Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-06-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Commodor Comeback?

Okay, so it's not mobile, and it's not reading either, but it still might be of interest to the community, so here you go:

'Commodore' to return to the high street

The first look at these will be at the CeBIT show in Hannover, Germany, on March 15. These are reported to be "high performance purpose-built machines" for playing the latest PC games.

Quote:
Bala Keilman, CEO for Commodore Gaming, said, "25 years ago, Commodore launched the best selling personal computer of the late 20th Century, the C64, and defined the early computer games experience for millions of people worldwide. We are privileged and excited to bring the Commodore brand back to the gaming community and mark a new chapter in its history with this exceptional machine. We're sure that it will deliver what gamers need and want."
Full Story
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
How about a C64 commercial from 1982: http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...c=rss-security
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2007, 04:03 AM   #3
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
That commercial is just plain cool...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Now THAT is old souvenirs...

The software that went with it really put an imprint in my mind. The Commodore meant that ordinary people could finally use a computer. It did'nt belong to the company you worked for anymore...

Two years later I bought a Mac for $2400.00CAD. I was earning $3.85 an hour...

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 03-07-2007 at 08:44 AM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I wonder if it will ship with a C64 emulator pre-installed? It would be especially cool if they would get the rights and re-release a pile of old C64 games on a legal CDROM. Some C64 games have never really been duplicated. I particularly liked "Below the Root" and "M.U.L.E."
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
I want my VIC-20 back!
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Ahhh remembering the glory days of Commodore... the C64 was my first computer ever, followed by an Amiga 500, and then by an Amiga 2000. I was a great fan of the demo scene which was quite popular back then.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:20 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My first one was an Apple ][ c -- unless you want to count the Nixdorf LK-3000 'computer' (more of a ROM chip reader than anything -- it came with a chip on the results of the '76 Olympics if memory serves). I think I've still got the rascal ... somewhere.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
After building an S-100 bus computer with a Z-80 CPU card I sold all of it and got an Apple ][ with Integer BASIC in ROM. I think I still have the tape recorder around somewhere. It was fun to program.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:14 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

AppleSoft Basic. Ahhhh. Fond memories.

'course by the time I was programming them they had 5.25" floppies (no HDD). In fact I remember saying I didn't want a HDD (when the 10Mb ones became available) as they were too vulnerable to viruses.

I also remember being appalled that "Might and Magic" required 10Mb of Hard Drive space, just to install it -- now I carry around 4 Gb in my pocket. What a difference a couple of decades makes, eh?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I remember upgrading my IIgs to 1Mb internal RAM -- the RAM came in chips embedded in anti-static foam, and I had to mount them on the board. I couldn't figure out at that time what anyone would need with more than 1Mb RAM.

My first computer was a C64, but that's because we don't count the VT100 connected via 300 baud modem (remember those handset thingies?) to the mainframe at DEC.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I remember saving up to expand the Apple ][ from 16k to a full 48k. And always upper case only.

Ah, the good old VT100s. For a while I had a TI Silent 700 connected to the DEC-10 via 110 baud modem. Thermal paper. Those were the days.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #13
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Hah! You and Bill Gates seemed to have the same belief back in the day.

I remember learning to program on a C64. I think there was a Sinclair in there too. Ah.. and then my parents bought a PCjr; 4.77Mhz and 4/16 colors of glory. I was amazed when we put in another floppy drive and upgraded to 640k. Heh.. Space Quest and Roger Wilco. Good times. Good times.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Heh, Texas A&M was still using VT100's in the library (for the 'card catalog') and computer labs (for e-mail) when I got there in '91, but they'd phased them out by the time I graduated four years later, though the e-mail was still hosted on a VAX. Actually, the hospital I work for now still has one of it's data gathering apps on a VAX -- just got a 'new' (read, still functional) one about 3 years ago, they're transitioning the app to Oracle, but it's a rather big, complex app, so it's taking a while.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:39 AM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I think we just got rid of the last MicroVAX at the university where I work last summer. Everyone panicked because finally 1032 went away, as the IT department had been threatening for years....

When I started in the university "machine room," (back when computers had their own special rooms) we still had a card reader! And some of those big "washtub" disk drives with the removable platter stacks, and a bunch of reel-to-reel drives (which I would mount tapes on all night long), and two DEC-10s. (And a bunch of VAXen.)

I remember those days fondly, but I like my current computing equipment better.