Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #16
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I like it!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #17
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
It looks very promising. I loved the fact that it had an onboard rating system. The multiple format viewing features is also very attractive. I wish, though, it had a touch screen instead of requiring you to use the pen to swipe.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 12:49 AM   #18
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Watching that presenter using that stylus to flip pages was giving me writer's cramp just thinking about trying to read for a couple hours flipping pages with my fingers wrapped tightly around that stylus.

One thing both Kindle's got right for me is big fat buttons that you forget about after awhile and just click without thinking about it. And since they put them on both sides I can unconsciously relieve the stress in my hands and arms by passing the device from one hand to the other.

The Sony PRS-700 has the touch screen swipe but the thing that keeps it from disappearing in my hands is the need to be precise with the swipe. If you get too sloppy it doesn't recognize the swipe. Plus when you transition from one hand to the other the device insists on using the same motion. If Sony had put in a Command Button and used any kind of non-Command Pressed swipe I made to mean Page Forward I would have found the device much easier to forget about.

The Boox looks like it would boil down to hopefully using that big ring navigator to flip pages.

But in the final analysis it appears to me to be yet another book reader designed by one of Steve Job's non-readers. Seeing devices like this makes me think Steve might be right. Whomever designed this device doesn't enjoy reading, has never disappeared into a engrossing story. To them it's a tool to be used for sketching and designing things, a portable Wacom tablet with storage. An electronic napkin to whip out and record a design on the spur of the moment. Not a portal designed to disappear as it transports you to another place and time.

Come on guys. Lay down with it on a couch and read some engrossing escapist piece of fiction and flip the pages with that stylus and tell me you don't rip up the design and start over. Pull up a novel that makes you laugh like Use of Weapons does me and tell me you can flip the pages whilst laughing from your belly.

Remember: 99.9% of the time the user wants the book reader to flip the page forward. Go back, ponder that, bring us some magic in the next YouTube video. Seriously, some good advice here.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:55 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The thing is, we don't know if the button thingy they have on the device will be used for paging or not. All they were doing is trying to show off the "gee wow" features.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:57 AM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Jon, if you watch the video you'll see a next and previous button with the OK button in between.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Jon, if you watch the video you'll see a next and previous button with the OK button in between.
Yes, you are right about the button ring. But it's not ergonomically well setup. Think about how you hold your device now. It's not going to work very well just down at the bottom in the middle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
E-ink not just for ebooks anymore. While name the device "Boox" may not be the best for this multi-purpose device, I really like seeing the envelope pushed.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:49 AM   #23
layel
layel began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
From the video and the photos they released, I can see the boox supply a double side keyboard and the front side include maybe ¡°Menu¡±,¡°Preview¡±,¡°Next¡±,¡°ESC¡±and ¡°OK¡± but the back side can not see the details.
layel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:53 AM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The thing is, we don't know if the button thingy they have on the device will be used for paging or not. All they were doing is trying to show off the "gee wow" features.
And that's why you shouldn't decided after only a producer's video...

I'll really need to find their stand on the CeBIT, I'm starting to like it more and more...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:59 AM   #25
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Very impressed. We'll have to see if the new jinke / bebook can live up to the standards set by this device.
What I like from the video:

- font and zooming choices way better than the current 6 inch readers
- pdf support looks really good (I have a few novels in that format so important to me)
- the page turning by button or swipe.
- new controller with the 16 greyscales
- WIFI - hurray (someone actually heard us and chose this over 3G)
- chrome based browser
- design and looks (now I'm keen to see the cases)
- searching (that means I can eg load my own oxford english dictionary in which case I don't care about mobipocket dictionaries)
- OPEN formats (are you listening amazon). One question - how is .lit support

I'll be watching retail developments of this very closely.
Cbell, hope you're reading this in Melbourne Australia and seeing if you can stock it at dadirect. This one could be a hit
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:13 AM   #26
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobelby View Post
I'll be watching retail developments of this very closely.
Cbell, hope you're reading this in Melbourne Australia and seeing if you can stock it at dadirect. This one could be a hit
Agreed. After watching that video I'm very tempted to buy one of these myself for a portable alternative to my DR1000S.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:30 AM   #27
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
that's an impressive piece of kit - and it looks nice too.

shame such a large area of the front is taken up by the button - they could have made the front dimensions smaller or the screen larger .... (lol)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #28
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Hmmm!... Sketching.... That's what I first liked about the iRex.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #29
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Hmmm!... Sketching.... That's what I first liked about the iRex.
Not the most ideal surface, though ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #30
archerwoo
Enthusiast
archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3;Ip4
god it's amazing !!!!!!!!!
who knows the price?
archerwoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, onyx