Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #31
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Assuming that they ARE going to release updated products/versions...

If they are going to update their versions with the same kind of connection that the Kindle has, then discontinue the NON-connected versions, what if you want to have control over your unit?

If this is the way that Sony is deciding to head, I feel sorry for those who will be unable to purchase a 505 that doesn't call home.

Again, this is only going on assumptions that I've read here. But it looks to me as this is where Sony might decide to head. If I've mis-read something, please correct me.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #32
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I can't imagine Sony is exiting the e-book market, especially in this manner. They've either had a minor supply problem, or are just prepping for new models.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #33
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Assuming that they ARE going to release updated products/versions...

If they are going to update their versions with the same kind of connection that the Kindle has, then discontinue the NON-connected versions, what if you want to have control over your unit?

If this is the way that Sony is deciding to head, I feel sorry for those who will be unable to purchase a 505 that doesn't call home.

Again, this is only going on assumptions that I've read here. But it looks to me as this is where Sony might decide to head. If I've mis-read something, please correct me.
I doubt they would require you to use the wireless to load content and such. Amazon doesn't. I would imagine you could turn off the wireless and just load content through USB as you always have done.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:51 PM   #34
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
New models are coming. Sony still considers their ebook devices a success.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #35
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's like the old adage "Keeping up with the Jones's".

Just because they have a new car doesn't mean we have to buy one.

Picture Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Clark Griswold kept putting more crap and more crap on his house to one-up his neighbor. Soon, I can foresee the newest e-readers with every possible conceived option. And you know what? It will no longer be an e-book reader. It'll be everything BUT.

What if you just want a simple Sony Reader that does nothing but read ebooks. You don't want to pay for wifi, nor for net-access, or auto-downloading books, inter-connected with your PS-3 and able to surf the web to check your mail.

Yet, if you want to purchase a new Sony Reader, you will be paying for the R&D used to develop those functions because that will be all that they offer. No more simple devices.

I know, I stretched it a bit with the PS-3 thing, but who knows what the future tech will bring? Link it with your PS3 and read on your 56" plasma screen.
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #36
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
What if you just want a simple Sony Reader that does nothing but read ebooks. You don't want to pay for wifi, nor for net-access, or auto-downloading books, inter-connected with your PS-3 and able to surf the web to check your mail.
Then turn off the wifi and keep reading. I see little reason why the "new 505" will cost more than the old one, so who cares how Sony spends its R&D?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #37
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

oh, come on. at least let me gripe about something. it makes me feel superior.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #38
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
It's like the old adage "Keeping up with the Jones's".

Just because they have a new car doesn't mean we have to buy one.

Picture Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Clark Griswold kept putting more crap and more crap on his house to one-up his neighbor. Soon, I can foresee the newest e-readers with every possible conceived option. And you know what? It will no longer be an e-book reader. It'll be everything BUT.

Yet, if you want to purchase a new Sony Reader, you will be paying for the R&D used to develop those functions because that will be all that they offer. No more simple devices.

I know, I stretched it a bit with the PS-3 thing, but who knows what the future tech will bring? Link it with your PS3 and read on your 56" plasma screen.
Old technology has generally had to make way for new technology. Thankfully we don't have to carry around those huge mobile phones that first came out (think, "Night at the Roxburry" ). That's just the nature of the beast. We've been buying movies for years and have a large collection of VHS tapes that still work. The problem is, once our old VHS player stops working, we won't be able to buy a new one because they aren't manufacturing them anymore. The companies that used to make them consider VHS dead. The same thing happened with my brothers 8-track tape player. For better or worse, new advancements in technology mean new gadgets, usually at a higher initial price. Of couse, I'm a gadget freak, so I like the new stuff.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #39
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Old technology has generally had to make way for new technology. Thankfully we don't have to carry around those huge mobile phones that first came out (think, "Night at the Roxburry" ). That's just the nature of the beast. We've been buying movies for years and have a large collection of VHS tapes that still work. The problem is, once our old VHS player stops working, we won't be able to buy a new one because they aren't manufacturing them anymore. The companies that used to make them consider VHS dead. The same thing happened with my brothers 8-track tape player. For better or worse, new advancements in technology mean new gadgets, usually at a higher initial price. Of couse, I'm a gadget freak, so I like the new stuff.
They might not manufacture them anymore, but that was only recently. If you still have VCR tapes (and my brO-in-law likes the audio of analog tapes more than digital), buy some now and put them in storage.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #40
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
They might not manufacture them anymore, but that was only recently. If you still have VCR tapes (and my brO-in-law likes the audio of analog tapes more than digital), buy some now and put them in storage.
You missed the important part of my post. I LIKE the new stuff! I've been systematically buying DVD copies of many of our favorite movies when they fall below $10. Don't tell my husband, though! He has no idea what I'm doing. He's still trying to copy the old VHS tapes to his computer and grumbling about the DRM on them. By the time he FINALLY realizes nothing can be done, legally, I'll have replaced all of them with DVD's. Then a newer storage medium (no, not Blu-Ray) will hit the market and I'll have to start all over again. Such is life!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #41
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

I prefer hooking a PC to my tv and playing avis
Old 07-23-2009, 10:25 PM   #42
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I was reading Engadget and followed a link from there to http://blog.laptopmag.com/sony-promi...support-coming

The blogger did an interview with the senior vice president of Sony’s InformationTechnology Products Division. Not sure when the interview took place but the blog was posted today. Here's a quote from it.

"Is there any similar collaboration going on with the Sony Reader team?
There was a reorganization that occurred at Sony where PlayStation, VAIO, Walkman, and Reader came under the same electronics group. As such, with those categories being put together under one umbrella we need to collaborate. I also see a better integration of Reader with VAIO products."

Doesn't mention the discontinuation of the reader and instead mentions more integration with their other products. Unless that's Sony's round about way of saying, instead of now reading your ebooks on a reader, you can now only read them on their laptops/netbooks.

If sony is updating their line of readers, I think they planned it poorly by discontinuing the current models w/o the new replacements yet, especially since Amazon recently dropped the price of the K2. Impulse buyers are probably picking up Kindle's instead of mulling over a Sony.

Last edited by MerLock; 07-23-2009 at 10:29 PM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #43
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
I also see a better integration of Reader with VAIO products."
I'm still trying to figure out what this means...

"Sony Reader" becomes "VAIO Reader"?

eInk is replaced by a VAIO netbook?

How do they integrate a PC/laptop line with the Reader??
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:05 AM   #44
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Odd that they would stop selling before new is announced.

And it kinda sucks too. I just got a blue 505 last night, and I was showing it off to some coworkers today, who said it was perfect for his wife, and he was going to buy it from the sony store since he has a Sony card he gets points on.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:14 AM   #45
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
They are still for sale online at sonystyle
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote