Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 11-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Post Tips & Tricks: A "Dictionary" discovery

In my constant exploration of the capabilities of the PEZ, I thought I would load an MR ebook Dictionary which I had downloaded earlier. I had been exclusively using mobipocket format before I bought the PEZ.

So, I put the GNU Collaberative International Dictionary (GCIDE), in mobipocket format, on the internal memory.

I access it and brought up the index. One item: Look up a Word.

I selected it, and it began listing all the words, beginning with the numbered words, i.e., 1st, 217th, etc. I tried the page foward which worked one page at a time, I tried the hold page forward for the ten pages at a time, it did not work. I pressed the OK key for the menu, and lo and behold, it came up with "1 Search in index."

So I selected it, and it brought up the Search screen, I entered a word, it took me to the index page that the word was on, selected the word, and I have the definition page.

A workaround dictionary...

Hope this helps someone.

AJ

Last edited by AJ Starr; 11-13-2009 at 11:24 PM.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Thanks for the tip.

Installed it in the main memory, today. Tested it out.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Nice discovery. Searching is a bit slow and tedious, but it works!
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:19 AM   #4
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
I will first wait to see if the dictionary support comes out soon in an update.
Otherwise I will definitely try this idea with the GNU Collaborative International Dictionary.
Thanks for the idea AJ.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:00 AM   #5
usagi_chan
Enthusiast
usagi_chan began at the beginning.

Device: Black Pocket Pro (my preciousss)
Does this work with the firmware from 09 10 2009? That is the one I'm currently using. It would be great to be able to use a dictionary. I have a lit dictionary from Microsoft, but my Pez doesn't open it. And speaking about firmware, could it be possible to upload here different firmwares, so we could test and compare them? I saw the version listing thread from AJ, it's very useful.
usagi_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 05:19 AM   #6
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_chan View Post
And speaking about firmware, could it be possible to upload here different firmwares, so we could test and compare them? I saw the version listing thread from AJ, it's very useful.
Ekaser is collecting firmware at his site http://www.kaser.com/ebooks.html
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #7
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does this work with the firmware from 09 10 2009? That is the one I'm currently using. It would be great to be able to use a dictionary. I have a lit dictionary from Microsoft, but my Pez doesn't open it. And speaking about firmware, could it be possible to upload here different firmwares, so we could test and compare them? I saw the version listing thread from AJ, it's very useful.

I don't know. I have the latest, November's, downloaded. I also tried other indexes to see if the search function worked. It did not show up in normal listings, I'll keep looking at different types of indicies when I have a few moments.

AJ

I'm glad you like the version listing..
Old 11-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
usagi_chan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Ekaser is collecting firmware at his site http://www.kaser.com/ebooks.html
Thank you for the link, very useful. And thank you, Ekaser, for doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I don't know. I have the latest, November's, downloaded. I also tried other indexes to see if the search function worked. It did not show up in normal listings, I'll keep looking at different types of indicies when I have a few moments.

AJ

I'm glad you like the version listing..
Oh, I see. I will upgrade to that one and give it a try. Where can I find this dictionary? Is it here, on MR? Would you please, point me in the right direction? Many thanks
Old 11-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Thank you for the link, very useful. And thank you, Ekaser, for doing it.

Oh, I see. I will upgrade to that one and give it a try. Where can I find this dictionary? Is it here, on MR? Would you please, point me in the right direction? Many thanks

Yes, the dictionary is from MR. The GNU Collaberative International Dictionary (GCIDE), in mobipocket format.

AJ
Old 11-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Yes, the dictionary is from MR. The GNU Collaberative International Dictionary (GCIDE), in mobipocket format.

AJ
BTW, my updated Webster's Dictionary 1913 v2.1.prc also works as a true lookup-type mobipocket dictionary (at least with my iLiad ).

There's even a .epub version of that dictionary (in a standalone/non-lookup form) available here.

All free and available right here at MR.com!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
BTW, my updated Webster's Dictionary 1913 v2.1.prc also works as a true lookup-type mobipocket dictionary (at least with my iLiad ).

There's even a .epub version of that dictionary (in a standalone/non-lookup form) available here.

I did download the 1913 dictionary, but have yet to put it on. I'll get to it soon and try both prc and epubs out. Thanks for fixing it.

AJ
Old 11-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #12
usagi_chan
Enthusiast

Thank you, AJ, nrapallo. I found both dictionaries and downloaded them. They are now on my PEZ and I manged to make them work. A little bit complicated, but usable. Although I'm hoping we'll get dictionary support with the next firmwares, with Robertb's help. He always considers our requests and forwards them to the factory.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #13
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post

I just loaded the 1913 Dictionary. It is very nicely done. Two general comments: All the great hyperlinks to jump to the words are "blue", as hyperlinks always are. However, that makes them hard to read on the einks. Great on the computer, though.

Second, the "seach" feature I found in the index of the .prc file obviously does not work in the epub file index. On your file, though, your indexing is great so a search feature is not needed.

The 1913 dictionary is obviously larger than the GCIDE dictionary because it does take longer to access the pages. So be patient when selecting your hypelinked words.

All in all a good dictionary. Now there are at least two that work.

Does anyone else know of another copyright free one we can try?

AJ
Old 11-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
AJ Starr
Guru

Question I'm confused

All right. I have not been able to duplicate the seach feature in the index with any of my other files. So I started digging.

It seems the GCIDE is a product of GNU, which I had to go look up since I didn't know what that was. (I'm still confused.)

But it appears that whomever created the GCIDE for Mobileread coded it initially for the Illiad. And it has ASCII(??) code with a prc overlay???????

I repeat...I'm confused.

Anyway, whatever they did allows the Search feature in the index, and I can't duplicated elsewhere.

If anyone knows what's going on, I'd appreciate some insite.

Meanwhile, we've got two accessible dictionaries for the EZ Reader. Enjoy.
AJ
Old 11-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #15
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Anyway, whatever they did allows the Search feature in the index, and I can't duplicated elsewhere.

If anyone knows what's going on, I'd appreciate some insite.
What is required to "activate" the Search feature is to follow the Mobipocket guidelines for producing dictionaries as posted here in this thread and use the <guide> section of the .opf either by manually editing it or by using Mobipocket Creator.

I explored how I finally got the Webster's Dictionary 1913 (ver 2.1) working as a true look-up type dictionary starting at this post.

Without doing these steps, the ebooks cannot use the Search feature.

BTW, Nate the great used this same technique to get his 2008 World Fact Book working as a true lookup ebook!

Last edited by nrapallo; 11-14-2009 at 06:26 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote