Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
[threadjack]
Have you seen the check?

[/threadjack]
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #17
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampalini View Post
...you're right dear igorsk...that was just my speculation....but even with the dictionary i think this policy is highly unfair for europeans...and i do not think it's something connected with VAT issues (at least the price will be not the 1$=1€...but something different...)...and I saw that in the u.k is not 1$=1£...waterstone sell the 600 at £249.99....so I really would like to know what's their game!
Some of the price difference will be down to vat, but even if you overestimate it to 20% then you are still looking at another 20% of the pricing that is mostly profiteering on sony's part.

As far as the uk price, it will have been set by sony europe just like the euro price as give or take a bit of variation in the exchange rate it is the same price there as it is in europe.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 03:10 AM   #18
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
The problem is not just with Sony- it's with the pricing about every electronic item. While with UK there's sometimes some difference, with the US we got stuck at this really mocking rip-off of a change.

These days OS X gets a new version, and for mixed questions I have to buy the full version (the "Mac Box") and I feel this pain quite sharply even on that side :/
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:29 AM   #19
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
In all fairness, I can think of a few reasons for the generally higher prices of electronics in Europe, in addition to VAT. The market is a bit more splintered, with possibly higher distribution costs, marketing costs, compliance costs, additional duties, etc..

Often, the US market is more transparent (freer.., get it :-), so the costs of sale may be lower, and the competition pressures greater.

Notably, in the US Sony has to compete with Amazon. I am also curious, how many units does Sony expect to sell in Europe, and how many in the US? Which may also play a role in pricing.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:52 AM   #20
keith_mahoney
keith_mahoney began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 on pre-order; Cancelled. Got a 505, charger and case 4 less $
Ask any American working in Europe and getting paid in dollars. EVERYTHING in Europe goes for the same Euro to dollar (except fuel). Soda, bottles of water, movie tickets, dinner, a sandwich, beer, bikes. It doesn't matter. If it cost 5$ in the States it cost 5 euro here.
I have learned to ignore the conversion rate when purchasing things on the local economy in order to save myself the stress of knowing what it is doing to my bank account, like the 3100 euro mountain bike I bought a couple months ago.
keith_mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #21
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Notably, in the US Sony has to compete with Amazon. I am also curious, how many units does Sony expect to sell in Europe, and how many in the US? Which may also play a role in pricing.
While the competition would tend to keep pricing tighter in the states, you would think the potential for competition in europe and the current chance they have to build a massive lead before amazon enter the market would cause them to price things better there too or at least price the 300 better since thats the one they will be using to attract new customers the most you would think.

Looking at their pricing of the new models compared with other shops in the uk or europe, it does seem like whsmith in the uk are more willing to use price to drive sales than sony themselves are.

Last edited by Crowl; 08-28-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #22
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_mahoney View Post
..., like the 3100 euro mountain bike I bought a couple months ago.
I am certain, we all feel your pain, and our hearts bleed for you....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote