Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #346
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
You bought the wrong ESV. This one was just loaded into Amazon and uses an Index key with abbreviations and spaces. It was only published Feb 9, 2011.

The price is zero. The other had a real price. I don't understand why Amazon is giving this book away free.

It has a chapter describing how to use the DVJ. I don't remember a chapter like that in any of the other Osnova bibles. Also, as one starts typing the abbreviations, all the index at that level appears.
Amazon says I bought it before and won't let me get it again. Not sure how to circumvent the system.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #347
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Update: I had to call Kindle CS to get the updated version. They told me it was not user serviceable and that I had to go through Kindle CS to update the version.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #348
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Of all the Kindle Bibles I bought and downloaded, it seems what they all have in common is a lack of the name of the book of the Bible on the page anywhere, once navigating there. Of course this may be due to the fact that I'm not using an actual Kindle, so I'm speaking just for the users of the apps. We app users also seem to lose the verse jump ability. Ah well... that I guess I can live without. But I'd sure like it!

So I decided to try the Olivetree app on my ipad and all the Bibles I got (mostly free) had the books listed atop each page. So if you really need this detail while reading, and I surely do, AND if you're running off an ipad/ipod, you might want to give that a try.

That said, I bought and like the ESV Study Bible from Amazon more than the others I own. Nice job putting it together.
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #349
Charlie Dog
Charlie Dog began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
This NOT an update to the free version, which IS a great deal if you don't want/need study notes

This is an update to the ESV Study Bible, which in my opinion has many great study notes. ESV Study Bible by Crossway Bibles (Kindle Edition - Apr. 9, 2009) - Kindle eBook
Buy: $9.99

You need to contact Amazon Customer Service and the will re-download the updated version, which does overwrite your existing copy and unfortunately whipes out personal notes and underlines.
Charlie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #350
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by januaryman View Post
Of all the Kindle Bibles I bought and downloaded, it seems what they all have in common is a lack of the name of the book of the Bible on the page anywhere, once navigating there. Of course this may be due to the fact that I'm not using an actual Kindle, so I'm speaking just for the users of the apps. We app users also seem to lose the verse jump ability. Ah well... that I guess I can live without. But I'd sure like it!

So I decided to try the Olivetree app on my ipad and all the Bibles I got (mostly free) had the books listed atop each page. So if you really need this detail while reading, and I surely do, AND if you're running off an ipad/ipod, you might want to give that a try.

That said, I bought and like the ESV Study Bible from Amazon more than the others I own. Nice job putting it together.
To have "the books listed atop each page," the viewer software has to support headers, Amazon's viewer (both the applications and the Kindles), has no such support. The header support could also be included in the format. The closest workaround that I have come up with is to put the name of the book at the beginning of each chapter. I could of course insert the abbreviated book name in front of each verse but I think it would be too distracting while reading.

=====

I've reported the ESV and ESV Study Bible having DVJ-2 some time ago in this thread and on my blog. I did not do the conversion for Crossway, they did it on their own. They also included my trick with chapter/book navigation.

Yes, you have to call Amazon CS if you want to update your earlier version of any book, not just ESV. It's because the update deletes all the notes and highlights that you might have in your existing book.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #351
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I put the entire sermon Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God by Jonathan Edwards on my blog. I think it is timely (although preached in 1741), given the discussion started by the recent book Love Wins by Rob Bell. I've also made it into an ebook and added Edwards's son's (also Jonathan Edwards) essay on the teaching of universal salvation (not that Bell is teaching that).

Last edited by osnova; 04-01-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #352
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

The New Testament in the Original Greek, Byzantine Textform 2005 (with Direct Verse Jump) is now available from the OSNOVA Store. It should also appear on Amazon as soon as it is approved.
=====

THE NEW TESTAMENT was written in Koine Greek during the first century AD. From the time of its original revelation, handwritten copies continually were prepared in order tomaintain and preserve that original text into the modern era. All copies made prior to the invention of movable-type printing were made by hand, resulting in various scribal alterations, most of these being of a minor nature. Although the autographs no longer exist and no two manuscript copies are completely identical, sufficient evidence exists by which one can produce an accurate representation of the original text by comparing and evaluating the overall manuscript consensus. Robinson and Pierpont have taken the utmost care in preparing that text for this edition.

Last edited by osnova; 04-01-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #353
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Osnova, why haven't you used the Nestle-Aland/UBS text for the NT? That is generally regarded as the "definitive" edition of the Greek NT.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #354
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

First, many publications from OSNOVA are driven by requests from readers. I specifically received a request for this text.

Second, the German Bible Society claims copyright in NA/UBS text and has shut down several projects based on "their" text (and here, and here). I suspect their claim will not hold (at least under U.S. copyright laws) in court but I don't want to be the one to test it. So, basically, NA/UBS text cannot be used by folks like me.

Third, I was personally interested in the Byzantine textform because I find Robinson's arguments more persuasive than the arguments for the eclectic text of NA/UBS despite the consensus of textual critics to the contrary.

I would still publish NA/UBS text if I could but see #2. I may in the future publish SBL GNT but it will have to be free per their license (I am still reviewing their license for details what can and cannot be done with the text).

Wescott-Hort and some others are in the public domain but they are dated and I have not received any requests for those.

Also, don't forget that Robinson/Pierpont apparatus identifies main NA/UBS variants.

Last edited by osnova; 04-01-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #355
speedlever
Fanatic

Just curious if you've reworked those video tutorials yet?
Old 04-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #356
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Just curious if you've reworked those video tutorials yet?
Not yet. I haven't been able to find an hour or two of peace and quiet at home to do the video taping
Old 04-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #357
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Osnova,

Keep up the pressure on NIV by Zondervan. That is the one used all the time in my Church.

I think folks would even pay a higher price for an Osnova NIV than the other Bibles. I believe its the most used of all the others nationally.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #358
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Amazon has rejected the Greek New Testament because Greek is "not supported by Amazon." Why do they sell other Greek materials in the Kindle Store? So, the only way to get it is to buy from the OSNOVA Store.

Last edited by osnova; 04-15-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #359
speedlever
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
I haven't been able to find an hour or two of peace and quiet at home
Peace and quiet... young children. Never the two shall meet!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #360
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Some things I didn't know. Interesting. I knew that it was written in Greek, but not the form of the Greek. Though Jesus is often referred to as Jesus Christ, Christ isn't a surname. It comes from the Greek word Christos (as I recall) and means 'annointed one' which points to the Messiah of course because the Messiah would be the annointed one i.e. the King. I've never read the Bible in the original language (I don't know how to read anything but English), but the history behind it is interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post

The New Testament in the Original Greek, Byzantine Textform 2005 (with Direct Verse Jump) is now available from the OSNOVA Store. It should also appear on Amazon as soon as it is approved.
=====

THE NEW TESTAMENT was written in Koine Greek during the first century AD. From the time of its original revelation, handwritten copies continually were prepared in order tomaintain and preserve that original text into the modern era. All copies made prior to the invention of movable-type printing were made by hand, resulting in various scribal alterations, most of these being of a minor nature. Although the autographs no longer exist and no two manuscript copies are completely identical, sufficient evidence exists by which one can produce an accurate representation of the original text by comparing and evaluating the overall manuscript consensus. Robinson and Pierpont have taken the utmost care in preparing that text for this edition.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote