Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I've been Kindled

Kindle2 specifically. Arrived about an hour ago. I had sample book already ready to go, "House of Sand and Fog" and it downloaded immediately.

I'd already downloaded to my computer a separate sample "A-Few-Short-Notes-on-Tropical-Butterflies" which I proceeded to purchase and download to my computer. I've been able to transfer that book to the kindle as well as doing a few other things with it I think the only thing I've not yet tested is copying a non-drm mobi book to the kindle. I do expect that to work... I saw some dictionary look-ups working

I do like the display and the size (thin-ness) of the kindle! The ergonomics of button pushing etc are fine, but certainly not what I'd call perfect.

I had thought it would have a Standard mini USB plug but it appears to be propitiatory (like the amazon book format) .

I'd like to thank everyone for their help as I was evaluating whether to take this step to an additional reader or not. I'm a happy guy at this point.

Last edited by kennyc; 10-17-2009 at 01:57 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just tested the non-drm mobi by copying 1984 over to it.

Enjoy!
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I had thought it would have a Standard mini USB plug but it appears to be propitiatory (like the amazon book format) .
It's Micro USB which is becoming a standard of sorts for things like cell phones.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
I've been Kindled.
Fired? Fired up?

Quote:
I'm a happy guy at this point.
Congratulations!!
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It's Micro USB which is becoming a standard of sorts for things like cell phones.
Ah. Cool. I've not encountered this type before I guess..
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Fired? Fired up?

Old 10-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Glad you are enjoying it and happy.

Don't forget that you can get free samples of Amazon books and read the first chapter or so to evaluate it before buying. That, along with reader reviews is a big help.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Glad you are enjoying it and happy.

Don't forget that you can get free samples of Amazon books and read the first chapter or so to evaluate it before buying. That, along with reader reviews is a big help.
Oh yeah, that's always of use.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think you'll be going back to your 505 since the K2 hasn't got (never will) ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think you'll be going back to your 505 since the K2 hasn't got (never will) ePub.
While I'd like to see Amazon add ePub support it's not a huge deal at this point and time IMO. Besides mobi books look better on the Kindle than epub books look on the Sony IMO (and ePub is easy to convert to mobi ).
Old 10-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
While I'd like to see Amazon add ePub support it's not a huge deal at this point and time IMO. Besides mobi books look better on the Kindle than epub books look on the Sony IMO (and ePub is easy to convert to mobi ).
This is true. ePub is easy to convert to Mobipocket. But, I have to disagree about Mobipocket looking better then ePub. Once I've sorted out an ePub (added fonts, fixed the font sizes, fixed the margins, removed excess paragraph spaces), it looks very nice to me. On a Kindle, can I choose the font I want? Can I set the margins?
Old 10-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

I said mobi looks better on the Kindle than epub on the 505 (In My Opinion), not that epub didn't couldn't look better. I don't like the way the Sony's justification has looked on most epub books I've read on it. Now if we're talking epub on the Opus that's different.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I said mobi looks better on the Kindle than epub on the 505 (In My Opinion), not that epub didn't couldn't look better. I don't like the way the Sony's justification has looked on most epub books I've read on it. Now if we're talking epub on the Opus that's different.
I don't like the default fonts used by the Kindle or ADE. But with ePub and ADE, I can change that easily. Can you easily change the default font on the Kindle?
Old 10-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Yes, the Kindle font hack I have installed took all of 30 seconds.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've been using both a bit today, converting the current book I'm reading to mobi and have switched between the just to get a feel.

I'm liking them both, but as you say I will keep pushing for epub support from Amazon. We can always hope, but at least at this point I have both options.