Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #16
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
That's really crappy to hear, and believe me, I can empathize. Having said that, I can appreciate why they weren't able to "do more" for you as well. They are still a business and need to turn a profit. I hope you find a less pricey solution.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #17
nicktf
nicktf has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
Absolutely - please don't think I hold Amazon to be in any way obliged to help me out. I can report that the casing is pretty robust, though :-)
nicktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #18
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktf View Post
Absolutely - please don't think I hold Amazon to be in any way obliged to help me out. I can report that the casing is pretty robust, though :-)

Yes, I understand what you were saying. I was speaking more to those who truly expect Amazon to replace the Kindle when dropped, for whatever reason.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #19
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
(Currently re-reading all the Sherlock Holmes stories in order).
"The Complete Sherlock Holmes" was my first Kindle purchase. Wonderful stories.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #20
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ryan View Post
Hence, if I bought Kindle 2, I wouldn't expect the screen to break after a 30" fall to a hard surface. If it did break, I might think it was a defective unit. Perhaps they left the shock-absorber out at the factory? Or a screw is loose somewhere? Or maybe the internal helium chamber is defective and leaking? It's worth a try.
For the drop test, the drop is from 1 meter +-10mm onto a hard wood surface at least 13 mm thick mounted on 2 19 mm to 20mm thick plywood boards supported on a concrete floor. Following the test the unit has to still work and still pass all other electrical and safety tests. Cosmetic damage that do not adversly affect safety is allowed.

While Nick's drop was less than that in height, the floor might not be the same.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #21
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Shoulda got a Sony. Mu PRS-500 survived a 25 MPH crash off the hood of my car. Of course this is probably not typical. BTW it still works fine. No problem with screen or anything but I did have to file off the sharp edges so I wouldn't snag a finger.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #22
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
"The Complete Sherlock Holmes" was my first Kindle purchase. Wonderful stories.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
I"m sorry to hear you purchased it.

Were you aware that its available free here? Beautifully formatted?

With thousands of other great books for free!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #23
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I've dropped my Sony PRS-505 on the concrete garage floor and it survived with just a slight ding on the aluminum top. I would have to point it out because it's that small. The screen survived with no problems; I'm 5'6, so I think it was a 3 ft drop since it fell out my hand when I tripped! I have not dropped my K2 and I've had it for 31 days!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:11 PM   #24
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
...I'd had my Kindle 2 for about 15 days and decided to show it off to my Father in Law. Of course, I fumbled the removal of the device from its neoprene wallet above the only non-carpeted floor in their house and it plunged 2.5 feet, landing on a corner. So now I have a Kindle 2 with an arc-shaped portion of the screen which is scrambled beyond repair, and no extended warranty. At some point, I will have to pay another $200 to get it fixed, though as it's still readable (though I can't see the wireless and battery indicator and I lose a few words from the first lines), so I may just live with it for a bit (or until the price of repairs drops)..
Two different extended warranties are available (and under $180, even after paying for your one-time replacement). Both must be purchased within 30 days of the ORIGINAL kindle purchase (not a replacement one, as suggested by another). Neither require proof that it still works when purchased, only a wait until after 30 days of purchase to make a claim. Why? Because you can return a Kindle for ANY reason within 30 days and get a full refund....
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #25
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Nick, do you have Paypal? I will spot you $10 towards a replacement.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:29 PM   #26
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Bummer!! sounds like something I would totally do (and am hoping upon hope I won't do!). I'm glad it's still highly readable (according to the pic), but having such a glaring imperfection on a brand new machine is more than annoying.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:28 PM   #27
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I"m sorry to hear you purchased it.

Were you aware that its available free here? Beautifully formatted?

With thousands of other great books for free!
Unfortunately, I had just discovered MobileRead at the time and didn't realize there was such a large selection of free books here. I check here first now.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:28 PM   #28
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
Unfortunately, I had just discovered MobileRead at the time and didn't realize there was such a large selection of free books here. I check here first now.
And you look at this link, right? Especially post #8?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43794
Old 04-01-2009, 06:11 AM   #29
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Oh boy that's a real bummer

I felt the same way after I left my 32gb ipod touch on a desk with a water drenched water coaster nearby.. I left the room, came back 30 mins later...

The water drained EXACTLY from the coaster into the ipod touch, destroying it... Nothing to do but dust off your pride and buy another!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #30
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Bummer :-(
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote