Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
Sans Oblast
Sans Oblast began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
I appear to have bricked my Reader :-(

Hi,
I haven't post here before, although I have read a fair bit, and found you site very helpful.

I bought a PRS600 a few weeks ago, and am very pleased with it, but now it has stopped working. Having searched the web, I can find no one else with a similar issue.

I was loading new books onto it, and after finishing I disconnected the device. It went through the usual process, but when it came to display the menu all that is displayed is the lines that divide the menu options, the shading of the lower menu, and in the place at the bottom where loading would usually go is the following text: "1fskin:/l/string...". With out "".

Suffice to say I am quite stuck. By exercising the power and reset buttons I can get it to reboot, but it says loading book like normal, and goes back to that screen. I can't shut it off, only reboot, and I can't even work out exactly how to get it to reboot, just seems to do it when I keep pressing reset and power. I have tried a hard reset, nothing changes.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04, and using Calibre. I have Windows available if needed.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Sans Oblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Reset, then connect USB while it's booting. It should boot into "USB connected" screen and you should be able to clear the internal memory.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
DojoPat
literature lover
DojoPat has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Ereader PRS-505 & PRS-300
I've found the Sony tech support helpline is also pretty good. They will know how to break this loop for you. I don't have the phone number at hand - it was included in the Warranty papers with the ereader.
DojoPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:27 AM   #4
Sans Oblast
Sans Oblast began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Fixed. Had to format the internal memory, but it works at least. Thanks for the help guys.
Sans Oblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
susytp
susytp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
how can I format the internal memory if I can not acces the reader (only can aces by explorer from windows) ?
I have this same problem and I can fix it, I need help....
thanks

Fix it !!!!!!!!

Last edited by susytp; 11-14-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: fix spelling
susytp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
R0B_IX
Enthusiast
R0B_IX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I just had the same thing happen to me and since this was the first thread I came across, I wanted to add in a bit more information to help future victims.

First, there is no reason to format the device. Instead, once you get your reader to a state where you can see it in windows explorer or mount it in Linux/OSX, go to the directory \database\cache\ and rename media.xml to media.xml.bak. You could probably just delete media.xml, but the site I was reading suggested just moving the file and I didn't want to risk further frustrations.

Second, when speaking to a Sony rep, he gave this suggestion for resetting the device:
1. Hold the reset button for 20 seconds
2. Press the power switch twice.
I had to do this about three times before it accomplished anything, but eventually the device restarted once and then a yellow light started blinking. The first time it worked, the device was not plugged into the PC, but I have no idea if that's important. At that point, the procedure can be repeated and during the restart, plug the device into the computer. As long as you plug it in before it tries to process media.xml, you will be put into a usb mode and can make the modifications necessary.

(Media.xml information obtained from http://wannemacher.us/?p=238)
R0B_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
mcwang66
mcwang66 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I have the same problem. Can anyone tell me how to format the internal memory?
Thanks
mcwang66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:19 AM   #8
andreaf
andreaf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
My reader is only one week old and I also have this problem. I tried following the steps posted here, but I can't rename the media.xml file, since the "cache" folder won't open (it says it's corrupted). Any ideas?

Could someone explain how to format the internal memory?

Thanks a lot!
andreaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:34 AM   #9
fizzywiz
fizzywiz began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3 ver1.2 Build 834
Well, to format the drive in XP you just right click on it in my computer and click format, choose fat32 and start.
fizzywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
susytp
susytp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
I got that problem solved only by charging it for about 4 hours, then I connect it to the PC and rename \database\cache\media.xml to media.xml.bak

and I solved it!!!!
susytp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #11
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I got this problem today but thanks to this thread was able to fix the reader.

I pressed the reset button, then the power switch before quickly plugging in via USB. I wasn't able to do anything other than delete the corrupt XML file which I did. It is now recharging as it has a low battery but I managed to get it working again and am back to the main menu with my books still showing.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
Djinn Hache
Fourth Rider
Djinn Hache began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinn Hache View Post
Hello. It's my first message at this forum and my language is not english so, forgive my bad use of language.

It happened to me and I was so worried. I think it should post here to help anyone who had this problem on the future.

I'll paste the link because the solution was posted by another user. Credits to him.

http://wannemacher.us/?p=238&cpage=1

See you.

Hope it helps.
Djinn Hache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #13
albarron
albarron began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Hi there! It's the first time I write here

This is an old topic indeed. Nevertheless, it is still relevant.
Just to confirm:

I sent a ne book with calibre, but after finishing I was unable to umount, so I just unplugged the device, resulting in the well known 1fskin:/l/string screen.

I wasn't able to rename \database\cache\media.xml. Linux said that it was unable to write in the file system and Windows said that the file was corrupt and it wasn't able to rename it.

I felt a little bit risky and just deleted the file. Anyway, the information was already lost!

The good news is all my books are still there. the bad ine is that all my notes and collections are lost

I hope my experience is useful for anybody.

Bye
albarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:33 AM   #14
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
albarron
Quote:
I wasn't able to rename \database\cache\media.xml. Linux said that it was unable to write in the file system and Windows said that the file was corrupt and it wasn't able to rename it.
Checkdisk could have helped. You could access it from "tools" tab in drive's properties or just via command line:

chkdsk /f z:

(instead of z: you should have drive letter corresponding to reader's internal memory)
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #15
luma
luma began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the great help.

Took a few tries of pressing the reset button, but then it worked and I plugged it in.

$ su
# mount /dev/sdc/ /media/dsksdl/
# cd /media/dsksdl/
# cd database/cache/
# rm media.xml

I don't use notes so I just removed the media.xml file. But my notes were still there anyway!
luma is offline   Reply With Quote