Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
Copynik
Copynik began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Nook on eBay already-unreal

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. People are selling nooks they haven't even received yet on eBay for considerably more than the $259 selling price. Those being sold with guaranteed delivery in time for Christmas are priced from $350 all the way up to the ridiculous "Buy it Now" price of $799!!!!

Maybe I should've pre-ordered two and sold one, but it just all seems so ridiculous to me. It's amazing what people will pay for instant gratification. They could easily pre-order the nook from B&N for $259 for post-holiday delivery and give the recipient the holiday card B&N is offering for nook pre-orders.
Copynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Capitalism! Ya' gotta' love it!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
I am one of those evil capitalist.

Sold it for 444, then looking to order a new one to keep with delivery in January.

But I am still enjoying my Sony 505
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
RTownsend
RTownsend began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook; iRex; Kindle2; iPhone
Wow - I haven't heard of that before. I am looking forward to getting one, although I am developing quite an eReader collection. It looks as though there will be a few more fabulous options by Jan or Feb 2010.
RTownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
They're mostly going for people outside of the U.S. where the nook won't be sold.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
I'm probably going to list mine for like $500 or so.

My refurb $189 K2 really is adequate. Offer free overnight shipping and BIN with MSFT cashback and you will sell if fast. Nice free Kindle from the profit.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrktank View Post
I am one of those evil capitalist.

Sold it for 444, then looking to order a new one to keep with delivery in January.

But I am still enjoying my Sony 505
I'm not complaining; only wishing I had the same foresight!

Let's see: (259 * 2) - 444 = $74.00 that you paid for your Nook.

Not bad. Not bad at all! And somewhere out there in e-bayland, some yuppie with more money than brains has a $444 gift to make his beloved smile!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-30-2009 at 12:00 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
Copynik
Copynik began at the beginning.

Device: nook
What's wild is there are still several listings on eBay claiming the nook will ship to the highest bidder the week of 11/30. Not going to happen now.

One seller is claiming he or she will receive theirs 12/4 and they will refund $50 to the winning bidder if the bidder receives it AFTER 12/10.

Given the delays, I'm sure that seller is going to eat $50.
Copynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The silly things people do. Here is a listing on ebay as of 5 minutes ago.............already 30 bids, and price is up to $550.......closes in 2 hrs. For a product that sells for $259
retail.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Barnes-Noble-Noo...item27ad7e0b99

Now, pay particular attention to the disclaimer...."sold as is, no returns"

Do you suppose BN will handle any defective or problems when bought by a third party?

That will be an interesting thing to find out.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast
Nitrousoxide began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
The silly things people do. Here is a listing on ebay as of 5 minutes ago.............already 30 bids, and price is up to $550.......closes in 2 hrs. For a product that sells for $259
retail.

Do you suppose BN will handle any defective or problems when bought by a third party?

I imagine they will treat it the same as if you gifted the Nook to someone.
Nitrousoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
This is more of a chicken-fight than a black-market habit.

Likely, these units are potentially ones that had been put into the reject pile.... Nothing like getting a buggy, constantly crashing Nook for christmas...

(To surpress the feeling of being jinxed, this is why I'm glad I just pre-ordered the Nook as an early adopter)

Last edited by Not_A_Crook; 12-06-2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Grammar
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
retail.

I found this disclaimer from the seller amusing!
"- I am not responsible for any delays by Barnes & Noble or the shipping company."
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_A_Crook View Post
This is more of a chicken-fight than a black-market habit.

Likely, these units are potentially ones that had been put into the reject pile.... Nothing like getting a buggy, constantly crashing Nook for christmas...

(To surpress the feeling of being jinxed, this is why I'm glad I just pre-ordered the Nook as an early adopter)
No........I think these are one that people have pre-ordered, then when the "shortage" came, realized they could turn a quick profit.....
Old 12-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #14
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
Quote:
No........I think these are one that people have pre-ordered, then when the "shortage" came, realized they could turn a quick profit.....
That's where the concern bases itself- COULD their be a fishy motive behind all that trouble?

I'm just wondering if their is an authentication system for unreleased devices in postal services... (Such as, how is this device legally slated for shipping?)

/I'm coming off as paranoid, I guess

Last edited by Not_A_Crook; 12-06-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_A_Crook View Post
That's where the concern bases itself- COULD their be a fishy motive behind going through that trouble?

I'm just wondering if their is an authentication system for unreleased devices in postal services... (Such as, how is this device legally slated for shipping?)

/I'm coming off as paranoid, I guess
urm.......yes I think so .

Last year, the same thing was happening with Kindles around Christmas. I distinctly remember one being listed for $1500!!! It didn't sell for that, of course, but still.........