Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #31
F.F.
F.F. began at the beginning.

Device: none
I hope it not comes with the abusive price of iRex...

This realy fits my needs. a good PDF suport with zoom, marging crop and search.
A nice file management (I hope) with rating, and touchscreen. I hope it can handle hundreds of PDFs.

A killer function of my dreams is a full search in all files of the device, not only in the filenames but inside the files. that would be awesome.
F.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #32
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dalliard View Post
So glad I waited for this new generation of devices.
This one in particular looks very impressive softwarewise.

And you can thank all those people who bought ebook readers of current and previous generations. Thus, allowing companies to produce later generations of ebook readers for you and everyone to buy.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #33
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
But in the final analysis it appears to me to be yet another book reader designed by one of Steve Job's non-readers. Seeing devices like this makes me think Steve might be right. Whomever designed this device doesn't enjoy reading, has never disappeared into a engrossing story. To them it's a tool to be used for sketching and designing things, a portable Wacom tablet with storage. An electronic napkin to whip out and record a design on the spur of the moment. Not a portal designed to disappear as it transports you to another place and time.
I agree. This device have a plethora of functions. This will looks good on its datasheet. But judging by the video so far it's sucks at its main function.

In the video the words are cut at the end of each line, without Hyphens. (like th
at).
And it seems the HTML and CHM files were loaded not as a paginated book but as a standard scrollable page (no bottom margin, and the last lines were cut in half vertically)
Scrolling in Eink sucks. I hope this is still a beta.

As for the device in itself, does someone have been able to take one in his hands? What about the build quality and the ease if use? Cheap plastics or aluminum?
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #34
damnaruba
Island bookworm
damnaruba began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Nice

I like it, seems diverse
damnaruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #35
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobelby View Post
- chrome based browser
Actually, it is a Webkit based browser. Webkit is an open source browser/rendering engine which Chrome and Safari are also based on.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #36
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
And you can thank all those people who bought ebook readers of current and previous generations. Thus, allowing companies to produce later generations of ebook readers for you and everyone to buy.
Ok, just blame me for not being able to make a choice!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #37
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, you are right about the button ring. But it's not ergonomically well setup. Think about how you hold your device now. It's not going to work very well just down at the bottom in the middle.
The way I held my Cybook, I kept wishing the button would be in the middle - just where my thumb rested. This looks pretty good to me.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if the words at the end of the lines are going to be chopped in 1/2, then what good is this thing going to be for reading?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #39
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
if the words at the end of the lines are going to be chopped in 1/2, then what good is this thing going to be for reading?
that could just be a flaw in the ebook displayed, not in the software. maybe it's just a poorly made book.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #40
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Quote:
...but, if this is a preproduction demo, who says it won't go through several firmware iterations until they have all the key features nailed down.

The photo on the website said "TODO" on a couple of the features such as free searching in .TXT documents so I doubt that the firmware is fully mature yet.

Judging by the bebook/hanlin firmware releases, it can work to the user's advantage that the manufacturer is actively looking to improve/update the firmware.
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #41
layel
layel began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Quote:
I think that is not a bug but continue reading mode in PDF just like iLiad. It depends on your pan distance.

I think it's the document problem if you mean the text files in the video.

Last edited by layel; 03-01-2009 at 09:39 PM.
layel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #42
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I see they mentions text to speech like the Kindle. Will the Authors Guild go after them too?
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #43
dek
Enthusiast
dek began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600, iPod touch
This does look really good. I guess the device has capability to have a dictionary look-up feature.
dek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
I see they mentions text to speech like the Kindle. Will the Authors Guild go after them too?
My guess would be yes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
No. Just like the EU doesn't go after Apple for "bundling" a web browser or a media player/center because they are not the "big fish".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, onyx