Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #16
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sigh last year it was Kaspersky that didn't like calibre. And AVG that silently prevented the content server from running.
Do you think it's a conspiracy against made in America products?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #17
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So far, the best one out there is Comodo. It's not had a problem and when I tell it to ignore something, it does it.

Norton is one of the worst and it slows down your computer very noticeably.
John, Norton stopped slowing down the computer beginning with the 2009 version. That problem has been fixed.

As for Comodo, it certainly is an excellent firewall and gives calibre no problems (at least not on my computer), but its AV program is very lackluster and not one that I would recommend (not that I'm any kind of computer guru that anyone should follow blindly in this regard).

Also the problem could be in the antispyware components of some of the programs. Nowadays every program tries to be the kitchen sink of software rather than concentrating on a single thing and doing it well (kinda reminds me of the multifunction cell phone/music player/video player/internet & e-mail/ebook reader device that everyone is waiting for).

The only thing I can say with absolute certainty is that in my setup -- Comodo Firewall, BitDefender 2010 AV (and previously 2009 AV and 2008 AV), and Counterspy 3.1 (and earlier versions) -- there is no problem with calibre.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #18
FoolforBooks
FoolforBooks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thank you all for the suggestions and the laughs. I have some new buddies in the call center as well. Since I just paid $50 yesterday, I'll keep it for now, and investigate your other suggestions.

Anyway, there is a solution --before and after -- Here is the Norton team's response:

In order to install and use the electronic book library program with out turning off

the Sonar protection, we can change the trust level of that program so that you can

use it.

Please follow the steps given below to make the electronic book library program as a

trusted program of Norton.

* Open your Norton program.

* Click on Settings in the Network pane.

* Under smart Firewall click Configure next to Program Control.

* Click on Add button and select the electronic book library program to set it as a

Norton trusted program.
----------------

There is also a method to restore the file by clicking on the Quarantine, options, restoring the file and checking it as trusted. I missed that the first time through. It says it has completely removed the file, but it was actually quarantined.

Thanks, Judy
FoolforBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #19
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Thanks for the insite about Norton 2010 "Foolforbooks". Having tried a variety of antivirus and security programs over the years, I went back to Norton because they have absolutely the best technical support. They have even helped me troubleshoot hardware issues that have nothing to do with Norton.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote