Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #61
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I agree with the usual consensus. It's very strange that Sony would stop stocking the 505s and 700s without having something to immediately take their place.

This would mean that production of the 505s and 700s would have had to stop weeks ago, and surely we'd have heard something about that long before the discontinuation rumor via actual customers.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #62
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I have a vague recollection that just before the 505 was released, there was a sudden lack of 500's available for purchase and nothing but a few rumors that a new model was perhaps coming. Do I have that right?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #63
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I have a vague recollection that just before the 505 was released, there was a sudden lack of 500's available for purchase and nothing but a few rumors that a new model was perhaps coming. Do I have that right?

This was also a time when the 500s were offered for $99 from a third party. I picked one up, but eventually sold both to someone after having purchased my beloved 505 at Borders in Cincinnati.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #64
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I checked. In this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13465 someone noticed a lack of available 500's and there was lots of speculation for the reason including lack of available displays caused by brisk sales, a new device coming out, and Sony exiting the business. Less than a week later, the 505 was announced by Sony.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #65
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
With all the new Adobe DE devices coming out it looks like Sony does not like the competition and will not upgrade the firmware to match these newer devices.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given the fact that Sony are not using the standard Adobe SDK, as all the other manufacurers are, it would probably be very expensive for them to make firmware updates to add the capabilities which other devices now have.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #67
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given the fact that Sony are not using the standard Adobe SDK, as all the other manufacurers are, it would probably be very expensive for them to make firmware updates to add the capabilities which other devices now have.
It's a joke, right?

Sony is using the Adobe SDK. Actually, they had Adobe develop the PDF and EPUB support for them.

Which "other devices" have more capabilities in Adobe formats (PDF, EPUB) than Sony Reader? Amazon's PDF support is a joke, and I am not sure which other eInk devices have search, notes, fast paging capabilities of the PRS-700. I can't think of any.

The PDF and EPUB support in the Sony Reader is not all great, but to the best of my knowledge it's better than that in any other eInk device.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
It's a joke, right?

Sony is using the Adobe SDK.
No, they aren't. The Sony ADE support predates the portable SDK. The Sony uses an Adobe "rendering engine", yes, but it was not developed using the portable SDK.

Perhaps you find humour in this, but I regret to say that it eludes me.

Quote:
Which "other devices" have more capabilities in Adobe formats (PDF, EPUB) than Sony Reader?
A number of other manufacturers have either released, or are about to release, machines with Adobe SDK ADE support. These will all be considerably more capable than the Sony. In particular, the 300k "flow limit" which cripples the Sony appears to have gone, and ePub books will be displayed with full justification.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #69
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
I hope its not amateur hour over there at Sony again. I'd love to read a book on their fall from grace I wonder if anyone has done one.
I can't imagine that they will be exiting the eBook business but why would you discontinue sales of a device before you announce a new one or with no announcement on what you are doing? Awful communications structure. They did end up dropping their UMPC, I believe, so there is a chance that they are trimming the fat and cutting unprofitable non essential divisions.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #70
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
I can't imagine that they will be exiting the eBook business but why would you discontinue sales of a device before you announce a new one or with no announcement on what you are doing?
How about because you stopped making them because you wanted to start making the new ones, and then you wanted to sell all of the old models you had left before bringing out the new one?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #71
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
I hope its not amateur hour over there at Sony again.... why would you discontinue sales of a device before you announce a new one or with no announcement on what you are doing?
Again they haven't completely dropped the product line, it's just a few colors out of stock.

Seems to me that new device or not, they just misjudged some inventory levels. Happens all the time, especially now that we are in the era of JIT manufacturing. Heck, how long were there Nintendo Wii shortages? 2 years?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #72
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A number of other manufacturers have either released, or are about to release, machines with Adobe SDK ADE support. These will all be considerably more capable than the Sony. In particular, the 300k "flow limit" which cripples the Sony appears to have gone, and ePub books will be displayed with full justification.
Harry, how can the consumer tell the difference in ADE support without actually buying a device. For example, assuming that BeBook or Astak uses the more capable ADE support, what would tip me to that as a consumer?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #73
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Harry, how can the consumer tell the difference in ADE support without actually buying a device. For example, assuming that BeBook or Astak uses the more capable ADE support, what would tip me to that as a consumer?
I think ADE is required for PDF DRM. If a device said that was a supported format, then it's got ADE. If the device only supports non-DRM PDF, then it may be based on something else.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #74
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
I was just checking something at Books on Board, and I see they're advertising the 700 now for $349. Must be a clearance sale.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #75
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I can only hope that the proud PRS505 parents are preparing to give birth to a bouncing baby blue PRS 510 rather than the bean counter accountants preparing to did the grave for a much loved PRS505
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote