Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 03:55 AM   #1
Scullion
Scullion is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505
Boswell, James: Life of Samuel Johnson. V.1.1 Aug 27 2009-08-25

I have made considerable format changes from the original In order to make the old fashioned layout easier to read, but none of the original text has been changed (As far as I am aware), and the archaic spelling has been left as it was.
I have attempted to find translations of those Latin quotes the understanding of which is vital to the meaning of the passage; any corrections and additions to these will be received with thanks.
A No Footers file is available.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Boswells Life of Johnson.lrf (716.0 KB, 476 views)
File Type: lrf Boswells Life of Johnson - No Footers.lrf (708.0 KB, 374 views)

Last edited by Scullion; 08-27-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Scullion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:47 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A few comments:

1. A number of the chapter headings have not become new chapters - eg those for 1744 and 1747.

2. Currency amounts are written, for example, as "13,000 l." They would be much more understandable if correctly written as "£13,000".

3. Some of the Latin translations are very "dodgy" indeed! Eg, you've translated:

"Respicere exemplar vitae morumque jubebo"

as:

"look closely into life and manners, and learn to express them with truth."

That's a pretty "free" translation. A correct translation would be more like:

"I will endeavour to look for an example of life and manner"

Latin is my "thing", by the way. If you want any help with any more of it, please don't hesitate to ask.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
Scullion
Scullion is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505
Thanks for pointing out those missing chapters, Harry; I have corrected that - I hope (done in a bit of a hurry), and changed the pound sign as you suggest. I did consider it earlier but I was unwilling to start on changing the actual text as I had changed so much else and I wanted to maintain the feel of the period as much as possible while making it readable.
Please let me know when you find other errors, I am most grateful

So, Latin is your thing, that IS good because it is not mine and I only get there through Italian. All the Latin translations I put in were dredged off the internet and nearly drove me mad as the Latin seems to translate into so many different ways. Please feel free to suggest translations for any you feel are wrong or could be improved.
Scullion is offline   Reply With Quote