Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #31
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Although I started reading Talk Nerdy to Me on Saturday, I set it aside last night when hubby took me with him to pick the kids up at the airport. Driving at night, I decided to carry my Sony with its lightwedge cover so that the light wouldn't cause problems for hubby's night vision. I quickly read through Nessie and the Viking Gold by Lois Wickstrom and Jean Lorrah, a children's fantasy novel which I had purchased from Fictionwise. So, that makes me 3/40 for this challenge and I expect to finish Talk Nerdy to Me tonight or tomorrow.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:48 PM   #32
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Finished 3/25 The Blue Nowhere.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #33
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I quickly read through Nessie and the Viking Gold by Lois Wickstrom and Jean Lorrah, a children's fantasy novel which I had purchased from Fictionwise. So, that makes me 3/40 for this challenge and I expect to finish Talk Nerdy to Me tonight or tomorrow.
Well, Nessie and the Viking Gold was the last book I finished in June. If I had spent another hour or so reading on the 30th, I could have finished another. Instead, I read the last couple of pages of Talk Nerdy to Me as I sat down to breakfast on 1 July. Since then, I've read two other books: Nessie and the Celtic Maze by Lois Wickstrom and Jean Lorrah and Death by Inferior Design by Leslie Caine.

The Nessie books were bought from Fictionwise for less than $2 apiece -- solely because one of the authors was Jean Lorrah whose Sime/Gen books have been favorites of mine. Sadly this series was poorly executed even though the plots were pretty good. They needed to be fleshed out. The print editions of the trilogy run from 85-110 pages each and that's just not enough book to allow for good character development. I think the authors were trying for "chapter books" but missed the mark.

I am now 6/40 in this challenge.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:27 AM   #34
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I am embarrassed to admit that I have over 100 unread books on my Sony right now. [...] So I am resolving to read 50 books this summer [...] Anyone want to join me? Just say how many you plan to read, then check in periodically and tell us how you're doing
I have far too many unread ebooks. I'll join in. Let's back-date to 16th June. Since then I've read

Footfall - Pournelle & Niven
As the Mirror cracks - Steve Jordan
The Buried Pyramid - Jane Lindskold (fun!)
The Puppet Master - Heinlein
Why Evolution is True - Jerry A Coyne
Old Twentieth - Joe Haldeman (disappointing)
Witch High - Anthology
Analog, June 2009
Asimov's July 2008
Asimov's August 2008
Asimov's September 2008
Asimov's Oct/Nov 2008
Asimov's December 2008
Asimov's January 2009
Asimov's February 2009

(Yes, I'm reading through my back-log of magazines.)

So - 15/50 so far.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:19 AM   #35
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I'll finish #12 today
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #36
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
I've made it to 17 completed now. And I've finally got round to making a list of what I've been reading - there's a link in my sig if anyone's interested.

I'm very influenced by my local library at the moment as I've been able to borrow a few things I've wanted to read for a while but a lot of them are on 1 week loan so I have to read them quickly.

I also don't carry paper books around now, so I'm always reading an ebook as well as my library books for when I'm at work or late in the evenings.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #37
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Enjoyed your list! I finished #12 tonight. Capsule reviews and full title list here:
http://e-finds.blogspot.com/2009/07/...ge-update.html
Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #38
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Crap, I missed this before. I'm not sure what I've read since June 15th (my spreadsheet only does months), but I could probably dig it up on GoodReads.

I'm on a roll for this month though. I've read 6 books in 6 days, and I want to see how long I can keep it up. I was hoping to make a goal of 200 books read this year, but moving forward I have to read 18 books a month.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #39
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Asimov's March 2009 finished.

Now onto Mobileread's July book - Three Men in a Boat.

16/50 so far.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #40
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Finished 4 of 25, Garden of Beasts
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #41
Elsi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm on a roll for this month though. I've read 6 books in 6 days, and I want to see how long I can keep it up. I was hoping to make a goal of 200 books read this year, but moving forward I have to read 18 books a month.
Pick up a bunch of YA fiction. Most of it will allow you to read 2-3 books a day on the weekend and if you finish a book every-other day during the working week, you should have no problem hitting 18 books a month!
Old 07-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #42
Elsi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Well, Nessie and the Viking Gold was the last book I finished in June. If I had spent another hour or so reading on the 30th, I could have finished another. Instead, I read the last couple of pages of Talk Nerdy to Me as I sat down to breakfast on 1 July. Since then, I've read two other books: Nessie and the Celtic Maze by Lois Wickstrom and Jean Lorrah and Death by Inferior Design by Leslie Caine.

I am now 6/40 in this challenge.
This morning I lay abed and finished reading Gone with the Nerd by Vicki Lewis Thompson. I'm now 7/40. Yay!
Old 07-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #43
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Hey I want in on this, I'm setting my goal at 25 books. I've got some regular books that I borrowed from people and some audiobooks that I need to clear out so these wont all my ebooks unfortunately. My reading is usually pretty random as I read what I have available and my interests are sporadic

Completed 4/25 (starting from what I read last week)
Michael Connelly - Harry Bosch Series 009 - Lost Light
Charlaine Harris - Sookie Stackhouse Series 001 - Dead Until Dark
Charlaine Harris - Sookie Stackhouse Series 002 - Living Dead In Dallas
David Price - The Google Story

Current Reads
Charlaine Harris - Sookie Stackhouse Series 003 - Club Dead
Mary Roach - Stiff, The Curious Life of Human Cadavers
Owen Linzmayer - Apple Confidential 2.0
*Kevin Maney - The Maverick and his Machine: Thomas Watson and the Making of IBM (will probably get pushed back because I have a few too many books going on at once right now)
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:09 AM   #44
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Completed 5/25
Michael Connelly - Harry Bosch Series 009 - Lost Light
Charlaine Harris - Sookie Stackhouse Series 001 - Dead Until Dark
Charlaine Harris - Sookie Stackhouse Series 002 - Living Dead In Dallas
Charlaine Harris - Sookie Stackhouse Series 003 - Club Dead
David Price - The Google Story

Current Reads
Mary Roach - Stiff, The Curious Life of Human Cadavers
Owen Linzmayer - Apple Confidential 2.0
Michael Connelly - Harry Bosch Series 010 - The Narrows
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #45
ficbot
Wizard

14/50 done! Alien Infection by Darrell Bain. It was so-so. In the books I have read of his so far, he seems to favour characters who, in spite of their sci-fi problem, remain comfortably middle-class and materialistic as well as sex-crazed/attractive/vain. I wonder if any of his books are different.