Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
DaveC
DaveC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sony EBook Store-Cannot login to account

Hi. I wish my first post here was a happier one.

For the last couple of days, every time I try to login to my account it just comes up with a message saying, Oops, the page you have requested is unavailable. When I click for help it takes me to an FAQ page with two answers. One is about having trouble purchasing books and the other is about transferring books to the reader. Neither are applicable as I cannot even login in the first place. Also if I try to login from the wishlist or shopping cart areas then the store and ebook library software just locks up and I have to ctrl-alt-del to get out of it.

I have only had my ebook reader and and Sony account for a couple of weeks but all was going fine. I purchased a couple of gift cards online, (I am from Australia), and had managed to credit them to my account and purchased a couple of books. All was going smoothly until this happened.

OK, I am from overseas and I obviously don't have a credit card against my account, just gift certificate credit. Lots of others seem to be doing this without a problem though and it was working. My email address isn't Australian as my provider doesn't require a .au on the end so this shouldn't be a give away. Since it started happening I have downloaded and installed the new version of software, (V3) and I even changed my password using the "lost password" proceedure. Neither thing made any difference.

The Sony help centre is U.S based and they want your adress, ph no. etc so I am reluctant to use it.

If anyone can shed any light on this I would be extremely gratefull.

Great forum and contributions by the way. Hopefully I can get past this hurdle and start contributing in a more positive way.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Are you on a wireless internet connection by any chance? I had this happen when I had a poor connection. I could browse but I couldn't log in.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
DaveC

Hi

Sort of. I have cable broadband but then a wireless modem link to my PC. But signal strength is excellent and everything else works fine.

Though, as you have described, I can access the store and browse to my hearts content, just not login.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I will try using a cable to my computer just to be 100% sure.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Give it a shot, it's worth trying. I know that some other members were having this issue also right after they added antivirus software, but I can't remember the outcome. I would do a forum search for "can't login" or "log in" and browse the threads, there's been quite a few.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure if you've seen the following thread, but it may give you a few clues, or ideas to try.

Can't login onto Sony Ebookstore
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 02:42 AM   #6
DaveC

Thanks for these suggestions. I had actually looked at these threads already, (I do try to help myself first).
So basically I have followed the suggested un-install and re-install proceedure, disabled my firewall temporarily and turned off my anti-virus software. None of this made any difference.
Looks like I have lost the $ 47 balance on my gift credit and that the Sony PRS-505 will end up at the bottom of a drawer somewhere as a failed experiment.
We really aren't supposed to have these devices in Australia so I suppose I shouldn't be suprised at this outcome.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Looks like I have lost the $ 47 balance on my gift credit and that the Sony PRS-505 will end up at the bottom of a drawer somewhere as a failed experiment.
We really aren't supposed to have these devices in Australia so I suppose I shouldn't be suprised at this outcome.
Don't put your Sony in a drawer. You can get books from other sources. There are many, many free books available here at MR in the lrf and epub formats used by the Sony. You can also download DRM free books in other formats and Calibre can convert to lrf or epub. Calibre does a wonderful job converting .lit files in just a minute and I will buy .lit even if an .lrf file is available because I can customize the font size. The Sony also reads .pdf. I've never been able to convert them well but there are threads in the forums where people have done it if you want to invest the time. You can read a PDF directly, the text just doesn't flow very well usually.

I'm in the US and the only time I use the Sony store is to get the freebie's that have been posted here on MR. I use Calibre exclusively to load books to my 505.

As far as your credit at the Sony store, try to login on another computer (maybe at work) or ask a friend to try on their computer. If you have a friend in the US ask them to try to login to your account and if successful they could email the books to you until this credit is used up.

Once you get going you will LOVE your Sony. Don't let this problem discourage you.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:39 AM   #8
DaveC

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I have just installed the Sony software on another computer and still get the same result when I try to access my account. I have to conclude that it is an account problem and not a computer problem.

However I have just successfully purchased a book from Books on Board using my Aussie Credit Card, address and phone number. I have tried this in the past without success. Does anyone from Australia use this website and if so do you know why it sometimes works or doesn't work? Does it depend on the actual book? This one was the latest Jack Reacher Novel, (yes I know I should be reading the classics and other more high brow literature).

By the way, this latest book is the first one I have downloaded in EPUB format. I actually prefer the look to the ones I previously downloaded from the Sony Store in their format. I accidentally purchased another book in Adobe PDF Digital Editions format and it was hopeless. All of the words just followed after each other without starting on new lines when they should have. Just some observations from a total Newbie. I'm sure that all of you EBOOK veterans know the technical reasons behind all of this.

So, I am enthused again and I will just chalk up this unpleasant Sony Ebook Store chapter, (no pun intended), to experience.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
fabiano
fabiano began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 300 SONY
Unhappy cannot login either

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Hi. I wish my first post here was a happier one.

For the last couple of days, every time I try to login to my account it just comes up with a message saying, Oops, the page you have requested is unavailable. When I click for help it takes me to an FAQ page with two answers. One is about having trouble purchasing books and the other is about transferring books to the reader. Neither are applicable as I cannot even login in the first place. Also if I try to login from the wishlist or shopping cart areas then the store and ebook library software just locks up and I have to ctrl-alt-del to get out of it.

I have only had my ebook reader and and Sony account for a couple of weeks but all was going fine. I purchased a couple of gift cards online, (I am from Australia), and had managed to credit them to my account and purchased a couple of books. All was going smoothly until this happened.

OK, I am from overseas and I obviously don't have a credit card against my account, just gift certificate credit. Lots of others seem to be doing this without a problem though and it was working. My email address isn't Australian as my provider doesn't require a .au on the end so this shouldn't be a give away. Since it started happening I have downloaded and installed the new version of software, (V3) and I even changed my password using the "lost password" proceedure. Neither thing made any difference.

The Sony help centre is U.S based and they want your adress, ph no. etc so I am reluctant to use it.

If anyone can shed any light on this I would be extremely gratefull.

Great forum and contributions by the way. Hopefully I can get past this hurdle and start contributing in a more positive way.

Same for me !!! Nothing to do. Try everything. Simple block me and CRTL+ALT+DEL to get out. Sony just pick our credits from gift cards and no messages at all. DONT BUY SONY READER
fabiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Well, as an experiment, I just logged into the Sony Store. I found a freebie (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of Sith) and downloaded it without any problems.

I'm in Australia, using Win XP Pro SP2 on my four year old desktop with ADSL2 via my phone line. I'm using Sony eBook Library Version 2.200.18100
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:29 PM   #11
DaveC

I sympathize fabiano. Don't waste your time with the chat room help that Sony offer though. They just referred me to some useless help page links that I already knew didn't help. I'm sure that the problem is at their end not mine but they wouldn't even look at my account or send me an email response. They said that I had to ring the call centre in the U.S to get further help. Not really an option for me I am afraid.

RCR, that’s great that you can still access your account. As I have said, I cannot even sign in so it has nothing to do with the ordering process. My problem began after I applied the credit and started using it to order, (2 books successfully).

What really pisses me off is that Sony doesn’t even care enough to give you an error message that actually means anything. Surely that’s not hard or a lot to ask. What help is "Oops that page is currently unavailable", to anyone?

For what it is worth I can recommend Books on Board. They let me download just about all of their books, the majority of titles are available in EPUB format, the pricing is comparable to the Sony Store and I don't have to pretend and play games when using them.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #12
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
You might look at this thread. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54617 Since you are not in the states, did you choose one of the other countries when you installed? That seems to cause problems with the store. Hope your answer might be in there.
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:15 AM   #13
DaveC

Hi Randall

I have always had it set to U.S.

Australia is not one of the options so if I am going to choose a false country then it might as well be the U.S which has the best store. I'm sure that that is what RCR and other Australians are doing and it seems to be working for them, (as it did initially for me).