Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
cremofix
cremofix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
XML input into calibre

Hello folks,

is there any way to import a XML format (all of the german projekt-gutenberg books are published on DVD in XML format)
directly into calibre?

At the moment I have to copy & paste the text into word, then save it as html or rtf and then import it into calibre. It is a lot of work with several thousand books so I am looking for a more effective way. perhaps one I could run with a batch program etc.

thanks
mario
cremofix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Would you mind posting or directing us to a place with these XML books?
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 02:44 AM   #3
cremofix
cremofix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
I tried a little bit
when I trie to convert the attached file wieland.xml I get the following error-mesage:
__________________________________________________ _____________
Job: **Buch konvertieren: Götter, Helden und Wieland**
**error**: (10054, 'Eine vorhandene Verbindung wurde vom Remotehost geschlossen')
**Traceback**:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\parallel.py", line 779, in run
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\parallel.py", line 468, in control
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\parallel.py", line 429, in read
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\parallel.py", line 314, in read
error: [Errno 10054] Eine vorhandene Verbindung wurde vom Remotehost geschlossen
__________________________________________________ _______________

then I renamed the file into wieland.xhtml
now everything seems to work fine. I ´tried this successfully with several XML files

So the problem seems to be with the extension.

thanks

mario
Attached Files
File Type: xml wieland.xml (27.7 KB, 316 views)
cremofix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Good to hear you got it working. The issue with XML is that it is a free form information storage system. With XML content you need to find out what spec it is conforming to and change the extension so the appropriate parser will be used. xhtml, and fb2 are two common XML document formats. Like you said, those gutenberg books are xhtml. If they weren't an XML spec supported by Calibre a new parser would have been needed.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote