i don't see secure epub - i see mobi, pdf, microsoft reader and ereader.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #20
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Second title:

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b68835/?si=0

Secure adobe epub shows up as an option for me.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #21
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Basschick - that's strange, as I definitely have an EPUB version of the book, and EPUB is listed in my bookshelf. But when I click on the title (even from my bookshelf), it only shows the formats you mention. I'm wondering if perhaps the EPUB format was perhaps offered prematurely on some titles.

Despite the growing pains, hopefully the availability of a few EPUB titles is an indication they will be adding EPUB as an option on more titles.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #22
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I bought a couple of secure ePubs today from Fictionwise and after liberating and converting they look great on my Kindle! I've never been completely happy with the eReader conversions even though the tools are improving.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #23
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There seem to be relatively few Secure EPUBs, but browsing Hachette Group or Random House or Penguin shows a few of them. Also, the Big Bargins contain quite a few EPUBS with 100% rebate.

These are standard Adobe ePubs, which ineptepub.pyw can make DRM-free.

I tried three search sites for The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson and all three (Inkmesh, addall, and ebookprice.info) failed to find ePub at FictionWise. So I think these must be very new, and perhaps not reported in their external catalogue yet.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:04 AM   #24
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes, or there will be soon. It is currently only supported on the Nook. See Adobe CS5 introduces password-protected ebook DRM.
Oh, crap....
I hope this one will be cracked, or not used at all.

No way i buy book I can't de-drm. (Plus, my Opus won't read these files..) And I guess i wanna be carefull. Hopefully, websites willl make clear mention of what drm is used.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:07 AM   #25
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
(Plus, my Opus won't read these files..)
But maybe with a firmware update...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:16 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
But maybe with a firmware update...
That's the one that's due the second Monday of next week, isn't it? .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #27
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
well, the second monday of SOME week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's the one that's due the second Monday of next week, isn't it? .
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #28
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
here's a link to the first title
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b18731/?si=0

i don't see secure epub - i see mobi, pdf, microsoft reader and ereader.

That shows secure adobe PDF in the dropdown.

buy the other link above shows Secure Adobe EPUB
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #29
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Has anyone gotten any confirmation from Fictionwise that their secure epub will work on Sony's?
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:04 AM   #30
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I bought 2 secure epub books today, and they are using the current Adobe DRM. They downloaded through ADE. I don't have a Sony reader, but if it can read secure epubs, then it ought to read them. If not, and you're willing to strip the DRM, there's also that. Of course, there's no guaranty that Fictionwise won't switch to the new password/credit card DRM as soon as it's available.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote