Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #16
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
no thanks.....I do want to get a netbook, but NOT to use an an ereader. It would be uncomfortable to try and read books on a netbook while laying in bed. I'll keep my 505 for that!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #17
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Aren't two color (green & black, B&W, orange & black) a step back into the eighties? I for one would NEVER countenance a computer that didn’t have at least 64K of colors anymore!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #18
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
No thanks. As long as the ereading devices are as thin and light as they are, there is no way I am lugging around a laptop (or even my netbook) in my purse all the time, every day. I'll stick with my Kindle.
But what about when they make a device about the size of a Kindle DX (i.e. 10" screen and 1/3" thick). A device that can display eInk pages but also supports a color mode that is capable of displaying video (ala Pixel Qi). An all-in-one device that is light and ultra-thin. This is where I see the future headed.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #19
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Aren't two color (green & black, B&W, orange & black) a step back into the eighties? I for one would NEVER countenance a computer that didn’t have at least 64K of colors anymore!

I think you're misreading it. The screen is essentially 3 screens in one - one B&W screen, and two screens which are color. One for use in sunlight, one for use in dimmer or no lighting.

That's how I read it - someone who knows more, feel free to correct me.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #20
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
But what about when they make a device about the size of a Kindle DX (i.e. 10" screen and 1/3" thick). A device that can display eInk pages but also supports a color mode that is capable of displaying video (ala Pixel Qi). An all-in-one device that is light and ultra-thin. This is where I see the future headed.
If the technology to do that was available someone would be doing it. The closest to that around are some of the tablet PCs available (usually quite expensive and three or four times thicker than 1/3"). There is an extensive thread about one of them in here but it’s only a 7” device. Also it runs Linux, so it might not be as “all-in-one” for non-techies as say Windows or OSX or Windows Mobile.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2009, 02:56 PM   #21
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
If the technology to do that was available someone would be doing it...
That's kind of why I said, "This is where I see the future headed." The Pixel Qi screen does combine eInk and color video, and the latest netbooks and laptops are already under an inch, so it's only a matter of time.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #22
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
I do believe we're heading there and PixelQi is the closest we'll have in the near future. It still will be significantly heavier and hotter than the current eInk readers. Those netbooks they show probably have at least a 4 cell battery and are 2-3 lbs. The Kindle has a teeny battery which keeps it small, light, and cool. But even so, I think I would prefer a PixelQi tablet or netbook over the DX for business use. I would not view it as a replacement for my recreational reading. It would be great for reading and annotating large documents I use at work plus I could run the same kinds of applications, have my work calendar on it, etc. I do worry that eInk and it's cousins will fall by the wayside, though. They become a tougher sell when there's a more compelling multi-tasker in the game.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #23
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
If the technology to do that was available someone would be doing it. The closest to that around are some of the tablet PCs available (usually quite expensive and three or four times thicker than 1/3"). There is an extensive thread about one of them in here but it’s only a 7” device. Also it runs Linux, so it might not be as “all-in-one” for non-techies as say Windows or OSX or Windows Mobile.
We'll see true, protable tablet device soon enough--especially if the Apple rumors are true. Something with around a 10 inch tuch screen and no keyboard. Basically like a larger iPhone.

Probably be an LCD screen, so not great for long-term reading for avid readers like the people on this site. But it will be fine for people who want a multi-media tablet device for music, videos, net surfing etc. to occasionally do some reading on.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #24
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
But even so, I think I would prefer a PixelQi tablet or netbook over the DX for business use. I would not view it as a replacement for my recreational reading. It would be great for reading and annotating large documents I use at work plus I could run the same kinds of applications, have my work calendar on it, etc.
Yep, I'm very interested in such a device. Something that can display A4 PDFs without reflowing and allow me to take notes on them as quickly and easily as I can a print out. And such a device also needs to surf the net, display videos, be a planner etc., as I'm fine with printouts and wouldn't buy a dedicated device to mark up PDFs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I do worry that eInk and it's cousins will fall by the wayside, though. They become a tougher sell when there's a more compelling multi-tasker in the game.
I think dedicated readers with e-ink or other easy to read screens will stick around. But they'll remain a niche item for avid readers who read enough to need that kind of screen.

For the mainstream, average folk who read a handful of books a year, they can get by fine reading on some kind of tablet device with an LCD screen or whatever. Those people don't read enough to need, or justifying buying, a dedicated reader.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #25
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Absolutely, it's just that I don't see having "epaper" or "eink" on a netbook is going to be a "Kindle killer" or a "Sony eReader killer." That strikes me as a stupid headline.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #26
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
While I thoroughly enjoy my NetBook, particularly for extensive travel, I have no desire to read books or pubs on it regardless of what new technology is incorporated into a display. It's simply too cumbersome - I'd prefer reading a hardback.

The whole point of a dedicated eReader, at least for me, is the super-light, very small, slim footprint that enables me to enjoy a large library wherever I may be without having to carry large, heavy books or the bulk and weight of a netbook, even if it had the perfect display for reading. For now, my Kindle serves its purpose very well.

For those that prefer an all-in-one device, it will be a nice option with more exciting things to come.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #27
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
There's no way this TFT-LCD will be as clear as E Ink style technology. Since people complain about the clarity of the PRS-700, rest assured this device's so-called EInk mode will be noticeably inferior to most true E Ink readers as well. Still might be decent enough for some though; we'll see.
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #28
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero9 View Post
There's no way this TFT-LCD will be as clear as E Ink style technology. Since people complain about the clarity of the PRS-700, rest assured this device's so-called EInk mode will be noticeably inferior to most true E Ink readers as well. Still might be decent enough for some though; we'll see.
This I don't get at all. I saw another comment, too, about 1024x600 resolution being too little to get enough words per page in a clear font... I have FBReader set up right now with Georgia font at size 15, and a quick count gives me about 140 words per page rotated to portrait. I'm willing to bet the ability to set text and background colors gives me a sharper image than many, if not all ebook readers. Given the near-enough instant refresh, it's probably a more immersive, less 'busy' manner of reading as well--I would rate it more immersive than a mass-market paperback.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #29
etherspin
Connoisseur
etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
this will hurt e-readers to the same degree as mobile phones with cameras hurt digital cameras.. not much
etherspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #30
Tuna
Zealot
Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherspin View Post
this will hurt e-readers to the same degree as mobile phones with cameras hurt digital cameras.. not much
Short and to the point - and absolutely spot on. Agreed.
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote