Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-09-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Wired (or someone) altered this EZReader picture

So I was checking out Gideon's reference to the Wired review of Cooler and thought I would see what they had to say about the "native son" of RobertB -- EZReader.

I was looking at the image, and though the article specifically states there is no wireless connectivity, if you look at the top status bar, it sure looks a lot like the Kindle status bar where you have the vertical bars to represent wireless signal strength and a battery to show the charge... Even the bottom looks identical to the Kindle's status line. It is like they superimpopsed a Kindle "page" into an EZReader.

Does the EZReader really have that? If so, why? and If not, why put that into the image?

http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_astak_ez_reader

Last edited by Nate the great; 07-09-2009 at 11:07 AM.
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:45 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The body looks right, but the screen part of the picture is definitely from a Kindle 2. See the attached publicity shot of the K2. For one thing, only the Kindle has "locations", and the screen layout is exactly as on a Kindle 2. The 2nd image is a scan of an EZ Reader on a FB2 ebook (i.e. using CoolReader) which is closest to the K2 layout, but not very close.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle2_05.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	31898   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZR_FB2_Lh.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	31899  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It seems that several of the EInk Readers photographed at Wired have the Kindle 2 screen. The worst offender is the DR1000S, since it is photoshopping a 6" screen onto a 10.2" screen.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:38 AM   #4
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur
DanielCoffey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
It is almost worth dropping a note to the Amazon lawyers. It is also misrepresentation of the quality of the screen too.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so. It kind of makes you wonder WHY they are doing it... to make the device more "photogenic?" Frankly, I look at the pictures very closely on devices like this to see if it is what I would want and I would be kind of ticked off if after reading a review, the device that I got (and the resulting "screen" interface were significantly different -- particularly since I put more weight theoretically independent reviewers")
Advert
Old 07-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Wired has also crapped up the 700.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests

It makes you wonder if they actually review the items they say they review. They seem to be very "pro-kindle" but you would think that would keep them from trying to make other readers actually LOOK like the kindle.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by purl4peace View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so. It kind of makes you wonder WHY they are doing it... to make the device more "photogenic?" Frankly, I look at the pictures very closely on devices like this to see if it is what I would want and I would be kind of ticked off if after reading a review, the device that I got (and the resulting "screen" interface were significantly different -- particularly since I put more weight theoretically independent reviewers")
I agree totally - this is really tacky - for a supposed "independent" review! After all, for most buyers, the screen's appearance & readability are two of the key points in selecting an ereader!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Strange. Just looked at several of their reviews and as has been noted above they all seem to have a Kindle screen photoshopped onto whatever body. I'm at a loss for why they'd do this. The appearance of the display is a significant part of the identity of any of these devices. To make them all look like the Kindle is deceptive at best.

This practice makes no sense; I must be missing something here.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Is it Wired doing this, or are they buying in stock images from somewhere? Not excusing Wired here, just wondering. Even if they are stock images, someone over at Wired must be looking at them and letting them pass. Intriguing stuff.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
It would make sense if they were reviewing pre-production versions of the devices and the photos were just mock-ups. But the review dates on the ones I looked at were well after the devices had been released. You'd think they would have used "real" pictures instead of photoshopped ones.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What on earth are they thinking? Or did some editor just glance at it and approve. I could see being fooled if it looked "right," but that photo looks like it was done in "MS Paint."
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #13
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Exactly, I would think it would be more trouble trying to photoshop the screens than it would be to just pull a copy of the actual device off the respective companies website or if you are doing a real review then just snap a photo of the device.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #14
Stensie4JC
Book Diva
Stensie4JC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Maybe e-ink screens don't photograph well so they are just cut & pasting it to make it look better. Stupid, though, because someone was bound to notice. And no, of the current ezreader and the soon-to-be-released one, neither are supposed to be wireless. Sloppy.
Stensie4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #15
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Wired needs to be taken to task for this. What's funny is that over on the right side of these screens is a link to a Wired article titled "Faked Screenshots Show Google Chrome Frenzy". How about an article titled "Faked Screenshots Show Wired in the Pocket of Amazon"?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote