Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #46
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Actually, only PDFs with large (or perhaps any?) pictures would impact the page-turn speed.

Proper text-based PDFs for people who "must" have books that don't look like they're made by grade-schoolers have no discernable delay between page-turns when compared with any of the reflow formats.

- Ahi
I have text-only PDFs that have 2-3 second turns between reflowed pages, and 4-6 seconds between pages that are page breaks in the original.

I grant that they're atrociously made. Produced by Mac Quartz, whatever that is; A4 size pages with 1" margins, font that claims to be 12 pt Times, but shows as sans serif; double-spaced text with an extra return between paragraphs. I'm slowly working on converting them to something more readable, because I really want to read them and they're currently awful.

I've run into others with long page turning times; it's not pictures, it's something about how the PDF was made. I think I've run across one or two freebies from publishers that had those problems (but nothing as bad as the homemade text ones).

My biggest problem with pushing for PDFs as a good ebook format, is that so many people, including pro publishers, think that all PDFs are the same, and if you've pushed the "make PDF" button on whatever program you're using, the result will be a good (i.e. readable, enjoyable) ebook.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #47
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I have text-only PDFs that have 2-3 second turns between reflowed pages, and 4-6 seconds between pages that are page breaks in the original.

I grant that they're atrociously made. Produced by Mac Quartz, whatever that is; A4 size pages with 1" margins, font that claims to be 12 pt Times, but shows as sans serif; double-spaced text with an extra return between paragraphs. I'm slowly working on converting them to something more readable, because I really want to read them and they're currently awful.

I've run into others with long page turning times; it's not pictures, it's something about how the PDF was made. I think I've run across one or two freebies from publishers that had those problems (but nothing as bad as the homemade text ones).

My biggest problem with pushing for PDFs as a good ebook format, is that so many people, including pro publishers, think that all PDFs are the same, and if you've pushed the "make PDF" button on whatever program you're using, the result will be a good (i.e. readable, enjoyable) ebook.
Might the generator program have done something crazy like using blank/white images as spacers in the output?

If you have any non-copyright PDFs like that, I'd be interesting in checking one out more closely.

Regarding PDFs as eBook formats. Yes. Most PDFs are made by nincompoops that should not be allowed near a computer. But then, personally, I don't find most reflow format books of significantly higher quality either.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert