Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 02:02 AM   #1
shineofleo
shineofleo began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
Some doubts with the battery of 600

There was some rumor that the battery for 600 is not that good. At first I just ignore it and happy with mine, which hasn't been fully charged a second time.

But now, after a full charge, and it has become half of the battery after merely 100 pages turn. There may be extra operations, including sleep, and it has been around 2 weeks after the charge.

Still, the battery seems not last that long according to Sony's official notes.

So, want some comment from the 600 owner about the battery. Or is there something I can do about saving the juice or charge it correctly?

Thanks!
shineofleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I don't think it's quite that simple...

When I first got the 600 I did a test of how many full pageturns (full pageturns, being defined as a full flash, not just skipping through) I could do on a full charge...

I got a low battery notice after about 6600 pages. But it was still going at 10000 page turns.

That said however, I have to recharge my 600 at least twice a week. After far less than 10000 pages read. whereas my 505 would run between 7 and 10 days on a single charge.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shineofleo View Post
There was some rumor that the battery for 600 is not that good. At first I just ignore it and happy with mine, which hasn't been fully charged a second time.

But now, after a full charge, and it has become half of the battery after merely 100 pages turn. There may be extra operations, including sleep, and it has been around 2 weeks after the charge.

Still, the battery seems not last that long according to Sony's official notes.

So, want some comment from the 600 owner about the battery. Or is there something I can do about saving the juice or charge it correctly?

Thanks!
It's the "two weeks" that's the issue. Unless you fully shut down the PRS-600, it's running continually, and the battery is being drained. If you're not going to be using it for a while, you should shut it down using the menu item; that will preserve the battery charge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I missed that bit entirely Harry.

Oh BTW with the 600 you don't need to faff your way through a number of menus to shutdown the reader entirely.

Slide the power button and hold it for about 5 seconds or so and it will ask if you want to shut it down.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
shineofleo

Thanks! Now I got some ideas about the battery.
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz View Post
Slide the power button and hold it for about 5 seconds or so and it will ask if you want to shut it down.
I can't believe Sony makes no effort whatsoever to tell us that, along with pretty much everything else. I could have used the 600 for five years and never noticed that. Thanks!
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:22 AM   #7
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
I can't believe Sony makes no effort whatsoever to tell us that, along with pretty much everything else. I could have used the 600 for five years and never noticed that. Thanks!
Err...page 11 of the PRS-600 manual. Then again, who has the time to read manuals right

Also, the same page states:
Quote:
The Reader has a Power Management feature to avoid
unnecessary battery consumption. At purchase, the Power
Management is activated. The Power Management operates
as follows:
  • After 60 minutes of inactivity, the Reader enters sleep mode automatically while the battery power is consumed slightly.
  • After 5 days of inactivity, the Reader automatically shuts down and stops consuming the battery power.
  • If the battery power is at a low level, the Reader will shut down after 60 minutes of inactivity
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
It's contrary to my nature to be cruel, but RTFM.

Sony PRS-600 Users Manual, Pg 11.

Quote:
To turn off the Reader
Slide the POWER switch again.
The Reader turns off. After turned off, the Reader enters
sleep mode.
When turning off the Reader, if you slide the POWER switch
and hold it for more than 3 seconds, the Reader shuts down.
After posting, I see orion2001 beat me to it.

Last edited by MSJim; 10-16-2009 at 06:49 AM.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:20 AM   #9
shineofleo

So 'turn off' is different from 'shut down'...

By the way, do I have to shut it down, when charging the ebook?
Old 10-16-2009, 06:44 AM   #10
MSJim
Bookworm

Quote:
So 'turn off' is different from 'shut down'...
In this case yes. The way the Sony manual defines it, "turn off" puts the Reader in sleep mode, and "shut down" actually powers the device down. The Reader will restart almost instantly from the "turn off" state, but is much slower to restart if it has been "shut down".

Quote:
By the way, do I have to shut it down, when charging the ebook?
No. I have never "shut down" my Reader.

Last edited by MSJim; 10-16-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:33 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All that "turning the Reader off" does is to blank the screen and lock most of the buttons. The operating system is still running, and (slowly) consuming the battery.

"Shut down" genuinely turns the machine off.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:36 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJim View Post
It's contrary to my nature to be cruel, but RTFM.
In fairness to the original poster, the "FM" for the PRS-600 is NOT easy to find if you're a novice user. It's hidden away inside a ZIP file in a folder that you can only access by looking at the Reader with Windows Explorer.

A little patience, please.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJim View Post
but is much slower to restart if it has been "shut down"..
Define "much slower" please? Is it about the same as a pin reset? I had the "opportunity" to witness one of those with a Best Buy demo--the thing was hung when I wanted to play with it so a clerk had to reset it. I was pleasantly surprised at how short the process was. Less than a minute, I think. Does it make a difference if you have a bunch of files on the unit? Obviously, the demo unit has next to nothing....
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, it slows down a lot if you have many items in your library. With 150 books, for example, it takes about 1 minute to "scan" the library.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #15
MSJim
Bookworm

Harry, you're right, I was rash, but the manual is not hard to find. I got my copy to study before I bought the reader by Googling "Sony PRS-600 manual". It's good to know that the manual (User's Guide) is provided in a zip file though. I hadn't looked for it on the Reader.