Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #31
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I'm easily distracted and the page flash is distracting. It detracts from becoming deeply immersed in my reading.
Doesn't turning a paper page and changing the focus from right page to left page distract you even more? It does me.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #32
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Maybe we should open a poll ...

"What's more distracting to you: eInk page flashing or pBook page turning?"
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #33
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Paper page turning is less distracting as people have been doing it their whole lives and are used to it.

And it's not as visually jarring as the flash IMO.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #34
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Paper page turning is less distracting as people have been doing it their whole lives and are used to it.

And it's not as visually jarring as the flash IMO.
And it is very much faster than eInk page turning.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #35
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
And it is very much faster than eInk page turning.
I'd say it's about the same for turning one page.

But it's MUCH faster to flip back through several pages, or flip through a book to find a chapter etc.
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #36
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The first time I saw eInk in action was about six weeks ago when I saw a YouTube video of the new txtr. I didn't notice the flash.

Two weeks later I was tipped to come here, and I read many posts about the flash.

So I went back to YouTube and saw the txtr video again, and noticed for the first time the flash that many posters had described.

If you guys hadn't pointed it out, I think that I would be blissfully ignorant!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #37
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I'd say it's about the same for turning one page.

But it's MUCH faster to flip back through several pages, or flip through a book to find a chapter etc.
No way it takes 1-2 seconds. I did some empirical observations before posting the claim and it is near instantaneous for a pocket book. Notice that you put your hands in the correct position for turning before reaching the end of the page.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #38
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
No way it takes 1-2 seconds. I did some empirical observations before posting the claim and it is near instantaneous for a pocket book. Notice that you put your hands in the correct position for turning before reaching the end of the page.
People would then say "well you can push the button when you reach the last line LOL".

I don't see how the two can compare. One gives you instant visual and tactile response while requiring more muscle movement, while the other requires less physical effort and is significantly slower. If I lose my arms and need to use my chin to turn pages, the ebook reader is much less of a workout.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #39
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Doesn't turning a paper page and changing the focus from right page to left page distract you even more? It does me.
What can I say? No, it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
If you guys hadn't pointed it out, I think that I would be blissfully ignorant!
Just wait until you see the blurry, vibrating lettering and the weird, intense rainbow effects (Shh, don't tell him I'm making this up. Let's see how suggestive he is. )

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #40
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
People would then say "well you can push the button when you reach the last line LOL".

I don't see how the two can compare. One gives you instant visual and tactile response while requiring more muscle movement, while the other requires less physical effort and is significantly slower. If I lose my arms and need to use my chin to turn pages, the ebook reader is much less of a workout.
To the first, yeah, it's about the same. Page flip is probably a little faster---but I also don't see 1-2 second delays on my K1. Maybe 1 second tops, likely a bit under.

Honestly, neither page turns or the flash bothers me. E-readers just suck for something you need to flip through like a text book, scholarly article, technical manual etc. since all those delays add up when flipping through a bunch of pages or dealing with the slow loading table of contents etc. to jump around.

For regular reading? The page flash doesn't bother me, I just hit it when I'm half through the last line.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #41
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
No, because I've been doing it for sixty years and I'm used to it.

Actually having to remember to push a button is more distracting than turning a page, then when I get this blank-all black-blank-letters fading in for a half a second or so; well, it's distracting!

I have both a Sony PRS-505 and a jetBook. The jetBook does none of that, and turns the page in one or two hundred milliseconds, the Sony does all of that and turns the page in five to seven hundred milliseconds. The jetBook's 5" screen is at least as easy for my ancient eyeballs to read in normal lighting as the Sony's 6" screen (I think a little easier, but that's a subjective call).

The only time I've even turned the Sony on since getting the jetBook has been to compare the screens.

If the truth be known, I read my Nokia N800 more than anything, but that's because it fits in my pocket better and I find it more convenient to carry around. When I'm at home I read the jetBook, and since the Nokia and the jetBook both have text search capability it's easy to keep them in sync. The Sony does not have text search, and the page numbering is not consistent so keeping them in sync is a hassle.

Oh yeah, the Nokia doesn't do the flashy thing either!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #42
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:

Actually having to remember to push a button is more distracting than turning a page, then when I get this blank-all black-blank-letters fading in for a half a second or so; well, it's distracting!
It took me probably reading one whole book on my K1 to get used to pressing buttons and the flash. Now I don't notice it and it doesn't distract me at all.

But to each their own. Everyone should read on what works for them and what doesn't distract them.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #43
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
after a while you don't even notice it anymore. Of course, current e-readers suck for flipping through documents --- but for those I use my computer, anyway. For straight forward reading they are pretty good now, except for PDF with pictures or for those people who "must" have full text justification.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #44
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Quote:
Ah, so it's mainly a question of getting used to it

Actually, one of the reasons turning a paper page might be not so distracting is because you don't stare at the turning page, but somehow give a rest to your eyes and focus them on something else than the page (even if it's on your hand). A quick solution is close your eyes or look to somewhere else when the page flashes on an ebook reader. Anyway, the Cybook lets you disable the flashing.

Leaving aside the fact that, indeed, it's possible to turn a paper page almost instantaneously, but I don't usually do that (much less when reading on my side in bed, where I have to change the balance of the book at every page change).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #45
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
after a while you don't even notice it anymore. Of course, current e-readers suck for flipping through documents --- but for those I use my computer, anyway. For straight forward reading they are pretty good now, except for PDF with pictures or for those people who "must" have full text justification.
Actually, only PDFs with large (or perhaps any?) pictures would impact the page-turn speed.

Proper text-based PDFs for people who "must" have books that don't look like they're made by grade-schoolers have no discernable delay between page-turns when compared with any of the reflow formats.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote