Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Five free books for download

website is www.suvudu.com/freelibrary/

Five free books but in pdf, but can be converted to Kindle format so free books!!!! Worth a few minutes of work converting them.

Me like......
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Thanks for the tip!
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Thanks ...I'm putting them on my Sony though naa na naa naaa naaa naaaaa
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Four of the random house books can be downloaded to the Kindle without connecting to your computer naa na naaa na naaa na

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Engines/...6214111&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/His-Majestys-D...6214163&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Appr...6214198&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Mars/dp/B0...6214229&sr=1-2

(like the Harlequin books, I see a listing for the 5th book with no link, so its probably coming)
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Oh nice!
I was just getting them converted trough Calibre. Good practice anyway! I imagine Sony will also offer them too for prs readers through sony store.

Last edited by MsAstoria; 03-04-2009 at 08:54 PM.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Cool, some good ones in this bunch too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I'll give these a look, thanks a lot!
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Awesome! Wonder why the Kindle version of the Turtledove book is taking so long.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:21 AM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Thanks ...I'm putting them on my Sony though naa na naa naaa naaa naaaaa
Some freebies found at the Sony store...
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

Blood Engines by T.A. Pratt

Assassin's Apprentice: The Farseer Book

Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:12 AM   #10
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
NEW YORK, NY - March 4, 2009 - Random House, Inc. today unveiled the first five titles in its new Suvudu Free First Book Library. Designed to introduce new readers to popular and acclaimed science fiction and fantasy series, the Suvudu Free First Book Library allows readers to access free digital copies of the first book in each series.

The program launches with access to the following novels:
* His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik
* Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb
* Settling Accounts: Return Engagement by Harry Turtledove
* Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
* Blood Engines by T.A. Pratt

The books will be made available through Random House's science fiction/fantasy portal, Suvudu.com (http://www.suvudu.com), as well as on other content services, including Scribd.com and the Stanza ebook reader application for the iPhone.

Says Christine Cabello, Random House Publishing Group Deputy Director of Marketing: "The Suvudu Free First Book promotion provides us with a new digital vehicle to build an author's fan base and is an ideal way to bring new readers to these series."

New titles are scheduled to be added to the Suvudu Free First Book Library on a regular basis. Coming soon are Terry Brooks's Magic Kingdom for Sale-Sold!, Elizabeth Moon's Trading in Danger, and many more.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #11
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
YAY!!! Thanks for the info!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #12
KimmyA
KimmyA began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Cool. Thanks for letting us know.
KimmyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
That's great. I'd planned on buying Assassin's Apprentice and Red Mars anyways and now I get them for free -- pretty smart on the publishers part because they are series and I'm sure they are giving these away to get you hooked.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
That's great. I'd planned on buying Assassin's Apprentice and Red Mars anyways and now I get them for free -- pretty smart on the publishers part because they are series and I'm sure they are giving these away to get you hooked.
Yes -- as the press release says (bold is by me):
Quote:
NEW YORK, NY - March 4, 2009 - Random House, Inc. today unveiled the first five titles in its new Suvudu Free First Book Library. Designed to introduce new readers to popular and acclaimed science fiction and fantasy series, the Suvudu Free First Book Library allows readers to access free digital copies of the first book in each series....

Says Christine Cabello, Random House Publishing Group Deputy Director of Marketing: "The Suvudu Free First Book promotion provides us with a new digital vehicle to build an author's fan base and is an ideal way to bring new readers to these series."
This is the same approach taken by Baen with its 117 free books and TOR's give-away last year. Cory Doctorow has been a very vocal advocate of giving away electronic books as a means of building a demand for the paper books. And, based on the {non}availability of sequels from TOR, it appeared that they were aiming on building a demand for paper books instead of setting themselves up for selling electronic books. Baen, on the other hand, has caught onto the marketplace for electronic books.

I'm seeing a lot of resistance to purchase of paper books among those of us who have purchased electronic book readers, and many of us are making sure that the publishers know that we really want to *buy* the sequels in electronic formats. Things are looking up.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
shima
読みすぎる
shima began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
yay! I especially liked the whispernet links to get them off amazon.com Even if I have no intention of reading them right away, that's the best thing to do since then they are in my "purchases" list and an be archived and retrieved wirelessly again... such a great feature
shima is offline   Reply With Quote