Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 05:32 AM   #31
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
We've made a Youtube video about the ECO Reader. Please take a look at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DAInfoServ

The AU/NZ USB wall charger (value $20) and earphones are definitely included in the ECO Reader package @ A$449, although they're not listed on the video.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:39 AM   #32
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur
Alan Baxter doesn't litterAlan Baxter doesn't litter

Device: Laptop for now, iPhone soon.
Likewise. And the fact that you will sell non-DRM material is excellent news.
Alan Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 05:52 AM   #33
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Sorry, Alan, we're not planning to sell non-DRM ebooks... our new ebook store is based on OverDrive and we're selling Adobe DE (ePub and PDF) ebooks.

We're not selling Mobipocket ebooks at our new store initially - we'll see how we go and I expect we'll add them a bit later.

We've been selling ebooks (all different formats) through our website for a long time, but they're primarily academic, not fiction.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:13 AM   #34
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
For those lucky people who've pre-ordered an ECO Reader, they're on the way! Aust orders are all being despatched from Melbourne this afternoon (Thursday) and NZ orders leave here tomorrow. NZ users, please allow a couple of extra days to clear customs. We have plenty of ECO Readers left in stock and we're processing orders quickly.
Great. It's possible, though not likely, that mine will get to Launceston tomorrow. Should be here by Monday or Tuesday. Are you using Australia Post or a courier?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:19 AM   #35
cbell
Frenetic

Hi Alex, yours left today via Aust Post registered mail. Delivery to Tas on Monday or Tuesday sounds reasonable. It'd be good if you had it for this weekend, but it isn't likely.
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 06:26 AM   #36
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

But if you say it's down to the publisher whether there's DRM or not, then will you not support publishers that don't support DRM? For example, I'm a publisher too. None of my ebooks have DRM - will your shop never support our products?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:46 AM   #37
cbell
Frenetic

You are a wordsmith, Alan

The larger publishers of popular fiction titles require DRM. I don't know if we will be offering ebooks by indie authors, however it's something I would like to do, down the track.

Australian and New Zealand authors have a lot to offer and the ebook industry here is changing and growing rapidly.

By the way, DA Direct already sells many thousands of ebooks that don't have DRM, but they're academic collections.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #38
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
If your store has a decent range with decent prices, I will definitely become a customer.

Basically, you need to give us (the customer) a reason to shop at your store instead of the likes of BooksOnBoard, Fictionwise, etc. If a person can buy the same eBook elsewhere at a fraction of your price (taking into account exchange rate), I doubt many would be buying from you. Heck, I wouldn't even mind paying a dollar or two extra in some cases to support AU/NZ based publishers.

IMHO, the prices New Zealanders get charged for books over here is disgusting, and I suspect this is the case for Australians as well.

A (hardback) example - I was looking at buying David Weber's new book "By Heresies Distressed", but one look at the whitcoulls price means I will wait my turn at the Library. They want 60 NZD thank you very much, despite the fact that the US list price is 28 USD (41.40 NZD at today's exchange rate) and most stores seem to be selling it for around 18 USD.
It is definitely the case here, too - if 60 is your hardback price in NZ you are getting a better deal than us by a bit, as that would likely be 55 here, and given the AU is what, 1.25 NZ then that hardback is cheaper there.

Either way, though, if they start selling ebooks for $50 or $60 - fiction especially it 1) won't take too long to count sales and 2) will be met with howls of derision.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 AM   #39
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
You are a wordsmith, Alan
I have a black belt in semantics.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:17 AM   #40
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Well, have hit the buy button for the Eco reader to replace my youngest child's ill fated Cybook. When she broke the second screen (she tells me she was reading when our staffy jumped on her bed and head butted the reader, well it could be possible, Tilly is a pretty hard headed elephant of a dog with more strength than brains) , I decided she needed something a little more robust and she has been using her sister's BeBook without incident for the pat several weeks.

Looking forward to the launch of the new bookstore in a few days time especially if we can start to see some Aussie content become available on the E-market.

Karen
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:43 AM   #41
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
Looking forward to the launch of the new bookstore in a few days time especially if we can start to see some Aussie content become available on the E-market.

Karen
Mine arrived today - pre-ordered from DA Information services - and I'm very happy with it. It certainly seems more sturdy than my Cybook and is certainly heavier. And I love the folders.

I'll do a review as soon as I can.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #42
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Mine arrived today - pre-ordered from DA Information services - and I'm very happy with it. It certainly seems more sturdy than my Cybook and is certainly heavier. And I love the folders.

I'll do a review as soon as I can.

Regards, Alex
I am glad to hear you are pleased with your purchase Alex. I have had a BEbook for about a year now and it is a very robust unit. I was not prepared to have the Cybook repaired a second time. I have had many incidents where Tilly (my rather boof headed Staffy) has barreled into me or my Bebook when I have been reading and created no damage. My Iliad required a rather harsh foot planting on the screen to break it and I am really not sure what it would take to break the Bebook or similar, but I suspect quite a lot. Mine has been thrown on my bed, missed and landed on the wooden floor a couple of times and survived. It travels in my handbag whcih is not treated terribly gently yet it has survived very nicely.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #43
cbell
Frenetic

We have a Staffy, too (Zelie). She's big and sweet-natured, but she's clumsy and so stubborn.

Sianon, I see your online order, thank you! We have ECO Readers in stock, so it'll be on its way to you shortly.

Alex and Sianon, I look forward to both your reviews!

Tags
australia, da direct, eco reader, new zealand