Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #31
nguyeng
nguyeng began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_g100k View Post

Fortunately I found those in my place. I have ordered the USB-TO-TTL-convertor 3V3 we (without end). Hope it will work.
nguyeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #32
dr_g100k
dr_g100k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyeng View Post
Hope it will work.
It will.
dr_g100k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 12:11 AM   #33
nguyeng
nguyeng began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dx
Sorry for disturbing you again dr_g100k, I have the cable now and tried to connect the device but it failed. I set the line as eps said, used PuTTY with com4, 115200, n, 1 to connect. But some very odd characters appeared and nothing else. When I changed the lines, at last I can contact the device but the input is odd. Can you show me the order of the lines? I used 1-orange, 2-yellow and 3 - black.

Last edited by nguyeng; 10-29-2009 at 07:30 AM.
nguyeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #34
dr_g100k

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyeng View Post
But some very odd characters appeared and nothing else.
odd characters - It's can happened in case of incorrect charset in PuTTY.
OR
if you connected RX to RX and TX to TX Try type something. If you can't see echo change RX to TX
Old 09-13-2010, 02:43 AM   #35
troyme
Enthusiast
troyme began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx US
is it able to flash the 8M rom of the kindle ??because I update a wrong uImage ,the kindle dx became dead and can only go to the recovery mode.
troyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #36
dr_g100k

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyme View Post
is it able to flash the 8M rom of the kindle ??because I update a wrong uImage ,the kindle dx became dead and can only go to the recovery mode.
You must figure out your device root password from recovery tool. Then mk2fs your root partition from any linux box, i.e. don't touch the rom, it's OK.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #37
troyme
Enthusiast
troyme began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx US
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_g100k View Post
You must figure out your device root password from recovery tool. Then mk2fs your root partition from any linux box, i.e. don't touch the rom, it's OK.
Yeah,I recovery my kindle by serial console, just copy back the file I moved before.
troyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:04 AM   #38
echostarman
echostarman began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE DX US
Hi all,

I made a mistake. I erased MMC0.
Can anyone send me the rootfs?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by echostarman; 12-08-2010 at 03:11 AM.
echostarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #39
LexS007
LexS007 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I break my kindle. I can not find gdb, can somebody send it to me?

Last edited by LexS007; 01-19-2011 at 04:11 PM.
LexS007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #40
dr_g100k

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexS007 View Post
I break my kindle. I can not find gdb, can somebody send it to me?
You can find it in gentoo

# emerge crossdev
# crossdev -t arm --ex=gdb (or something like that)
Wiki
Old 10-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #41
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
My Kindle DX Graphite shows the...

"Your Kindle Needs Repair." message of hell

Can I use this for fixing it? I may ask some friend with electronics experience for it. I tried the following method and no success...

http://www.brighthub.com/electronics...es/101814.aspx
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #42
stranger_st
stranger_st began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Hi please help me if possible. I cannot connect through serial connection. I bought Usb-COM-TTL device. It is working as Prolific Usb to Serial bridge. I have disassembled kindle and connection to 4 ports you showed. If I change Tx and RX odd characters occuring but I could not make normal connection. Is it possible connect it while kindle in restart state? Or it should be in recovery state? or in any state I can see connection? I really cannot connect to this serial I think I have bricked it . I leave outside of US. And I cannot have Kindle support.
stranger_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #43
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
well, the needed changing of RX/TX might just be due to a misunderstanding - as what's TX for one side is RX for the other and vice-versa. When characters appear, that's usually a good sign, when they're somewhat broken, that in most cases means the parameters for the serial connections aren't set up correctly. So try to fiddle with the baud rates and maybe data/parity/stop bits.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:35 AM   #44
stranger_st
stranger_st began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Hi thank you for reply. When I connected same as author advised there was not any connection occurrence. When I changed Rx and Tx ports on the device. odd characters were coming continuously. Here is the pic:
From left to right.
1. 5V from converter (where 1 on the board)
2. Tx port.
3. Rx port.
4. Ground

And here is the device.

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

When I change Rx and Tx ports on the converter odd characters are occurring.
What is correct connection config?
Mine is:
Baud rate 9600
Data bits 8
Stop bits 1
Parity None.
May be I did something wrong.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-22-2017 at 07:47 AM.
stranger_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #45
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I'm not sure about the boot loader, but the kernel initializes the serial console at 115200 Baud. 8N1 should be fine. As I said before, what's called TX and what's called RX is a matter of the view point. Of course (as I said before, again) you need to use it in the direction that actually works.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote