Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #46
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajje View Post
Hello

im planing to buy a sony reader but cant figure out which one to take. now it seems like i go for the 600 touch edition but im not sure

so my question is this to 600 owners:
After having your device for a couple of weeks have you compared it to the 300 and regret that you bought the 600 instead of 300?

please tell me why i should take the 600 instead of the 300
Sony 300 has a HUGE disadvantage: There's only one way for turning pages - using the central 5 way button. VERY inconvenient, whether you're left- or right-handed.
What good is a better display, if turning pages is a pain in the ass?
Personally, I'm not using my Sony 300 at all anymore.
Ordered the Sony 900, though. And I'm fine with Sony 505 and 600.
Suggestion: Why not go for Sony 505? Same display as Sony 300, even 1" bigger and really cheap right now.

Last edited by mgmueller; 12-19-2009 at 11:26 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #47
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's strange. I too do all my reading on a PRS-600 with reading lamps and normal room lighting, and don't have the slightest difficulty. Perhaps your PRS-600 has a faulty screen?
I had similar problems. Depending on how the lighting is in the room, you have to get the 600 into some odd positions to eliminate the reflections.

Overhead fluorescents are some of the worst lighting for a 600 as I found out in my office. Clip-on reading lights and sunlight are probably the best lighting. Anything where your face gets a lot of light (from a reading lamp, for example), it is easy to get the reflection of your face competing with the light reflecting off the e-ink screen.

Not everyone will have the same experiences, and that is one of the big issues with the 600. It varies from person to person, and for some of us, there is just too much reflection coming off the screen. I don't call it glare since the glare from lighting is actually pretty similar to the 505, but the 600 definitely reflects a lot more light off the touch-screen surface instead of the e-Ink screen than the 505.

It's a shame, because the 600/900 models would be darn-near perfect if the surface had low-reflectivity, and it'd be hard to NOT recommend it over any other reader on the market (and even with the reflections, it ranks towards the top on my own list).

EDIT: All this said, for a device with wireless, I'd still rank the 900 over the nook and Kindle now that I've played with one of the demos of the 900. The 600 is still a darn good device, and the best if you need take lots of notes but aren't willing to pay the extra for the 900.

Last edited by Kolenka; 12-21-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert