Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-23-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
matopping
matopping began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505/Cybook gen3
Gen 3 freezing

Hi all, I have had a Gen 3 for a couple of weeks now. The last few days the page and everything else has started to freeze. Reseting cures the problem, but I am now having to do it every day.

Is this a known issue? I have not updated the firmware yet.
matopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:01 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Hi matopping

Welcome to MR...

Is the battery full? - as the charge level falls it can affect the display re-fresh.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
I also have a new observation when it comes to freezing. With the latest update the cybook hangs on the first screen during booting. It happened to me twice so far. After resetting it boots fine. The battery is on 70 %.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
matopping

The battery is fully charged.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:24 AM   #5
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by matopping View Post
Hi all, I have had a Gen 3 for a couple of weeks now. The last few days the page and everything else has started to freeze. Reseting cures the problem, but I am now having to do it every day.

Is this a known issue? I have not updated the firmware yet.
If your CyBook is just a few weeks old you should already have the latest firmware (1.2/build 834). There are a couple of issues known that can cause freezes/errors:

- Only use MOBI/PRC files (you can convert all formats with MobiReader software on your PC).
- Always turn off your reader manually (no Auto-Off).
- Don't use pre-installed fonts (especially Verdana), but free available ones - lots of recomendations here in the forums.
- Just use books from the internal memory and don't use more then 20-30 books (bootup will be faster too).
- Always safely remove your reader from USB (either with Windows functions or special tools)
- Keep your batteries charged well (don't go below 30%, some even say 50).

The next update will (hopefully) be here soon and fix some of these problems, but till then, if you follow these rules you should be fine. After experimenting in the first and reading lots of advices I've had no problems with freezes anymore.
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
I also have a new observation when it comes to freezing. With the latest update the cybook hangs on the first screen during booting. It happened to me twice so far. After resetting it boots fine. The battery is on 70 %.
Occasional hangs on the initial boot screen happen to everybody, with (seemingly) all firmware versions. Happens to me perhaps one boot in 20 or 30.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Occasional hangs on the initial boot screen happen to everybody, with (seemingly) all firmware versions. Happens to me perhaps one boot in 20 or 30.
Nope, no hangs whatsoever in 200+ boots...
Old 05-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Lucky you .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Quote:
Thanks, it's good to know it's not an isolated case. Perhaps it's got to do something with the fact that I read a lot of pdfs lately.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:28 AM   #10
matopping

Well guys thanks for the info. It only has two books on, so far it has not needed to be charged as my wife dos'nt do alot of reading. It was bought because she is visualy impaired the largest font size in bold allows her to read a book for the first time in two years. It only hangs when put down without switching off for 30 min or so. It does not hang on boot.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:21 AM   #11
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
Well guys thanks for the info. It only has two books on, so far it has not needed to be charged as my wife dos'nt do alot of reading. It was bought because she is visualy impaired the largest font size in bold allows her to read a book for the first time in two years. It only hangs when put down without switching off for 30 min or so. It does not hang on boot.
Have you set the Auto-Off function to that value, so maybe it hangs on Auto-Off?! As said before, it's best to turn this function off and do it manually (just displaying a page uses nearly to nothing).

Maybe you can enhance your wifes reading experience further with individual fonts - there are lots of advices on fonts here in the forums.

Some links to threads: HERE, HERE and HERE
Old 05-24-2009, 04:30 AM   #12
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
The first time it happened to me, was with the 7xx firmware. Before that, after many months of use, it never froze.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Used every day for the past 9 months; not one freeze at any stage. Don't use bookmarks and generally only read one book at a time. Lucky I guess....

Books on internal memory only, 120 of them, at last count, all .prc.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:30 AM   #14
matopping

Update on the freezing problem. Thanks to all members for their input.

I emailed Beebook support with details of the problem, and received a quick response.
Their suggestion was to re format the book, which I have done and so far only one hang.

The book does not hang on start up. This book has been a godsend to my wife and would recommend any visually impaired person to give it a test drive.

There is only two books on the reader, both of which i have converted from Epub to Mobi. maybe this is the problem?

I will keep you posted.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
There is only two books on the reader, both of which i have converted from Epub to Mobi. maybe this is the problem?
Hm... Mobi has never let me down so far (and I convert all other formats to it), but do you use one of the pre-installed fonts (maybe Verdana)?!

I use Goudita Sans SF without any problems - you can get it here: KLICK

(Just download all 4 different styles unzip and put them in the font directory on the CyBook. Or try one of the other fonts mentioned here in the forums...)